Tales From The Tyee Pool.......2020..

Good day all.

Has something changed regarding posting photos that I'm unaware of?

I ask because I seem unable to post a photo using the "Upload a File" button on lower right like I used to be able to.

Can someone enlighten me please?

Thanks.

Take care.

Hi Dave,

I uploaded pics yesterday using the Upload a File tab and it worked fine. Here are a couple of pics from my rowing night with you 6 years ago...can't believe it has been that long! Sorry the night shot is a bit grainy...doesn't do the Skipper any justice! :) Anyway, if you are still having trouble, perhaps PM me and we can see if I can help.

Brian

DH.jpg

DH1.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Dave,

I uploaded pics yesterday using the Upload a File tab and it worked fine. Here are a couple of pics from my rowing night with you 6 years ago...can't believe it has been that long! Sorry the night shot is a bit grainy...doesn't do the Skipper any justice! :) Anyway, if you are still having trouble, perhaps PM me and we can see if I can help.

Brian

View attachment 55334

View attachment 55335

It's always worked for me too, but I tried to upload a pic of my new collars for Aces and it buffered forever but didn't upload anything.

I'll try again.

Thanks.

Take care.

If the upload process seems stuck it may be because the file size is too large. If you're uploading direct from a modern phone the file size is often too big. One way to resize it on the phone is to email the photo to yourself....the mail app will check what file size you want...large seems to work for me going from iPhone XR to SFBC board with good image quality. Save the pic from the email and upload this to SFBC

If the upload process seems stuck it may be because the file size is too large. If you're uploading direct from a modern phone the file size is often too big. One way to resize it on the phone is to email the photo to yourself....the mail app will check what file size you want...large seems to work for me going from iPhone XR to SFBC board with good image quality. Save the pic from the email and upload this to SFBC

Thanks for the help but I'm on an older laptop that has a few glitches for sure but until now it worked fine for what I do. I've restored it back a month to see if that would help.
No joy.

I went back to using IE and accessing the site the old way, but nothing changed.

I then noted I'd lost my Desktop and Icon access to Google Chrome, which I've used the last couple of years.

Weird indeed.

I also did a "quick" scan but it came up clean, so here I am, baffled somewhat.

I tried moving my photos from where I download them from my camera to another folder but that didn't seem to change anything.

I'll keep poking away at it and if I can't fix it I'll take it to my guy.

Take care.

Eureka!!!

Think I may have figured it out with help from you guys. Seems it IS size related.

I note this pic makes it look like the bottom end of the collar isn't flat on the oar but it's a bit of an illusion, as the collar is flat, more or less.

Anyway, I think I know now what to do to make my pics happen.

Thanks again.

RSCN6179.JPG

Take care.

Looks like you will have to stick to your day job Dave!! Or get a young person to show you!!!

Got 'er sorted out I think Bobber.

Was that you sniffing around my Cabezon secret spot the other night?

Pre-scout all you want but you'll never surpass my Cabezon catching talents amigo.

Give it up. LOL

Take care.

Well we have now entered “Hogust” and any day now the tyee will start coming in on the thread. Hopefully one by yours truly in the next couple weeks with the help of the skilled author of this thread! Good luck out there folks can’t wait.

Did my inaugural row for this season last night with an old pal from Victoria and his pal from elsewhere and found the glitches that always appear when something new is involved.
Long story short, the contact cement I used to help hold my new oar collars didn't contact very well and one slid out of place on about the fifth pull on the oars.
Did the rest of the night with one oarlock working on wood, which led to what one may call a "squeaky" experience.
At the end of the row we took the oar home and remedied the situation with the application of a couple of well-placed wood screws.
I'll fix the other one too, tomorrow morning.

Not all was lost, however, as we did as good as everyone else out there, insofar as we bothered no fish either.

Also, the peripheral scenes to the actual fishing are mostly pretty good, so here's a couple of pics for your perusal.

RSCN6189.JPG
Sunsets can produce a fiery look sometimes, as last light endures through the trees.

RSCN6192.JPG

Back of pal's head and my marker "tree in the vee" showing to the right. A dozen or more boats out but no action.

RSCN6191.JPG

We did get a nearly full moon rise that added to the scene, and here's what it looked like once it got above the mist.

So there you go, another day and evening in Paradise.

Wouldn't want to be anywhere else.

Take care.

Eureka!!!

Think I may have figured it out with help from you guys. Seems it IS size related.

I note this pic makes it look like the bottom end of the collar isn't flat on the oar but it's a bit of an illusion, as the collar is flat, more or less.

Anyway, I think I know now what to do to make my pics happen.

Thanks again.

View attachment 55339

Take care.
Thanks for the picture! Those do look familiar. Think I used 2 part epoxy on mine. But that was 30 years ago

Wow, what a couple of days it's been since I made my last post.
Around four hours after that time, (12:20 PM Sunday) I started to not feel well and not long after I was full on into what could only have been food poisoning.

Spent Sunday night sitting on the throne with a plastic bucket at hand as it was what I call the old "double-ender", not a fun time.
Yesterday was spent slowly recovering and I went to bed early last night to get back to normal, more or less.

Anyway, aside from all that, we had a near-miss last night as a beauty 28 1/2 pounder was weighed in, falling just short of being the first Tyee.
Bob tells me it was taken about 9:00 PM or so, not terribly long before dark, the classic time.

Anyway, going to fix my oar problem today as I feel much better health-wise and a bit more encouraged now that a decent fish has been subdued.

Can't catch them if they're not there. LOL

Take care.

Heard a 34# was caught solo but the angler wasn't registered.

Apparently true, but the angler didn't bring it in to be weighed as apparently isn't interested in making the club or may already be in, unsure on that.

Bob says he never saw the fish but has heard the story.

Definitely encouraging news.

Now if it would stop raining.

Take care.

Just as a personal update, I'm pretty well back to normal physically speaking, plus the drawn-out saga of doing what appeared to be something so simple even I could do it has finally ended.

Without fleshing out the whole darn story let me just pass along that it contained worn-out oarlocks, the purchase of what should have been the easy replacements for same, the discovery of a size difference between the new and the old, the development of a plan to fix that, the exhausting of two large batteries effectively rendering my drill useless, the eventual purchase of the bit required to enlarge a hole, stripped screws (not as sexy as it may sound), killing of time whilst batteries were charged and the final finish to the job ably assisted by old pal Burt, the first guy I ever rowed a Tyee for.

But she's a done deal now and we're ready to row.

The most fabulous thing to happen this past week was my receiving a lovely little package from Paguy (Shannon) which held a near pristine Lucky Louie Red-Eye Shovel-nose plug along with four hook harnesses and hooks.
I am truly broken-hearted he cannot come visit this year and try it himself in the pool, but I'll give it a good swim on his behalf using one of my other highly trained rod-holders and we'll see how it wiggles.

Hoping to get out tonight and catch the top of the flood at dark.
Might be some new fish in this tide.

Hoping so, anyway.

Take care.

When I lived in Kitimat I used to backtroll hotshot plugs for springs in the river. They were a very effective lure. I used a single hook on them with no weight. When they are tuned properly they dive a respectable distance and wiggle like hell. My two best colours were black with silver speck, yes the same colour as the popular flatfish colour, and the other colour that worked well was full metallic blue. You can also get them with a rattle. With everybody pulling lucky louies and large spoons you might want to give hotshots a try, you never know.

Love your tales from the tyee pool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just looked and saw a couple of intrepid rowers venturing forth, but it is not a night for me.

Aside from that, it now appears the story of a "34 pounder" being boated but not weighed in is not accurate.

Why someone would sully the impeccable reputation of this annual thread with a false report or an exaggeration of any kind will remain a mystery to me, given the absolute purity of thought and deed I thought I had established these past few years on here.

What I do know, however, is that among such an august band of intrepid anglers, like those who hangout here, such things can not be lightly tolerated, even in this day and age when half the lies one hears aren't even true. LOL

Finally, in a brazen attempt at influencing the catching of the first Tyee of the year, I am announcing right now that if nobody registers one tonight or tomorrow morning, I am getting one with FishAssassin tomorrow night.

I sort of promised him.

Take care.

Sorry, I just reported what I was told by a director of the club. So the rowed 34# didn't happen? I sure hope a fish in the 30's isn't a contender for Tyee man (person).

First Tyee of the season weighed in tonight.

I have no other information but will update in the AM soon as I can.

Take care.

PS: Heard about the 100 pounder at Rivers Inlet?

Check Central Coast Reports.

Back