World's Best Tasting Fish.....

That would be the flatlanders from east of Sask.!
Pickeral is part of the Pike family.
But fillets off of about a 3lb Wally is hard to beat.
Burbut, land locked Ling, second for fresh water.
A nice marbled winter on the BBQ, and of course Hali's. second for Saltwater.

Chilean seabass poached in white wine does the trick for moi..that and Orange Roughy

Tubber,
I think Walleye didnt make it any higher on your rateings becasue you forgot to eat the cheeks !
What about pan fried freshwater perch eh ! eh !
O ya try the Walleye BBQ with an ice cube, mayo and veggies ....... its fricken wild !
Just my 5 cents (rounded up)

That would be the flatlanders from east of Sask.!
Pickeral is part of the Pike family.

Really , but the tast is like Chum to Sockeye , unless you get a very very small pike just after winter thaw out on a deep cold water lake . Trust me Im a Stuble Jumper from way back !!!

Yup, just saying, there are Walleye, and then there is Pickeral, not even the same family.
There are no Pickeral west of Manitoba.

That's how you can tell they are from out east.
I bought Pikeral fillets from a wholeseller once, not bad, but definatley not Walleye.

Ah come on... no one has mentioned our own Black Rockfish??? breaded, light lemon pepper, quick fryed in butter - like pancakes for breakfast!

Brilliant! Great list and order ta boot!!! Haven't had the swordfish so I'd likely toss Quillback rockfish burger there... but will be trying first opportunity since you fit it in with so much of my other favorite stuff!!!

pyramid of flavour

5th panfried breaded walleye
4th seared ahi
3rd grilled swordfish
2nd barbequed smiley belly
1st hot-smoked still warm steelhead
1st butter fried hali cheeks
2nd sockeye tail end
3rd mahi mahi taco
4th deepfried halibut
5th spicy albacore sushi roll

other dishes I've enjoyed:
boiled chum head
fried greenling
hot oil fried eulachons and smelt
battered cabezon and ling
barbequed marlin

Not worth eating:
arrowtooth and starry flounder
surf perch
carp
chub
tilapia
farmed atlantic spamon

Peahead red spring ....ahh words cannot describe, it explodes with sweetness!

For local bottom fish I'd have to say Rougheye and Yelloweye Rockfish ( Rougheye used to be quite p0pular in restautrants and named "Orange Roughy" on menu's) Lingcod and hali close second/third .

Non-local , Mahi Mahi and ahi tuna

Wahoo and Grouper are right at the top, followed closely by Yellowfin Sashimi then Salmon done any method...

I would have to say right at the top in 1 st place ..all these take the spot.
Fresh sockeye on cedar plank
Albacore tuna
yelloweye
black cod

Above all is for purple hinge rock scallops... I guess a shellfish is afish..LOL

1.Take a fresh Ahi steak, about 1 1/2" thick sear both sides on high heat in sesame oil for 10 seconds, serve with some wasabi sauce.
2. Ahi Poke, any flavor
3. Winter Spring or Dorado (tied)
4. Pickeral cheeks (not frozen) fried in butter or,baked in philo pastry with a creamy sauce
5. Ling cod - anyway u want
Stosh

Last edited by a moderator:
I had people losing their minds on the ski course for the Canadian Championships last week.

I had an Albacore Loin (thanks to Shawn and Sean) which I marinated for about 2 days longer than I anticipated but it was the following.

• soya sauce
  • touch of sesame oil
  • tough of oyster sauce
  • peppercorns
  • olive oil
  • lots of chopped chives
  • chopped garlic

After a bit too long in the marinade on the side of the mountain I seared it and people lost their minds as to how good it was. I was worried my leg was going to be dry humped!!

As for straight up best fish..............black rock fish.....hands down. Cooked simple FRESH out of the water, it is awesome OR it becomes ceviche which damnfish has experienced. When fishing in Kyuquot and I am running in from offshore I have stopped at a few special kelp beds to cast for them; grab 2 of them and then happy hour appies are taken care of!!!! It's funny when my gal is with us or me as she loves to fish.....when she's reeling in a fish she could care less for a tyee; if I tell her she has a black rockie she shouts in glee, "CEVICHE!!!!! Happy Hour!!!!!"

Best eating fish fresh out of the water IMHO.

Ok I'm gonna need your ceviche recipe Scotty.

I haven't found many fish on this coast I don't like, but that has thus far been the one.

Granted, I have not tried ceviche with it.

Educate me so I can appreciate this abundant critter!

I had people losing their minds on the ski course for the Canadian Championships last week.

I had an Albacore Loin (thanks to Shawn and Sean) which I marinated for about 2 days longer than I anticipated but it was the following.

• soya sauce
  • touch of sesame oil
  • tough of oyster sauce
  • peppercorns
  • olive oil
  • lots of chopped chives
  • chopped garlic

After a bit too long in the marinade on the side of the mountain I seared it and people lost their minds as to how good it was. I was worried my leg was going to be dry humped!!

As for straight up best fish..............black rock fish.....hands down. Cooked simple FRESH out of the water, it is awesome OR it becomes ceviche which damnfish has experienced. When fishing in Kyuquot and I am running in from offshore I have stopped at a few special kelp beds to cast for them; grab 2 of them and then happy hour appies are taken care of!!!! It's funny when my gal is with us or me as she loves to fish.....when she's reeling in a fish she could care less for a tyee; if I tell her she has a black rockie she shouts in glee, "CEVICHE!!!!! Happy Hour!!!!!"

Best eating fish fresh out of the water IMHO.

Ok I'm gonna need your ceviche recipe Scotty.

I haven't found many fish on this coast I don't like, but that has thus far been the one.

Granted, I have not tried ceviche with it.

Educate me so I can appreciate this abundant critter!

From a post I threw up on BCFR; it's pretty simple but that is ceviche. ;)

Ceviche Recipe
Hey Guys,

Thought I would share this recipe.....we always use black rockfish for this recipe and it is best if they are fresh. I am sure it would work fine with any other rockies and even halibut would likely be good. (we just had halibut ceviche at a restaurant we were at on Saturday night and it was great) This is one of our happy hour preparations after a day out on the water. It's funny when we get a black rocky as my GF gets all excited and says....."Awesome!! Ceviche!!!"

There are no exact amounts of each ingredient as we vary it based on how much we are making. You'll be able to get a good idea as to how much in the way of veggies when you look at how much diced fish you have....generally about equal parts. The key is to ensure you have enough tequila and lime juice for the fish so that it does "cook". To give you an idea though as to ratios...this amount of tequila and lime is for one fish as we just made a week ago last Saturday in Tofino.

Diced Black Rockfish (halibut, yelloweye or other rockfish)
Diced red and yellow bell pepper
*option to also use diced tomato but just use the "meat" of the tomato leaving the seeds/liquid out.
1 jalepeno pepper – finely diced and seeded
Diced red onion
Lime juice (equal part to tequila but you may want to use a bit more. It's roughly the juice of about 2-3 limes)
1 oz tequila
TBSP good quality olive oil
Combine the above ingredients and let sit for about an hour (or more) – you can tell that the meat is “cooking” as it becomes more opaque
Just before serving season to taste salt and pepper and add coarsely chopped cilantro. (if you add the salt too early it will dry out the fish). Also if you don't like cilantro you can substitute italian parsley.

Serve it with tortilla chips, crackers or even crostinis which you can make up by just slicing up a baguette, brushing the pieces with olive oil a touch of salt and pepper toasting in the oven.

Fresh sockeye , cooked or sashimi yumm , yellowfin tuna compares right up there for me and I love cod ! Still haven't tried freshwater cod but this will be the year

Back