WTB: 28-30ft Express Cruiser/Fisher

Bayliners have earned their nickname.

Zeta's are a well made boat too. I would take a peak at it for sure.

most people that hate Bayliners don't even know why...that's just what they've always been told (I used to fit that description).
They certainly aren't nearly the quality of Grady or Seasport...if you're a guide, Bayliner may not be for you...if you're a weekend warrior they offer a bunch of value for the money.

just my 2 cents...and yes I own a Trophy...and love it!

Wanted to dust off this thread because there were some great recommendations. So looks like my Seaswirl is almost sold -- just accepted a conditional offer so I will be actively hunting for a new ride here shortly. Looking for suggestions. Here are our list of priorities in no particular order:

- boat to be used for a combination of fishing (75%) and family cruising/weekending (25%)
- must be a planing hull with the ability to cruise at 25kts+
- pilothouse style -- preference for a door to keep out the cold -- leaning to galley area topside
- dedicated sleeping area for 2 adults and 2 kids (dont want to have to convert dinettes etc...)
- LOA has to be <32ft and beam has to be no greater than 10ft (restrictions of my slip)
- trailer not needed

Boats that seem to fit so far are as follows:
- Bayliner 288 -- seems to have all my needs, unsure about taking this boat to the West Coast and would appreciate any experienced comments
- Commander 30 -- great boat, but very pricey and harder to get (Canmar has the monopoly and keeps the price high)
- OceanSport 30 -- my dream boat when I have a spare $250K (that knocks this boat off my list sadly)
- SeaSport 28 Pilot - nice but rare and bankrupt

Boats that almost fit but have some compromise:
- Grady Marlin or Express 30' (more fish than family but beautiful)
- Striper 2901 Pilothouse (galley below deck)
- Pursuit 30 -- very similar to above

Any suggestions -- particularly anyone who has direct experience with the Bayliner 288 or 2858 (same boat different engine) -- wanting to get opinions on the performance of the Bayliner in rougher waters (don't want it to be any worse than my Striper).

Get the Ocean Sport u only live once remorg. the farm & your good to go! If u ever have an xtra space LOL i know a great spot off of Dundas IS. to hang,

What no shower!!! how the hell we going to live on that Crave? I guess u could use f/w washdown brrrr.

Get the Ocean Sport u only live once remorg. the farm & your good to go! If u ever have an xtra space LOL i know a great spot off of Dundas IS. to hang,

It would have to be a live-aboard as I'd be homeless (but on the upside, I'd have more time to fish and likely more need as I'd also need to feed myself). Those OceanSport's are by far and away the #1 boat as far as I'm concerned. Saw one in Bamfield last summer -- twin diesels, huge cockpit, swim grid with a SS rail with integrated cleaning table, cockpit steering, chartplotter/fishfinder in the cockpit, HUGE galley, sleeping for 3-4 large fishing dudes.

Liked it so much I took a photo of it...

SeaSport.jpg

Here is a photo of my Striper 2600 beside a Striper 2901 Pilothouse (this one also had twin diesels)

Striper 2901.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I too am looking for a replacement boat- my wants start with "TRAILERABLE" SO 21- 24 FT WOULD FIT THE BILL--NEED ROOM FOR A MARINE HEAD (WIFES REQUEST) would like an alaska bulkhead and would like opinions on I/O power as that seems to be the majority power on this type of boat---help?

MRACER -- I'm a big fan of Stripers -- they've got 2 or 3 boats that meet your needs -- 2101, 2301 or 2601 (or new 2605) -- all come with a bulkhead option. Smaller units come with a porta-potti, the larger ones come with a head. All are trailerable. IMHO they have the best user community at www.seastriper.com -- run by owners for owners with tons of advice and excellent ideas for modifications. Very high quality boat at a very good price. They have both I/O and OB options for engines.

You may want to start another thread for your specific needs.

Boats that my fit

I drive past the dry land sort out side of Sooke there are some nice boats sitting there for sale. I believe a few that would fit what you are looking for look real nice also, sorry I do not know who has them for sale but they are sitting on Park Isl marines lot my help

Well, got myself a new ride -- 2004 Bayliner 288 with 150 hours on it.

Adding fishy accessories to it. Kicker/bracket, Lowrance HDS-10, new Scotty's. Should be ready to bloody the hulls in 2-3 weeks.

Kamilche-20110502-00029.jpg

Nice boat…I used to own one! Well, kind of… mine was a 2858EC. It was actually the first boat I ran the entire WCVI with! J

There are a couple of suggestions!

When getting a kicker, which you will need to troll down, if it has a Bravo III make sure you get a kicker large enough to make a turn in a strong crosswind? My 9.9 HT, would not do that it?

If it doeshave the Bravo III, which I sure it does and you plan to leave it in the salt– WATCH the electrolyses, CLOSELY! I kept mine in the salt and lost a lower unit due to that, until I finally figured out how to prevent it! If not setup right and protected that Bravo III will burn through zincs, like you won’t believe!

Enjoy the boat - nice ride!!!

Hey Charlie,

Yeah, the 2858 and the 288 are basically the same boat -- they changed their naming conventions in around 2003. Some of the 2858s had the long block 7.4L engine where the 288s have the 5.7L. Same HP in both but the 7.4L has more torque. I am replacing the entire outdrive and transom assembly with a Bravo III and I am keenly aware of the corrosion. My last boat had the same 5.7L and B3 combo -- and yes, changing zincs was a 6 month task.

I am literally making my final decision on getting a remanufactured Bravo III (fully warrantied by Mercruiser) vs. a new Bravo III Seacore. The new Seacore system is a ceramic coating they've put inside and outside the drive unit and housing to prevent corrosion. I'm told, Mercruiser solved their corrosion issues with this system. Costs roughly $1K to choose that over the reman unit, plus I get a 4 year warranty on it vs. 3 year. Leaning to the Seacore.

Thanks for the advice on the kicker. I've been spec'd a Mercury Bigfoot 9.9 which is a high thrust.

PS: If anyone is curious what happens to a Bravo III when left unattended -- here's the photo of the drive that's currently on the boat (replacing it plus doing some additional minor mechanical work was reflected in the price I paid). Boat sat for a year in the salt, batteries ran down, zincs fully disappeared. Fortunately the owner pulled it out in time, all thru-hulls, transom etc came out just fine in the survey.

Kamilche-20110502-00012.jpg

Back