Best Bottom Paint to use

cloud

Hi Fellas.....What product do you recommend for painting the bottom of boats ? I am sure this has been discussed before......i cannot find the thread. Thanks

Cloud

fibreglass i am assuming? ever been bottom painted before? prep is the key!! i always used interlux micron CSC .. part #5583 black.

Yes.....fibreglass...and never been painted. The boat ( 21 footer ) stays in the water for about 4 months at a time.....winter and summer.

Cloud

I like Pettit Hydrocoat - water-based, less nasty to apply, easy cleanup. After several summers without bottom paint, I got tired of the cleanup effort every September. Five summers in SE Alaska so far with good results on first application. Make sure bottom is really clean. I used a de-waxing solvent after thorough washing to be sure, then 2-3 coats of a sandless primer. No sanding needed.

Last edited by a moderator:
x2 on the CSC - first application is a bit of a pain due to the prep, however, from then on it's as simple as cleaning, and then just re-applying right over the old stuff. Last application took me about 1 hour and only used 1 pint to cover my 26' bottom.

international paint 640 comes in red, black, blue, it's a commercial product, all the big shipyards use it, a 30 to 40 percent cheaper and the commercial guys get a 3 years out of it

I will also give Micron CSC the thumbs up. Changed to it, 2 years ago from interlux "bottom kote" I think, and although a lot more costly, CSC is just a way better product. If you are trailering your boat, on/off etc.. CSC takes that really well, and also takes being out of the water as well, such as being stored over the winter.
As well, I also support painting your bottom black. Did the "bottom kote" in blue, in my opinion it was just a pain in the butt, saw all the marks from the rollers on it, saw all the algae etc... Black, and CSC all the way. My $0.02

Back