WTB: 28-30ft Express Cruiser/Fisher

Yep, I can relate to that picture! FYI... that is about what my lower unit looked like the first year I owned it, when I pulled the boat out of the water prior to my WCVI run. The boat had the zinc saver II, plugged in to shore power, and had only been in the water about 4 months. Surprise - surprise! Mercury replaced it under warranty!

Still not sure about that 9.9 and WCVI? I had a Yamaha 9.9 HT and it handled it fine here in the protected waters of Pugest Sound. I am not sure that Mercury Bigfoot 9.9 HT is going to be enough to turn that boat into a good WCVI crosswind?? The boat well weigh well over 8,000 pounds loaded, The boat is high. A LOT of broadside for that wind to catch. Most don't take that into consideration? The 9.9 will move that boat quite well in a stright line! No problems UNTIL, you are in a situation where you need turn into that crosswind! There were several times when I had to start the main to complete those turns!

Had the exact issue with my Striper and a Yamaha T8. Real windy days, and turning was very difficult so we ended up using the big motor. I did find with my last boat that even on the big motor + B3 that I was able to keep slow enough to troll -- a fast troll mind you at between 2.8-3kts, but that didn't seem to impact the fishing too much.

Getting the kicker mounted on the swimstep with a remote installed on the transom along with a Panther electric steering system. I will check to see what stepping the kicker up to a 15hp would run -- looks like it's only $500 or less, so that might be a wise option.

Nice looking machine, but that speed thing is a high priority ;)

One boat I found that looks interesting is a Bayliner 288.

Here are some pics of it: http://www.google.ca/images?hl=en&s...liner+288&gbv=2&aq=f&aqi=g1&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=
[^]

Anyone know much about these boats?

TenMile
<'((((><

All I know is friends don't let friends buy bayliners! Alot of hull issues in a very short amount of time, as they waterlog out and also they push water terribly. Just be careful not to buy someone else's problem! If you get it for a cheap enough price expect to save up for some serious work later on, or to pass it off to someone else.

It's alright, I was advised that being the brunt of Bayliner bashing is one of the joys of owning one. Let's just say he wins the prize for being the first. I'm sure their water-logging, and water pushing capabilities is one of the things that makes them the #1 selling boat in the world.

All I know is friends don't let friends buy bayliners! Alot of hull issues in a very short amount of time, as they waterlog out and also they push water terribly. Just be careful not to buy someone else's problem! If you get it for a cheap enough price expect to save up for some serious work later on, or to pass it off to someone else.

WHATADOUCHE...never owned one, have you?

Nice boat.
Don't let the boat snobs knock your Bayliner. Those guys probably drive Chevy's.

For the kicker - has anyone experience with using twin kickers mounted at either side of the transom?
With that size of hull above the waterline, as Charlie mentions, windage may be a problem when trying to run off the kicker.
Seen pictures of boats with the twin set-up, but I don't have personal knowledge of how well it works.

Just FYI -- but based on Charlie's advice I looked into putting a 15Hp on it rather than a 9.9. Price difference is $250 so I did it. I happen to be dealing with the same service location Charlie uses, so they gave me the "good guy" discount...

My apologies Tenmile, I had only read to the 4th tab and replied to one of your earlier posts when I made my comment. Congrats on the new boat and it does look great!

And to answer a response or two, yes I owned a Trophy about 10 years back and after riding around with some fellow boat snobs I traded it for a Campion, then a Grady... I found my Trophy to be a terrible ride and bobbed around like a top offshore, but that is just me I guess. And actually I was razzed by the Island outfitter boys for purchasing the damn thing. Anyways once again, I meant no disrespect and apologies to Tenmile.

Nice boat.
Don't let the boat snobs knock your Bayliner. Those guys probably drive Chevy's.

Oh, I don't know about that. Though I've never owned one I've always liked the looks of the Bayliners, AND I drive Chevy's!

A Knotty Buoy you truly are!
Quote"And to answer a response or two, yes I owned a Trophy about 10 years back and after riding around with some fellow boat snobs I traded it for a Campion, then a Grady... "
Yesterday 01:37 AM #6
A Knotty Buoy

Go to west marine or some other marine supply shop and order in a steering arm to connect off your main engine to the kicker handle. It costs around $30 dollars is all and works like a dream. I use it on my 16' double eagle so I can stay warm in the front of the boat and relax in comfort while trolling in any conditions. And if you get into real trouble you are at the helm so you can always start up the main engine and power up if you ever need.

Most of these threaded rods and ends that you get come in a basic steel, so I would set it to length, and then get it sandblasted and painted to prevent rust! Some simple rustoleum spray paint will suffice.

looks to me like naughty boy has a 16' double eagle. maybe he has a grady in his dreams lol
cheers ferret

Life has a funny way of kicking you in the butt financially my friend. I am just happy to be out on the water again, even though I can't afford to enjoy the luxuries like I used to. But thanks for taking the time to research. As well I have always owned new till recently, and have been able to have someone else do all the set up of my boats. But I seem to be learning alot through this forum and local marine chandler owners in the area.

And trust me Ferret, it hurts me in ways you cant imagine every time I see a grady now. Its a humbling experience to have to take a step back in life. As stated before though, its just great to be on the water once again either way.

Cheers.

Back