If you live on your sailboat how do possession limits apply?

Islandgirl

A friend of mine lives on his sailboat. Since that is his normal place of residence possession limits do not apply as I understand.
But...
What documentation does a person need to prove the place of residence is on the sailboat and go by the letter of the law?

You cannot can or even clean/eat them until you are at your place of residence....

yes I know what you are getting at FD but some people DO live on their boats/ sailboats.

I'd assume you would have to be at your home port. (i.e. address on fishing licence etc.) to have any chance to argue your possession limits if questioned. Interesting question though.

Talked to DFO..yes Bryce.
You need to be at your own Dock slip, port or mooring bouy for it to be considered your home port!
Defintion of residence is in the criminal code..

So no eating crab, ling or maybe even a salmon sandwich while you are out on the boat!

Last edited by a moderator:
A friend of mine lives on his sailboat. Since that is his normal place of residence possession limits do not apply as I understand.
But...

What documentation does a person need to prove the place of residence is on the sailboat and go by the letter of the law?
The correct answer there is check with DFO and get that in writing (I did), as you will probably need it sooner or later. I actually had a 50' that was my place of residence and I did check with DFO concerning possession limits (years ago). I doubt if a sailboat large enough to live on will ever be checked, unless it is displaying gear. Unless, things have changed (which they probably have) If you do have more than the possession limits on board (1) Need to have proof it is your place of residence (e.g. drivers license, electric bill, etc with the boat listed as the address). (2) Is how that address reads (e.g. is it a slip at a marina or the boat in care of the marina). If it reads a slip, you might find yourself in trouble anywhere other than that slip. (3) I actually complied with the first two as my mail was delivered to the "boat" in care of the marina. (4) DFO was very clear and warned, if any gear displayed or being used - it is then considered a fishing vessel, subject inspection and possession limits. IAW... If they ever see a fishing pole off that boat, they ARE subject to inspect and possession limits WILL apply! The letter I recieved from DFO was very specific about that warning basically telling me I can have a normal residence and tie a fishing boat to it and be fine; however, the normal residence cannot be used as both.

Again, if anyone is going to have more than their possession limit onboard any boat, it is best to get anything like that in writing from DFO and have that onboard. I actually carried that letter the whole time (over 6 years) I owned that boat. There was NEVER any gear EVER used from that boat - NEVER EVER! That had "Yank's" boat siezed in Canada written all over it! :eek:

As also stated that was YEARS ago - things change!

This is one of those cases I think where it would be painfully obvious if you lived on the sailboat. I think that if you had 15 fresh hali in the bilge of an 18 footer, you would be in trouble, but if you had a freezer, fish clearly packed and frozen from pervious days, your entire life, and something abour such as a few pieces of mail you would be fine. A lot of what happens with a charge is at the discretion of the officer, if it looks like you live there, chances are you do.

Explaining a couple dozen rockfish in the bottom of a 17 foot Double Eagle just because you have a sleeping bag would be another matter.

Back