Toyota Tacoma Camping Ideas???

Steelhead S2

I have a late model Taco. I also have a young family. So the ol' hiking tent isn't quite so attractive as it used to be. Any other Taco or small truck owners have good ideas on how to resolve this problem? Seems like there really aren't many slide in campers that work, and those that do are really costly. So maybe a small trailer? But with a trailer, I think I'd lose the ability to get into more remote places, and I don't want to be stuck in camp grounds. Plus, then there is the issue of transporting a boat. So maybe just a bigger tent? Thoughts?

I have a Tacoma Double Cab, and this is what I have. Purchased it for all the reasons you stated. The front deck is made to hold a quad. The rails come off and make ramps for the ATV. I also have a 10ft inflatable with with a hard floor that folds up into a case, then I can load it on the front deck as well as bikes, coolers etc. I just clamp the outboard onto the rail. Lots of different makes, Fleetwood Evolution, Starcraft 13RT. I bought what I did because I got a smokin deal

http://www.thegreatoutdoorsrv.com/Rockwood/190XR/SD530013k.JPG

That looks pretty cool. Plus, still leaves the box free for saws, gas, and other things you don't want to haul inside the trailer.

I looked at one of these back when I had my SR5. Sleeps 4 easy and folds down well below the overheight on the ferry. I have only seen a couple in the last few years. I found this one by googling "box tent camper". I think it weighed about 500lbs.

1122kc_19.jpg

Actually if you wait there are cheap ($1500) import campers that come up all the time. Dosnt seem to be midclass. They are either cheap and a bit leaky if you dont keep on it or really expensive 5000 plus. Im not a fan of pop ups but I do winter and spring camping. And dont want to worry about bears. Also ground clearance sucks on anything but the bling ones. But definelty beats a tent. Hold out for a import camper, you just have to be on it, they go fast.

What about a wall tent?

They are super comfortable, lots of space for the family. You could even have a wood stove if you like for late fall and early spring camping.
We use one for hunting all the time, and I love it.
It is as comfortable as my camper in a different way.. would be way more comfortable than a camper for a family IMHO

IMGP1262.jpg

IMGP1264-1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I just welded up a rack for my boat to go on top of the truck and got a 100 canopy, put air bags in the truck and loaded it to the nines ! not the best solution ... but it works

Lots of good ideas here. I could probably deal with a cheapo camper, cuz I could fix it up a bit too. I just never see the cheap ones I guess. Like the wall tent idea too, but seems like a lot of set-up for a weekend outing. Thanks guys.

Lots of good ideas here. I could probably deal with a cheapo camper, cuz I could fix it up a bit too. I just never see the cheap ones I guess. Like the wall tent idea too, but seems like a lot of set-up for a weekend outing. Thanks guys.

I've owned three wall tents over the years. Just bought a new one and fabricated a pole kit for it. My wife and I have it set up and the woodstove going in about a half hour.
Even though I have a camper we spend a lot of time in our dome tents. A quality name brand dome tent will handle anything that mother nature can throw at you.
Dave

Those big butt canvass tents do look like fun if you were there over a week. I would think it wouldnt be good in the rainy season. Mabey if you put down hay or something. I could see it being very muddy. Hunters do seem to love them. I find theres not usually a ton of room for trucks, quads, boats etc never mind flat tent area. I always wondered everytime I went into Costco as saw that huge 10x10 setup, how many people bought it as got screwed trying to pitch it. Ill keep my eye out in shoot you a pm if i see a import camper come up. You on south VI?

I agree with you Vetteman... Our tent goes up in under and hour...with the stove in it, and that is after unpacking the truck. I have set up small tents that take longer than the wall tent.

My camper is great for me by myself..

It is a full size 9.6" camper it is a little squishy for 2 people IMHO
I have a hard time imagining a family in a camper being comfortable.

Last edited by a moderator:
Right with you Island Girl!

Spent a LOT of time living out of wall tents, hunting, camping and field research in the Arctic. They do not take long to set up, are warm, dry, ROOMY and downright comfortable. Used to have 5 of them, and have set them all up at once (gear tent, cooking tent, work (lab) tent and living quarters. Unfortunately my best one was lost a couple years back - accidentally tossed out with the usual Christmas waste (by a buddy, NOT me!). Still a Good Buddy, and I know he'll eventually replace it. Still have one of Fort McPherson's Double Wall jobs - fantastic for winter/cold/rainy settings.

NO way I'd go to a camper again having had these (and campers too btw). They offer a lot, and I like my 4x4 to be free to do what it does when I get there...

Cheers,
Nog

As for the squishy factor, It would really only be for sleeping in. Probably stick to cooking outside, as that's a great part of camping. Plus I have spent so much time on boats, squishy is kind of second nature. Wall tent seems like a great way to go for longer trecks, but for me, not the right answer for a weekend outing.

It seems like not that long ago I pained over a similar decision that you are now....lol One of the biggest factors that has to be taken into consideration IMO is what type of spouse do you have? No offence to any of the ladies out there but as we all know they can be the main source of our happiness or unhappiness while we are out enjoying what we love to do. I remember distinctly my wife telling me "Why don't we get a tent......it'll be fun!" Fun......for who???? Not in my house especially not with kids. Just picture laying there almost asleep and any number of things will now happen.......#1 "Honey.....I have to pee.....can you come with me?" #2 The sky's open up and now you find out just how good your tent is that you put up in an hour when you are packing it up muddy and soaking wet the next morning after NO sleep" Keep in mind this is what would happen in my world....lol And finally #3 "Honey!!! There is something outside the tent!" Awesome....another sleepless night! Needless to say I didn't find the perfect solution because I think it's like boats. Everyone one needs three......because they all are suited best for one thing. Same is true in the camper/tent/trailer dilemma. In the end we opted for a camper.....full size truck mind you and it has served it's purpose. That being said however we did buy a cabin last summer......thus proving that everything has it's time. I will still keep the camper though because again it will suit me best for mostly guy trips from now on. I wonder if I asked my wife if she would still like to get a tent!?! lol Best of luck in your decision.......:D

I don't know if it would work but have you seen the truck tents from Cabelis

Reelslim...you got it right

Happy wife = Happy Life!

:p

Back