WTB hunting rifle for teen

Ammunition and component availability is very important. As a personal rule if Lapua doesn't make brass for it, it is dead to me. The managed recoil .308 rnds will make things easier on the kids. I used to load really slow 147 fmj .308 rnds for positional shooting practice. Inside 100m cardboard doesn't care but your shoulder will.

As mentioned above... look into reduced recoil ammo. My daughter shot a couple of deer with my 270 w/reduced recoil when she was 12/13 yrs old - 100lbs soaking wet. A good option before you blow a bunch of cash on another hobby that may not stick. She lost interest when she entered the "perfume and gasoline" phase....Good luck!

As mentioned above... look into reduced recoil ammo. My daughter shot a couple of deer with my 270 w/reduced recoil when she was 12/13 yrs old - 100lbs soaking wet. A good option before you blow a bunch of cash on another hobby that may not stick. She lost interest when she entered the "perfume and gasoline" phase....Good luck!
i have a real nice wood stock 270 i would sell, and have brass and lead

TOUGHEN them up I shot my first deer at 10 with a 303 then at 14 got a 30-06
you already have the 308 they should be able to handle it...LOL LOL
Sounds like me!

With my son, his first was a .308.....nice part was they sold reduced loads that he (and others since) got use to the recoil. The rifle came with two stocks so the kids could grow into full size...... That is what I would look for!

@Tips Up So sorry to hear of this so late. My father passed away in December of 2020 and I did inherit his gun collection and would have gifted a .243 to you for our kids. (LOVE to pay it forward) Unfortunately it sold a month or so ago. With my Dad's collection I was willing to pass on or trade for a bottle of wine to simply have them go to a good place and to those who would appreciate.

If you and your kids are interested in muzzleloading I do have a couple left. Likely with lots of supplies.
That’s generous @Pippen. Unfortunate the timing did not line up.
Still looking for a .243 or 7mm:08

Still looking for a .243 or 7mm:06
Thanks
As far as I’m concerned selling guns are a thing of the passed. My first deer gun was a .308 lever (browning) and I took a lot of deer in my teens with it. I still have it and will use it for close range elk when in thick bush. The 6.5 creedmore would be my go to if I were buying my kids a rifle. I have the Christiansen arms and shooting 3/4” at 200, sick gun. Just my two cents.

As far as I’m concerned selling guns are a thing of the passed. My first deer gun was a .308 lever (browning) and I took a lot of deer in my teens with it. I still have it and will use it for close range elk when in thick bush. The 6.5 creedmore would be my go to if I were buying my kids a rifle. I have the Christiansen arms and shooting 3/4” at 200, sick gun. Just my two cents.
I think the 6.5 cmr is a great round for that. In fact a Tikka T3X in 6.5 cmr is the first centrefire I'm going to be getting my 11 year old onto.

I seem to keep all my guns too...

I think the 6.5 cmr is a great round for that. In fact a Tikka T3X in 6.5 cmr is the first centrefire I'm going to be getting my 11 year old onto.

I seem to keep all my guns too...
Isn’t that gun like, 10 lbs ? im fairly certain that’s the exact rifle my bro has. It is the most accurate rifle I have ever shot, but might be heavy for a 11 y/0

I get excited every time there is a reply… but still no rifles for sale. Just free advice ; ) and opinions.
I’d be interested in .243, 7mm:08 or 6.5 CMR. Already have 30:06 and .308.
Thanks

Isn’t that gun like, 10 lbs ? im fairly certain that’s the exact rifle my bro has. It is the most accurate rifle I have ever shot, but might be heavy for a 11 y/0
It's a T3X Superlite, 8lbs 3oz with scope. It's a 1/2 MOA gun. I'll start him out shooting from a rest or a pig saddle... if it's too much we'll keep plinking with the .22... I wish I could get him on my .223 too but the Liberals prohibited it so I can just look at it now...

Back