Sooke2015

Hit up Secretary this morning. Bite was on from 10:30-11:30, as we landed 3 hatch coho, 1 pink, lost a 15-20 lb Spring near the boat, oh and snagged a poor diving bird which we were able to real ease without injury. What a nice day on the water compared to yesterday.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are hatchery Coho open right now?

Fished 7:30am until 3:00pm today, mostly in the Trap down to Beechy area. We counted nearly 60 boats in that area, although did not see much happening. First couple of hours nothing for us either except a small unclipped coho on the herring side which was released. At 10am finally had a good hit on an anchovy at 89 feet in about 120’ of water. Boated a nice 15lb hatchery Chinook.

That was it for us and did not get another touch for the remaining 5 hours. But hey I’m not complaining. Any day we get an elusive summer Chinook is a good day!! Weather remains unbelievable too. There has been hardly any fog this August. Water still seems to have a bloom of algae like particles in it giving it a sort of greenish colour. Climate change effects growing stronger……

Fished 7:30am until 3:00pm today, mostly in the Trap down to Beechy area. We counted nearly 60 boats in that area, although did not see much happening. First couple of hours nothing for us either except a small unclipped coho on the herring side which was released. At 10am finally had a good hit on an anchovy at 89 feet in about 120’ of water. Boated a nice 15lb hatchery Chinook.

That was it for us and did not get another touch for the remaining 5 hours. But hey I’m not complaining. Any day we get an elusive summer Chinook is a good day!! Weather remains unbelievable too. There has been hardly any fog this August. Water still seems to have a bloom of algae like particles in it giving it a sort of greenish colour. Climate change effects growing stronger……

Yep EM now picking spots now based on what water is doing, and its paying off...Interesting how you got it at 10 (LOL) remember that and do it again. Will be out tomorrow..

Last edited by a moderator:
I hope he doesn't take that 10 o'clock is the magic time..literary. LOL Wish it was I could get so much more sleep!!

I hope he doesn't take that 10 o'clock is the magic time..literary. LOL Wish it was I could get so much more sleep!!

It helps better when your in an area where boats are not wailing by close to shore :) So 10 is the magic time. Good grief maybe you can take him out and actually help him instead of criticizing just saying.

Criticizing? Lighten up Jerrod just joking around. Some nice Coho showing up out west but all the nicer ones were wild. Big enough to come off the rigger like a spring.

Fished Otter tonight 3-6.. Went 3 for 4 and all were around 12-15# Released them all.. Bite wasn't hot and heavy but there were fish being caught.. Wind picked up so moved to trailer park side and hit one more and 2 other boats had fish on..

Was out in the kayak today, Gordons beach launch, had a plan to head out to the light for the end of the ebb, but I noticed that the race rocks predicted ebb current till 8:00ish was already a flood at 6:00 am. Wondered if this is this a typical timing scenario between race and sheringham.... Headed west and managed to boat a couple of low/mid teen springs. Never made sheringham. Used a green kite tail flasher and anchovy 40 pulls. old school. Figure it was 50-60' down. Done by 10:30.

Ya like zfish I also can't make sense of the current predictions. Make a plan, then change it when u get out there and see what the current is actually doing I guess. Also watched a kayak almost get rundown a couple times by inattentive boats at muir. I'd like to say they probably didn't see him cause he's so small, but then some of these boats don't seem to see me either and I'm in a normal size fish boat. Tis the season I guess can't wait for September.

Skipped Sunday and Monday as we did not want to bounce around in the slop but did get out today. Increasingly we also have been doing the Chinook catch and release bit to save room on the dance card for a few fresh winter Chinook, but could not resist keeping this big red which is going to St Jeans to be turned into Lox. Caught on glow plastic down 70 feet on the rigger trolling across the current at 3.3mph. Also kept a freakish large mutant Tyee Pink, for the novelty.

Attachments

• WP_20150825_015.jpg
    WP_20150825_015.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 492
Skipped Sunday and Monday as we did not want to bounce around in the slop but did get out today. Increasingly we also have been doing the Chinook catch and release bit to save room on the dance card for a few fresh winter Chinook, but could not resist keeping this big red which is going to St Jeans to be turned into Lox. Caught on glow plastic down 70 feet on the rigger trolling across the current at 3.3mph. Also kept a freakish large mutant Tyee Pink, for the novelty.

Nice fish......again! Too bad it wasn't white.

What a hilarious day. Caught a tyee pink, and released.. Damn there getting big now... A few smaller pinks..Got a few teen springs, and lost a decent fish that looked in the 20's...Spit hooks. Still decent fishing. Not bad for only 4.5 hours of fishing... I laughed so hard one of the springs I caught was at 10 right on nose..LOLOL. How weird is that?

Ya like zfish I also can't make sense of the current predictions. Make a plan, then change it when u get out there and see what the current is actually doing I guess. Also watched a kayak almost get rundown a couple times by inattentive boats at muir. I'd like to say they probably didn't see him cause he's so small, but then some of these boats don't seem to see me either and I'm in a normal size fish boat. Tis the season I guess can't wait for September.

I was the only yak at Muir in the morning, so could have been me, and I know that people can't see me. What happens is guys put their heads down for a fish or baiting or whatever, and the boat, well, steers itself, right? Except is won't steer itself, wind and tide push it off course and soon enough your heading right into the my path. So I holler, not to be rude, just so you know I'm there. I am pretty good at anticipating these crazy Ivans cause its clear that no one is actually driving at the moment. Thankfully, I have managed to dodge all these moments to fish another day.
The current thing in that area seems like a big back eddy which changes according to the height of the tide maybe?? maybe some of the pro's can enlighten me; today was the same, a flood current in Orveas bay when I thought it would be an ebb.
Today was a skunk for me. Launched at the g-spot, paddled west, then east to second rock, a few hits, non stickers, and a pink went back. To quote Englishman, back to being a mere mortal, after a great limit day yesterday. Thought I was hot, but now i'm not. Laffs, that's fishin.

Rockfish and I took a friend out for the afternoon and evening bite. It was a beautiful calm day on the water. We were able to rustle up a couple of red springs for our buddy.
20150826_193127.jpg

Hit church rock for a attempt at a night bite.
One good hit at 7 then no action. Went back into pedder for a couple passes in the bay. Lots of life on the finder but no action.
Anyone know what time the bite happened at yesterday night I heard one boat picked up 4x 15-20# in a short period just before I came in.

I took a couple of buddies out on Thursday this week, found some fish at Otter, including a nice size hatch 'ho - we went back on friday but only one 10 lber, guess they moved to Sec/Poss, i knew we should have went there, all on anchovy. My buddy did try a knew way of filleting a pink, bring it up to the boat then feed it through the prop guard on the kicker, almost stalled it but not quite, to funny tho'

You guys rule, great meeting you 3 amigos and thank you for the tips and yummy prawns. We'll be back at Sunny shores next year, hope to see you then.

You guys rule, great meeting you 3 amigos and thank you for the tips and yummy prawns. We'll be back at Sunny shores next year, hope to see you then.

Thanks savagefan, nice meeting you also and your family, have a nice winter in Calgary, don't worry about us as there will be lot's of Coho coming in and Hali fishing is good, winter springs will be here before we know it!!

Fished Otter and Muir yesterday, not much doing till later afternoon. Fished 6am-4pm, 2 Springs red 14 and 8. Had two really good fish on. Lots more coho and pinks around. Coho are hammering the line. Had two wild coho 9lbs or so, released. Didn't see much going on there was a few fish caught but for the number of boats fishing pretty poor for springs, its going to pick up as rain is coming and fish will get moving

Had a good afternoon/evening fishing yesterday. Two springs 18 and 20, a pink and a hatch coho. Had another 3 springs on - one very big - snapped my leader. The 18 spring was white and will be eaten fresh tonight w some out of town relly's.

Back