Tidal flow maps

Big_Shank

Does anyone here use any kind of tidal flow maps to predict the directions of currents during the changing tides? Example: I want to do some drifting from Sydney this Monday for flounder and Hali from Sidney down to James island and back. I know when low and high tides are, but I'm not sure which direction the actual flow is moving. I'm hoping to take the outgoing tide down to James island, and the incoming tide back towards Sidney. If anyone knows of said map with arrows showing direction of flowing tides please let me know, any info at all would be greatly appreciated!

I believe the ebb runs south in the Haro and the flood runs north.

Someone else may know better than I.

Thanks for the replies, that chart is great for the speed of the flow but doesn't actually say what directions the flow is moving. I am specifically looking for a map type of chart with arrows pointing in direction of the currents. I have seen it before online somewhere but can not for the life of me find it now. Can anybody else confirm mhbradley is correct on the direction of currents to tides in the Haro straight?

Cheers!

"This may be the one you have seen with the animated currents/speeds:
http://www.deepzoom.com/"

Similar to this yes, but I'm looking for one that has the arrows in Canadian waters too...

As for the Murray charts, Murray refers to what now? Sorry to sound like such a noob.

I use Navionics NavPlanner 2 on my home computer for tides and currents before I head out. The closest current I have is SE Sydney Island. Ebb flows 170deg and Flood flows 0deg.
Hope this helps.

Murray's tables most accurate. get the tables and then buy the current book..It shows you the flow direction.. there is no online thing I have found as accurate myself.

Last edited by a moderator:
Download the Navionics to your smart phone.. The nearest current station is Kellett Bluff which is in Haro strait and close to where you want to drift.. The next nearest is Turn Point… It will show you direction and speed. The App is $15.00 but worth every penny..

Derp!

I have Navionics, I never knew it had currents. Just found out how to bring up the currents. Thanks for all of the help everyone.

current atlas from DFO Juan de Fuca to Georgia straits is what might help. shows hourly ebb and flood for every type of tide. You have to do a little calculation at the front .

its available in most book stores with charts.

Last edited by a moderator:
I purchased, Nobletecs tides and currents. Yes $220 but amazing details and 100 % correct for thousands of BC and world places. I print the table for the place and day for both currents and tides, have on hand in boat as ref. Excellent product.

HM

A lot of pros are using the app "Ayetides"
Plenty of stations, and a graph of tide height or current for the day when you turn your phone sideways. Great for looking ahead at future dates as well. It's been pretty accurate so far.

There used to be a Freeware or OpenSource one available for Windows PC's -- it was a bit clunky, but showed the currents in extreme detail locally -- all the back eddies and flows with various speeds etc. I had it installed on an old PC and it worked great. I can't seem to find it any longer online. Anyone know the program I'm thinking about?

Back