Salt water noob

Can you folks with all the experience give me some ideas on what type and size of boat is good for the chuck?I"m considering getting into it but with a limited budget of coarse.Probably looking at $10,000 to $15,000 range.Thanks for your help.Good luck out there.

it really depends on what your planning to do with it. You could buy a 14-16 foot alumiunm with a new tiller motor with that budget. You could also find yourself some older but nice fiberglass boats. You will need to think about where your going to be fishing inshore, offshore or crossing the striat!!! with a 10-15k budget you will be able to get on the water forsure shop around and do some research.

On your budget i would look for an older , repowered 17.5 double eagle or Mailibu Tyee with at least a 90hp outboard.
sometimes you see these older hulls in really good shape with newer 4-stroke power in your price range.
just my .25c

Good luck :)

Check my 21 ft center console. Low hours well maintained. Decided to buy larger,that's the only reason I'd part with ithttp://www.usedvictoria.com/classified-ad/2002-Hydra-Sports-Center-Console-21-Foot_16672378

I bought my boat 4 or 5 years ago in that price range. I was looking for something with a cuddy cabin, ideally walk-around, 18-20' ... small enough you can easily trailer it, launch it solo, but big enough it can handle some slop without fear. Perfect for inshore fishing and maybe, just maybe, can get offshore on the perfect day. I settled on either the Campion 542 or Trophy 1802. I really like Arimas too, but eventually gave up because I found they were too expensive used for the age of boat/motor you get.

I found a really good deal on a campion in Everett via craigslist. At that time, it was about 5 years old and had low hours. It was about 40% cheaper than comparable boats for sale in Canada.

For a trophy 1802, here's a decent price if you feel like going for a long drive:
http://norfolk.craigslist.org/boa/2823194044.html
You can find crazy cheap boats in eastern USA.

Another option to consider locally is the SG Power packages with a new Double Eagle 16' with camp return 50hp. The boat is a rough and ready fish boat, nothing fancy but NW made and solid; a little underpowered, but good enough. A little out of your price range at $20k, but you're talking a brand new boat. That's pretty sweet. http://sgpower.com/Marine/NewBoatPackages/tabid/78/Default.aspx

Or a random boat from Everett ... http://www.boattrader.com/listing/1994-Bayliner-2359-Trophy-100405981
This is the boat size and design I'd really like. Just not an inboard and not 18 years old. And therefore no longer $15k and out of my league!

Finally some wisdom from a boat broker, that at the time I didn't listen to and paid dearly for it ... used boats come with annual maintenance and upgrading that is directly proportional to its original cost. For example, for $15k you can choose from a brand new 14' aluminum boat with new power; a few year old 16' double eagle; a 20 year old Trophy 2359; or a 40 year old luxury yacht. They are all $15k to get in but they are exponentially different in what it'll cost you to keep them running. It may seem like you're getting a lot of boat for that $15k, but what you're buying really is an expense stream! His advice, keep it simple and avoid 2-foot-itis, go with the newest boat you can afford that'll just meet your needs.

Another way to go is to buy brand new power, then get a semi-disposable boat you can hack around in and not care if you trash it, just get another. When you buy a $10k boat, you can think of it as buying a motor with a hull attached....DON'T get fooled, it's 99% about the motor. No matter how nice & shiny the fibreglass on that 20 year old boat, it probably has rotten wood under the surface, they all die eventually. And save yourself grief, don't (DON'T) buy an older inboard!

Wow, some quick advice became a long and rambling post .... sorry 'bout that, hope it helps a little.

I came to the coast 3 years ago- bought an explorer center consel "fishing machine" with a 65 merc-7,500.00-was a good boat, but small- was easy to sell when I got 2 foot itis- bought a used proline 21 walk around cuddy- spent a fortune upgrading it- added a hard top and new optimax with 4 stroke 9.9 kicker--didn't turn out to be what I wanted, and lost my shirt selling it for the price range you are looking in.--decided on a tin boat so I didn't have to worry about the rot under the pretty fibre glass...24-25 ft tin boats are 75,000.00 plus new- didn't want to spend that much for a boat to sit in the drive way 90% of it's life...so..bought a commercial crabbers 24 ft center consel alumn boat with cab and 85 Johnson - got it up north for cheap---removed everything inside the self bailing hull- about 28 thou later I will have a full pilot house with head-suspension seats, hyd steering, trim tabs, HDX electronics, 2 helms and twin 150 optimax--Oh ya- had to buy a new trailer for 4 thou.....it's been a fun ride, but probably won't catch any more fish than you will with the entry level boat...just my new west coast experience..LOL so stay safe and have fun--like cars and sometimes with wives- it takes a while to find what you really want!

decide what you want the boat to do the most ?

then see what you like glass or alloy both have good and minus points

as stated inboard/out or outboard // kicker if it has

personally would go with a good full cuddy cabin walk abouts you loose to much and the cabin just becomes a storage space.

18'-22' will be a good place to get into a good boat and safer out on open water
best bet try go out on a few and see what appeals to you

sure a few of the guys on this board would not mind giving you a ride out

throw in some monies for bait and gas go fish

and if your on the sunshine coast i'll take you out....lol

we have a little collection going on 3 boats
19 zeta for sale glass
22 biddison cuddy (my baby)glass
17' oceansport alloy

dream boat now go's to that 33' seasport or a 28' big osprey with a pod

I'm with Craven 17 ft Double Eagle or Malibu, Tyee, Hourston with a 90-140 Hp. Great all round boat. Easy to trailer and if you go with the bigger motor good for the lake to pull a skier. I would start with something like these and if you like it you can get a bigger boat later and still be able to sell the boat you start with easily. IMHO

This is a biased opinion but I would say a 17' Arima Sea Chaser. Biased because I am an Arima owner. Takes much less to power an Arima over Trophy or Campion. This is because it's much lighter. What ever you choose, make sure there is no rot! Find a boat with a 4 stroke too. A well maintained 4 stroke to be more specific. Stay away from inboards.

Like Juandesooka says, much cheaper in the states. For your price range, not quite worth it to buy from east coast and have it shipped, but I would look at boats in Washington. I purchased my Arima from Neah Bay, just across the strait.

Another thing I think is necessary for fishing here is a window and canvas that protects you from the winds and rain. Ideal to has side and drop curtains. Also think should be able to stand and drive under the canvas if it's rough out. Perfect is a hardtop you can stand under.

my 2 cents.

Last edited by a moderator:
x2 on the covered and enclosed canopy ... it is miserable out there in an open boat. Can be done, sure, but the fun wears off pretty quick in the rain and wind.

I have a oil injected 2 stroke. It is a bit stinky and not as fuel efficient, but gets the job done. For sure get a 4 stroke if you can though.

Oh, and spend the $ and get a super good kicker, brand new or as close to brand new as you can find. This will be what you use 90% of the time fishing and every time it starts on the first pull, you will feel so very happy knowing that no matter how fubar it might get with your other motor (and murphy's law says it generally will eventually), you should be getting home with a call for help.

Once you get your boat, I have all kinds of ideas about not having half assed wiring and about redundant systems and then double redundancy ... vhf, cell phones, gps, batteries, etc etc ... all born of those semi-disasters that make a good story later. Ah, once you put the $ down on your boat, you're in for a ride ... woo hoo! :)

.....spend the $ and get a super good kicker, brand new or as close to brand new as you can find. This will be what you use 90% of the time fishing and every time it starts on the first pull, you will feel so very happy knowing that no matter how fubar it might get with your other motor (and murphy's law says it generally will eventually).....
X2!!

Remind me to tell you Guys sometime about finding our way back from offshore into Renfrew Bay and up the river in a howling wind & rain and complete dark-all with a 6hp POS barely pushing a 19' Lifetimer-not something I'd ever want to repeat.

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/rds/boa/2780190094.html

bet me to it burnsy....lol

go buy this if its not gone

you can always upgrade later this is a boat i would buy if starting out now

and don't need a 1 ton to pull it you can launch it easy
and it will sip fuel

and best of all its all set up to go what more do you want!!!!!!!!!!!!

besides my Zeta needs a slower prop as she moving to fast for trolling at the moment (4 clicks)
and i don't want to go through the hassle of fitting a kicker bracket to the swim grid when she up for sale?
let the new owner do that if the want to use her for fishing
looks like i be flinging over a big bucket or a large drift sok in the mean time....lol

X2!!

Remind me to tell you Guys sometime about finding our way back from offshore into Renfrew Bay and up the river in a howling wind & rain and complete dark-all with a 6hp POS barely pushing a 19' Lifetimer-not something I'd ever want to repeat.

Was the fishing any good?

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/rds/boa/2780190094.html

bet me to it burnsy....lol

go buy this if its not gone

you can always upgrade later this is a boat i would buy if starting out now

and don't need a 1 ton to pull it you can launch it easy
and it will sip fuel

and best of all its all set up to go what more do you want!!!!!!!!!!!!

besides my Zeta needs a slower prop as she moving to fast for trolling at the moment (4 clicks)
and i don't want to go through the hassle of fitting a kicker bracket to the swim grid when she up for sale?
let the new owner do that if the want to use her for fishing
looks like i be flinging over a big bucket or a large drift sok in the mean time....lol

I was gonna look at this boat but thought it was a little over priced. It's was at $15,900 when I was looking. That was like 4 months ago. He might be willing to move more, but it does seem like it's set up well. If you want to have a closer look at one, hit me up. I'm in Victoria. Throw some gas money and we could go for a fish.

I really like Arimas, and I wanted one until I started shopping seriously for them. My budget was $15k too ... but I couldn't get my head around maxing it out on a 25 year old boat. On the positive side though -- you get what you pay for and hull could/should still be solid as long as it is not the years with wood stringers. Power is newer, as is trailer and canvas ... so the moving parts should be good for a while. So $15k will get you a boat you can probably trust. Maybe the biggest positive of an Arima is resale value -- because people are lining up to pay what seems a bit much (to me), you will likely be able to find someone to similarly pay too much when you sell it.

A random search found a shop in Portland with some used boats -- cheaper arimas and one Trophy 1802:
A 17' arima sea chaser in Oregon, 1987, $8900 ... but not sure how old power is. http://tinyurl.com/6rfewux
17' arima sea ranger, 1988 $10,950, http://tinyurl.com/6vn3ppb
and a 2004 trophy 1802, $17,900 http://tinyurl.com/7m455gy

Shop around in USA, there's bargains to be found down there.
(google hint: you can search all craigslist sites with one command by putting in your search term then site:craigslist.org or site:craigslist.ca if searching Canadian sites...very handy!)
Example: enter following in google
arima site:craigslist.org
trophy 1802 site:craigslist.org
campion 542 site:craigslist.ca

It's cheaper in the long run to just go on charters............that's what all my clients say that used to own boats

or be a boat *****, lol.

Back