2015 Bamfield and Barkley Sound Reports

Check RockyPointCharters, Ken keeps his reports pretty up to date.

Sorry Guy, I didn't post much this week, I missed my deadline. I don't post reports on here most times but here's the skinny for the past few days.
Over the past week I've had some of the best spring fishing of my life and some of the worst. There's tons of small springs offshore, and lots of little Coho and pinks.
5 mile, 7 mile, south bank, lighthouse bank all have fish. Lots of pinks showing up everywhere.
The Wall, Kirby Point, Edward King, Swale Rock, and probably every where else inside has a few nice springs and some Coho. The inside Coho are bigger than offshore.
Have patience. If you are marking feed and fish sooner or later they will bite.
Good Luck

Right on thanks Ken, cyah in a week! Loved the shot of Murray and the boys, looks like you guys killed it.

Just got back, we tried 7 mile and 10 mile notta,went out to the Rats Nose 2 days in a row,lots of coho mostly wild, and pinks lots and lots. To avoid them I tried going down to 190 feet , first fish was a pink. We did manage 6 smallish springs at 90 to 120 feet.But we hooked and released a lot of fish for the 6 fish.We got pulled over by the dfo and police and had a complete check of fishing gear, licenses .etc, police checked boat licence papers, operator certificate, radio op certificate, and all required safety gear. life jackets, flashlight, sound signaling device, fire extinguishers,heaving lines. If you are required to have it on board they wanted to see it. So you are not immune even out at the Rats Nose. Anyway back to the fishing report, yesterday morning we decided to fish Swale for a couple before coming home picked up a 18 and a 25 in less than 40 minutes. one on T REX hootchie at 90 feet and one on an anchovy at about the same depth.

Just got back, we tried 7 mile and 10 mile notta,went out to the Rats Nose 2 days in a row,lots of coho mostly wild, and pinks lots and lots. To avoid them I tried going down to 190 feet , first fish was a pink. We did manage 6 smallish springs at 90 to 120 feet.But we hooked and released a lot of fish for the 6 fish.We got pulled over by the dfo and police and had a complete check of fishing gear, licenses .etc, police checked boat licence papers, operator certificate, radio op certificate, and all required safety gear. life jackets, flashlight, sound signaling device, fire extinguishers,heaving lines. If you are required to have it on board they wanted to see it. So you are not immune even out at the Rats Nose. Anyway back to the fishing report, yesterday morning we decided to fish Swale for a couple before coming home picked up a 18 and a 25 in less than 40 minutes. one on T REX hootchie at 90 feet and one on an anchovy at about the same depth.[/QUOT

Headed out that way this weekend. Would you say it's better to stay inshore then? Just based off your report I'm leaning that way.

As far as the police/dfo check, good to hear they are checking and staying visible, even way offshore. The only thing I think I don't have is my radio operators certificate. I did a radio operations course (Forestry related) in 2004 but no certificate or card. I know the basics of radio operation but where does one get a certificate for this?

Thanks in advance

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey SJoe use the search function and check back a couple of months ago there was a discussion on radio licenses.
I wouldn't discount a run or two offshore for sure as well as some of the better known inside haunts.

We were in Bamfield for 7 days last week. It was my first time there and overall I'd say we didn't do very well for fish, it certainly was not the mecca of fish that we had heard it was but that said we were newbies to the area and probably didn't know the spots very well. To our defense the outfitter at the dock said he fished 9 hours on the Wednesday and only brought home one fish for his clients. He said the week before it was hot but had cooled off and the best fishing was offshore at big bank. Being new to open ocean swell fishing and we had no other boat with us we decided that was just a little too far for a first trip out even though I knew the boat could handle it. So we fished Cape Beale, Bordelais (got a couple springs here), Kirby (got some cohos here) as well as Aguilar to Whittlestone (again some Coho action) and the wall (only one small spring). Did go offshore a bit past 7 mile for halibut on the Tuesday, sat there for 6 hours only hauling woofers from the bottom. However the weather was pretty awesome all week and we had some great day trips with the family to beaches in the broken group so overall cant complain, still ate fish and brought a little bit home too. Tried for prawns at a known good spot and didn't even pull one up! As a side note we did run up to Mactush one morning for sockeye but I think we got there just a little too late (6am!) and only managed one in the boat (others were boating a bunch around us but having never fished for them before I got the feeling there were some tricks that we were not aware of). I'm sure now that we are back home the fishing will pick up again out there. Oh well, thats fishing!

SmokinJoe, if the weather will let you run offshore, one thing I did not mention in my last report that we got 3 Hali , 2 actually bottom fishing with salmon bellies, but the 3rd one was caught while trolling for salmon with anchovies.So lots more action outside with reasonable expectation of getting some Halibut.

a little heads up , the road isnt quite as dusty as this thread ,
rolled in last night in my work van , didnt exceed 40 kmh ,
2hrs comin in ,not towing worst washboard ive seen in 10 years ,
busted my sway bar in half , take ur time , especially if ur towing ,

not sure why its so bad , maybe somthin to do with the heat and hazards ?
hope it gets sorted soon to get some of the toys in here safely !!

fishin is good !!

fd

Cree was good to us today in the morning.. 4- over 20's, all red footballs!! Big chovie and brown turd .. On the bottom!!

Not sure why they checked for Radio License unless you are from another country. It hasn't been required since 1999. See this from Transport Canada site

http://strategis.ic.gc.ca/epic/internet/insmt-gst.nsf/en/h_sf01775e.html

On March 17, 1999, Industry Canada published in the Canada Gazette an amendment to the Radiocommunication Regulations. This amendment provides for the exemption of "radio apparatus on board a ship or vessel" and "radio apparatus on board an aircraft" from the requirement to hold a radio licence.

Ship Radio Station Licensing
Licensing Requirements
Do I need a licence for the marine radio equipment on board my vessel?
You will not require a licence if you meet both of the following criteria:
• the vessel is not operated in the sovereign waters of a country other than Canada.
• the radio equipment on board the vessel is only capable of operating on frequencies that are allocated for maritime mobile communications or marine radio navigation. You can verify whether the frequencies you use are in the maritime mobile band by referring to Regulation by Reference RBR-2.

Fished Kirby point Sunday evening ...boated 3 springs 10-18lb purple flasher green teaser/anchovies....fishimg 80-120 in 180-80 ft of water....

Fished kirby mon morning boated 3 one 24lb same set up....

Also fished the top of Edward king and beal....was slow for us....few coho and shakers...

Back