Sooke 2014 Fishing Reports

Did West today slow again .. One smaller spring,a hatch coho,and a pink... Went out for sockeye absolutely nothing. This has been a very tough season for fishing this July/August.. At least for me.

Good day for us today. Landed 6 out of 7 springs 17-22 pounds. All 3 depths I fished took fish. Started at 6am and done by 2 pm. A lot easier to stay on the fish without the thick fog of yesterday. The breeze was cool again today but otherwise not that bad a weather day.

Wow, I caught a diving bird, aucklet I believe, last night. Never had that before. This one was at 40' so it came to the surface quick....but just barely, it was't in great shape.
I caught one today too treble in web of foot tried to get it out but had to cut lien and let it go...To hard to handle and get in boat... Felt pretty bad about it...

Have caught 3 of those in past 2 days...only 1 got away alive. What's with the brown gulls that are so persistent about getting your bait when trying to drop your gear? They are really annoying!! Have to bring the bait in the boat and wait for them to move off.

I think brown seagulls are immature seagulls. Because of the pecking order they play second-fiddle to the adults. So they have to get their lunch where they can....

Out today from 3:15--to 8 pm--1 coho at the Head and a 24 lb white at the island on strip, 45 ft.

There was a good bite at the head around 6 pm, saw guys with 4 nice ones at the dock.
T2

Last edited by a moderator:
Good day on the Wolf boat limited out on springs a sox and a coho to boot purple was the ticket today , trolled in 90 to 120 ft of water...still sounds like its spotty some fish in certain areas small schools of them if your at the right place at right spot.
Some guys are getting them some not because of this or just follow pro around it seems all the fish are under his boat... LOL

Good luck to the derby guys this weekend i say a fish over 35 will win it....white!!!!!

Good luck wolf

A little late on the report...picked up a 29 off Possession on Wednesday. Mint pearl teaser head, 44ft on the downrigger.

Limit of 4 springs today but down in size from yesterday as the largest was about 17 pounds. Didn't seem to be the number of fish around as yesterday and had to work at it. No real bite for us. Lots of small feeder springs today and went through 3 trays of anchovies.

Dad was in town from Kelowna yesterday. Fished PNP from noon till 5. Caught a few throw back rockfish and a small undersized spring. Did the old "lets give it 10 more minutes" and trolled up a nice 31 # Hali on a purple coho killer. When Dad was here last year he got a 38# spring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Slow morning for halibut face. Hit otter in the dark, got a crazy wild coho that released himself. Sheringham was the Dead Sea, and then got a random 20# west of sheringham. No bait showing, lots of sea lions, caught one seagull and another wild coho which swam free. Missed a good tug on the rod as well. All in all this season is at best inconsistent.

"All in all this season is at best inconsistent."
My thoughts exactly.
Disappointed today as I took out two friends who rarely fish but we were skunked this am in the fog at Otter (aside from one wild coho as we headed back and went deep for sockeye). I'm interested to see the derby results.

Hundreds of boats out all weekend and so few reports is telling. I was out both days, had 2 undersized released yesterday around Otter, and in 5 hours today, not a bite in the Beecher Bay area. Saw a couple caught yesterday, and 1 today, and most reports on the radio were gloomy. Except for one of a 25-30lb fish caught at the shack around 9 this am apparently.

There were lots of sea lions passing through, some playing or fighting and putting on a good show.

Last edited by a moderator:
Out west today and just a 12 pound spring, lost a nicer one long line release and a 8 pound wild coho released and that was it for 8 hours effort. SLOW

Yes zed, a tough one for sure. I took a friend and his kids out this morning. Showed them a good ol' skunking.
Good to see you out there again Zed...

Out today for a few hours today (sun) with another daughter, she picked up about a 13-14 lber, and was pretty stoked about it for sure, also a couple of hatch coho. Did not see much in the fog.

Attachments

• IMG_3634.jpg
    IMG_3634.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 620
Fished all weekend in derby.
Saturday 3springs 17,17,18. Caught by 11am. Nothing from 11-5
Sunday 1 spring 12lb.
Fish were deep.
Real slow. Nice weather though and caught some fish. Just not the one I was looking for.

Tips

Pulled boat yesterday for a Cowichan trip so decided to head out in the soup for a bit. Trolled 11-2 from possession to trap shack and back to secretary then straight out to 300'. 3 rods at all depths with bait, not a sniff. Sockeye gear went on, 5 flashers on 3 riggers. Again, nada. Oh well, that's fishing. CO at prestige said it's been the slowest weekend this season, hope it picks up yet.

Fished Satuday and Sunday and honestly, if I put that much time fishing the Saanich inlet I'd probably would have caught more fish. We put in 2 full days and just one decent spring to show for it. I didn't see a single fish netted or played over 3lbs, out of the 100's of boats out there.

I was thinking of leaving the boat out there for the rest of the month but forget that, they aren't coming guys, there's no late run around the corner. We had a super moon(huge tides) and rain a week ago, if that didn't bring fish into the area it ain't happening.

Boats going back to the inlet to swim and drink beer in sun, not worth freezing in the fog for me.

Back