New Guy

zpruden

Hello
I am new to the site and am looking for some info. My family and I are making the move from Northern Alberta to Vernon BC. My kids and I love to fish and am wondering if anyone could give some suggestions on a good starter lake. We are used to fishing for pike and walleye.
thanks
Zach

No pike or walleye around these parts. Looks like you will be making the switch to rainbows. There's lots of lakes around Vernon. Kalamalka and wood lake have lake trout, rainbow trout and Kokanee. Take your pick and go fish it!

Thanks for the info. I cant wait to get out on the water. Do these lakes have boat launches and or motor restrictions

All of the big ones have a few launches on them. Mountain lakes will usually only have 1. Are you bringing a boat with you? If so, how big?

I will be bringing my Crestliner 1650 sport fish has a four stroke, and I plan on getting a down rigger when I get there

Go to Surplus Herby's in Vernon. Some of the guys in the fishing department are very helpful, some just sell stuff.

Ya you are probably right on that, and thanks for pointing me towards the store. On that note I really prefer to shop at locally owned stores over big box stores. Between Vernon and Kelowna can anyone recommend any other fishing/ outdoor stores?

Troutwaters in Kelowna is good. They used to be the best fly shop, now they are still that but have other stuff to make them the best all around fishing shop in Kelowna. Experienced staff. They have a big father's day sale if you are in the Okanagan by then.

Welcome Aboard Z maybe now your in BC you might come and visit your dad on the Island and maybe drop by for a cold one.or two....

esora

I'm always up for a cold one. I will have to get you out this way to do some lake fishing. Thank you for the tip on Troutwaters, I checked them out online and will definitely check them out, I'll just drop my wife off at Costco first lol

You got tired of Alberta winters too huh?:D Okanagan, Kalamalka and Wood will provide you with hours of entertainment. Mabel Lake north of Lumby (this one has a special place in my heart) has big lakers and salmon as well as rainbows for lighter gear. Lots of mountain lakes for some great fly fishing too.

Up here in Cold Lake the Ice is still on the lake this time of year, so the lakers will be swimming shallow this time of year. When we went down to buy are house in Vernon all the water was open, so are the fish swimming deep this time of year, and do the rainbows go deep as well?

I've fished for lakers in early spring when the surface temp was in the 40s. I thought they would be shallow too but were catching them on the bottom in 80-120 ft. The trout are up top so bucktailing works pretty well as well as trolling in the top 50ft. I'm heading out to okanagan right now so well see where the fish are hiding!

Back