YOU HAVE BEEN SHAFTED!!!! --Oh ya!!

Right on Chris!

You have nailed it here. I look forward to attending. I believe that this issue represents the tip of the ice berg - if we don't remind DFO that quota based fisheries don't work for us, then we can expect them to move this approach to other species like salmon very soon.

With the rec sector only accounting for 12% of the TAC, it sure makes sense to me that this isn't a conservation concern. I always thought that our TAC was assinged by the IPHC based on sound conservation principles and extensive science. My understanidng is that no one is asking DFO to fish over the national TAC, its all about how that TAC is "allocated".

As far as I'm concerned, its time to show DFO that the rec sector still has some TEETH!

See you there...

Gooey.

Steve man, thats a whole lot of exclamation points there . LOL

( no harm meant, good to see your enthusiasm:D )

I've decided to haul my boat downtown Friday as well.

Hope to see a whack in attendance.

HL

Sorry, I promised a few others who e-mailed me directly I would not take the bait...but one last point before I bow out of this.

This is a CONSERVATION issue. Anyone who has been involved in the process and followed the Halibut Commission data, press releases, meeting minutes etc. knows that the overall size composition of the halibut is down. It is disingenuous to suggest otherwise.

Therefore, it is a conservation issue because all users were asked to reduce their catch by a lowering of the allocation to all. The split between commercial and sport remains unchanged, but the numbers of fish available to be harvested was reduced for everyone to protect future stocks....that's why this is a conservation issue first, and an allocation issue second.

Even if we believe our own press clippings, the public will not buy our line that we have been shafted. All Joe Public will hear from DFO is all users contributed to the conservation effort by reducing their allowable retention. Or at least that would be how I would message it if I were DFO...and after DFO mops up the floor with us and makes us out to look like some greedy sporties only after our self interest, they will pull out the conservation card and we will be made out to look like crap. That is how we will lose in this effort, and again I urge Chris and others to be careful about positioning our message so we do not fall into the pending trap.

And if you think the DFO guys haven't already figured out their game plan...there are no secrets...I believe this forum is in the public domain, so they already have figured out the weakness of our effort here.

The whole idea of a protest rally is a good one, but unless we can come across as putting conservation first (and mean it), we stand to lose out by being painted as a bunch of self interested killers. Better if we came out to lobby for a fair system of allocation so that all users have to do their fair share to conserve for the future. Similar message, but it is more defensible in the court of Public Opinion.

I hope my fears about this rally are completely unfounded. Good luck to you!

quote:Originally posted by OldBlackDog

Good idea, quite obvious you have no idea what constructive criticism is....judging by some of the other posts, having more people involved (every angler, guide, lodge, Joe public) is a good thing....your building quite the reputation for your negativity....if you think for one moment I don't support the rally in Victoria you should be posting somewhere else.....you must be part of the "OLD BLACK DOG CREW".......
---------------------------------------------------------------------
FishingBC, I find it difficult to believe that you were unaware of this, with all your contacts in the guiding business?
Everyone got the notification on the same day....SFI put something out almost a week after that...no person I know was asked to give any input from outside of the capital region...we are all aware of this rally and it's a shame that the organizers didn't reach out to those of us in all other regions to really put "BIG ONE" together....now don't get all bent out of shape....just constructive criticism....for any of the guides, guides associations, rec anglers, lodge owners etc from Nanaimo north to Port Hardy, Port Alberni, Ucluelet to attend on a Friday (work day for most) is a stretch....to haul a 24-28 ft charter vessel down to Victoria is again a stretch...this, to me anyway is a missed opportunity for the whole sector to get the message across, from one end of the island to the other....regardless a good idea....

Searun-- re-read what Gooey said:
quote:With the rec sector only accounting for 12% of the TAC, it sure makes sense to me that this isn't a conservation concern. I always thought that our TAC was assinged by the IPHC based on sound conservation principles and extensive science. My understanidng is that no one is asking DFO to fish over the national TAC, its all about how that TAC is "allocated".
\

That is exactly right-- it is NOT a push to go over the TAC. Its to achieve a fair access to OUR fish... Surely this cant be that hard to understand?????????

I would suggest that if you dont agree, then YOU organize the next rally and do it your way. I bet the commercials are laughing thier heads off at how this thread has been twisted.. "Hey guys-- these idiot sporties could not agree to work together if thier lives depended on it. They are no threat to us taking 88% of the TAC!"

Its time for us to work together-- not snipe at those who ARE trying to do something under the guise of "constructive critism" or "Thats not how it should be done" or "I have a better idea."

I am not able to attend the rally because of personal commitments that cant be changed.... so I will thank in advance all those who do show up on behalf of all angers, including myself.

Intruder2-2.jpg

20ft Alumaweld Intruder

More info from Region 1 BCWF President:

quote:I got some great news today, Mel is flying down to Victoria to be part of our "Halibut Rally". The executive feels strongly that they wish to support us on Vancouver Island.
I ask if there are a few members who would be willing to drive down to Victoria on Friday the 8th.
Please ask them to contact me and I'll pass on any information that
they need. I'm going down with my boat and BCWF Banners, I'll be
driving the route,but I just ask members to show up in Victoria at
about 9:45 at the Parliament Buildings. There will be a media table.
Assemble there as we will have Paul and Mel speaking on our behalf.
Chris will be speaking on behalf of all South Vancouver Island Anglers(BCWF included). Martin and Andrew will be speaking on behalf of the> Marine operators and Marina operators.(We need them for our moorage,> gas, bait and local tips.)

The more we have supporting Mel, Paul, Chris, Martin, and Andrew the
better. Sorry for the short notice.

Ted

Intruder2-2.jpg

20ft Alumaweld Intruder

quote:Originally posted by fishflyguy89

A question to you Govonor! Me my grandfather and My Dad, are all anglers of victoria! We all want to stand for what is ours! What do you suggest we without our boats there should do! it will look silly if we are driving along in our cars! looking out of place? Anything would help! as i will be there! And where do we meet? and what time? i seem to not be able to locate the initial info on this event!

-Thanks! STEVE!!!!!
Hi Fishflyguy89

Great to hear you and your family's enthusiasm in supporting the Shock and Awe Rally.

First off, a car or pick-up truck (sans trailer) with two of our Shock and Awe message signs on it won't look out of place at all (signs will be available at Dallas Road by the Trotac end of the cruise ship parking area at 9:00 a.m., even better if you made a sign up yourself) Second, if you are really not into your car being in amongst the trailers, park off the Inner Harbour and walk down to the corner of Government and Belleville for 9:45 a.m. where the spokespeople will be.

Just being there is what will make all of us anglers show our strength and unity against the halibut allocation injustice.

Thanks so much for your support and see you there,

Gov

God never did make a more calm, quiet, innocent recreation than angling - Izaak Walton

Well thats the thing;

I think what is most important is for the recreational /sports sector to unite once and for all and show DFO that we are not about to roll over for anyone! If you think about it why wouldn't they just do what they please with our resource. We have never before shown our dismay in an organized fashion. At least with no real significant impact anyway. It is much more in their favour to fullfill the demands of the big corporate entities to ensure their position in office. We have to raise our voices together.

For all of those who are confused weather this rally is to support conservation or to protest allocation, I think what is most important for me is to remind DFO that "we" exist. Consider this a baby step towards being heard regarding all of our other issues with the mismanagement of our fishery.

Another big thing for Friday is to acknowledge that many people will simply be followers with no real idea of what the rally signifies in particular.

One message is extremely important. I think that if one voice speaks on our behalf it would ensure the media gets it to the general public properly.

The bottom line is that our right to access a public resource is being given away to private companies.

This is not right!

[/quote]Bryan didn't your mother tell you and your son not to do drugs....sound familiar...A*"$#@LE...the only ones twisting this thread is you, the old black dog and the big red snapper....your turning this into a laughing stock for all to read....are you so blind that you can't see the benefit of having more involved from one end of the island to the other....something similar to your theory on the area 14 SFAB, less is better.... there could have easily been hundreds of supporters in Campbell River or points north of Victoria...its as clear as can be that far more could have been involved had the word gone out to guides associations, the grape vine, whatever.....you talk about working together....well here WAS the perfect opportunity for this to happen and all you can do is "snipe away"....you speak out of both sides of your mouth....if you think the rec/guide/lodge sector is divided on this issue maybe you should turn off the computer and stick to watching Oprah and DR Phil

quote:Originally posted by Deewar25

curious angle, but would it be an advantage to give the unknowing public the heads up by placing a banner up on the Helmcken overpass summarizing the basic issue of 88/12 (simple tag such as '88/12 commercial favoritism, not a conservation issue') with a few notes about sport fishing rights and halibut below??? Just enough to get it in their head maybe a day or two before the rally during morning rushhour!?!? Could even have a note about the following rally?
Deewar25

Good idea on the banner, can you look after it?

The getting the word out phase is now on ... public awareness of the rally and our messaging over the airwaves is in high gear. Check your radio (CBC, CFAX 1070 or The Q100.3FM) and you might just hear a hali allocation rant or two

Gov

God never did make a more calm, quiet, innocent recreation than angling - Izaak Walton

FishinBC Well you know that my first impulse was to holler to the mods to have your ignorant post removed--= but after reflecting for a moment, I have decided to let it stand. I will let the board members compare my posts calling for solidarity with your ignorant rants. Good going guy. Your true nature is out for all to see.

(for those that dont know, this guy is a guide and a seasonal salesman at Gonefishin in Courtenay) He should know better.)

Intruder2-2.jpg

20ft Alumaweld Intruder

Cuba Libre

Good job you didn't get that ticker too fired up!

As the story goes ... the Emperor is wearing an invisible suit, let's all compliment him. But in fact when the truth comes out the ol'geezer was just buck naked!

This Fishinbc character's nudity as exposed here by his postings is plain for all to read. Going around dissing everyone because they don't agree with him or do things the way he wants is really unproductive and worse divisive. Have not heard a word about what Mr Mouth and Trousers here has done to protect anglers' rights yet either.

The world is still run by those who show up.

quote:Originally posted by Cuba Libre

FishinBC Well you know that my first impulse was to holler to the mods to have your ignorant post removed--= but after reflecting for a moment, I have decided to let it stand. I will let the board members compare my posts calling for solidarity with your ignorant rants. Good going guy. Your true nature is out for all to see.

(for those that dont know, this guy is a guide and a seasonal salesman at Gonefishin in Courtenay) He should know better.)

Intruder2-2.jpg

20ft Alumaweld Intruder
If this supposed to affect my employment at Gone Fishin' you are sadly mistaken....whats wrong Bryan can't take a little of your own medicine....your own "didn't your mother" ignorant rant a few months back re: area 14 SFAB directed at me was no different....don't remember... going senile I guess....solidarity, WTF do you think having more involved is all about....you just don't get it....

After all Gone Fishin' does for the the Courtenay and District Fish and Game Club (which you are a board member of), 10% discount to members, sells memberships, supports Comox Valley Fly Fishers, Ducks Unlimited, Pacific Salmon Foundation, Courtenay and District Fish and Game Club BC Family fishing derby (rods and reels), and so much more you drag my employer and one of the Comox Valleys most supportive businesses into your rant....you maybe retired and living large on your DFO pension, but with a wife two teenage children to support this goes to show the real lowlife that you really are....

for those of you who don't know,
I work at Gone Fishin Courtenay SAT - WED 10-6

Gil DiCesare
G&M FISHING CHARTERS
www.fishingbc.ca
1-800-577-6966
1838 Hawk Drive
Courtenay
BC
....I shoulda known better.....F*&@"K YOU

quote:Originally posted by highlights

Well thats the thing;

I think what is most important is for the recreational /sports sector to unite once and for all and show DFO that we are not about to roll over for anyone! If you think about it why wouldn't they just do what they please with our resource. We have never before shown our dismay in an organized fashion. At least with no real significant impact anyway. It is much more in their favour to fullfill the demands of the big corporate entities to ensure their position in office. We have to raise our voices together.

For all of those who are confused weather this rally is to support conservation or to protest allocation, I think what is most important for me is to remind DFO that "we" exist. Consider this a baby step towards being heard regarding all of our other issues with the mismanagement of our fishery.

Another big thing for Friday is to acknowledge that many people will simply be followers with no real idea of what the rally signifies in particular.

One message is extremely important. I think that if one voice speaks on our behalf it would ensure the media gets it to the general public properly.

The bottom line is that our right to access a public resource is being given away to private companies.

This is not right!

....OK, so thats out of our system. How about back to the thread:)

[/quote]Posted - 01/21/2009 : 20:28:06
Bryan...In case it slipped your memory here is your ignorant post from Jan 21 2009
Oh My --what we have here is a perfect example of why your mother told you not to do drugs....

You kids fight nice now.

Together we stand, devided we fall, Come on now people lets, get on the ball & work together.
by George:D:D:D

I'm setting my priorities. I'm making time for fishing.

Not sure if its been posted, but this morning on CBC Radio in Victoria the morning guy did a piece on the rally tomorrow. I didn't hear it myself so I can offer any other details.

Unfortunate to see that the SFI are not involved and supportive of the resident recreational fishing sector. Could it be they are content to see the limit go to two a day in June and the season over at the end of August? That would certainly facilitate their business interests, but does little to help resident anglers.

Back