Wiring Scotty down riggers

pescador

Need to wire up my Scotties on my new to me boat. On my last boat, I had them direct wired to battery # 1 using scotties 30 amp fuse for each with 10 gauge wire, (which I think is what Scotty recommends). Given the power draw, I recall someone suggesting they should be direct wired to the battery. Just curious how others have wired theirs up? Does anyone run them up to their helm using a fuse/box/switch? Or is direct to battery the norm?

Run a separate fuse box from your battery. I use a re-settable style. They are not cheap, but you can quickly reset without having to replace burned out fuses. Go with heavier gauge than Scotty suggests as it reduces resistance - have a look at biggest wire you can get to work. Don't direct wire to battery - better to wire up to a block, then carry over to in line resettable fuse, then to your riggers. Risk of fire otherwise if you have a short. Hope that helps.

I just wired my boat for scotty electrics. I went with a Blusea Systems 6 circuit fuse block. I ran a 6 gauge wire from the common post of the selector switch for the power supply and then ran a 6 gauge wire back to the engine block for a ground. I bought 10 gauge wire (2 wires wrapped in the same insulation black/red) that I ran to the new fuse block all with neatly crimped and heat shrink connections. The fuse block has 6 circuits each capable to hold a 30 amp ATO/ATC type fuse. That is a push in type blade fuse. Check out Blusea's website. I wanted to have a neat and tidy way to do this without having a stack of wires coming off the battery terminals. I got this idea off researching other ideas from this site

Attachments

• DSC00707.jpg
    DSC00707.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 398
Thanks gents, I've got a Grady 228 so I'll have to figure out where to put the fuse block. Searun, you ran yours direct from the battery I see, not off the common selector switch. I wonder which way is better? Off the common would allow me to equally use both batteries right? I've made the mistake before on not switching batteries over a couple of days which runs the risk of too high a draw on one battery if you come of just one I assume.

think out side the box are you into prawning or going to, and if yes, and are using an ace line puller they recommend 10 gauge with a 40 amp fuse

The only item on your boat that should go direct to the battery is your auto bilge pump. Everything else should go through the master switch. I used single water tight blade type fuse holders and fuses in an easy to get at dry location in the cockpit of the boat. The blade type fuses react instantly to an overload or a short, the reset type do not. They take a bit of time to pop and open the circuit. Not as critical with the riggers as they have an internal fuse built in...but very critical for sounders, radios etc.

The only item on your boat that should go direct to the battery is your auto bilge pump. Everything else should go through the master switch

X2 on what profisher said........Number 10 is plenty from your fuse block or in-line fuse after the switch......especially on such a short run.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rollie,

I was not aware that riggers (Scottys?) had internal fuses outside of the inline fuse that most of us use and installed as per instructions. Where are they located? Seems silly to ask, but they have to be accessable to replace, correct?

Circuit Breaker
Your Scotty electric downrigger is equipped with an automatic circuit
breaker to protect the motor from overload. If you hang up on the bottom or
on a heavy mass of weeds and then push the power up button, the circuit
breaker will probably trip. Wait 5 to 10 seconds for it to automatically reset
and you will have power again. However, do not repeatedly attempt to lift
a load too heavy for the downrigger motor. If possible the downrigger line
must first be freed from the obstruction.
Note: It is also possible to trip the circuit breaker by raising a weight
over 20 lb. from extreme depth. The circuit breaker is designed to trip
at 15 amps. If this happens allow the circuit breaker to cool several
seconds before resuming lifting.

Bought the same set up as Daddystoy. Think I've got it figured out now after talking to the guys at Steveston Marine. They recommended at 15 amp fuse but Scotty seems to be clear on using a 30 amp. Thanks for input guys....

I have my downriggers on 40 amp circuit breakers. My Fusion King puller is rated for 40 amps so that is what I put in

If you use a 15amp fuse you will pop them every time you put a little extra load on them...ie lifting bull kelp. I would stick with what Scotty recommends so your not blowing them to often. I keep about a dozen blade fuses on the boat to get me through an entire year without worrying about running out. I may use 4 or 5 a season on average.

This is from my Scotty Depthpower manual.
It calls for at least a 14 guage wire with a 20 amp fuse. Yes, there is also a 15 amp circut breaker, that will automatically reset itself after 3 to 5 seconds.

Attachments

• Scotty Electrical Connections.jpg
    Scotty Electrical Connections.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 107
Alk that's for the older models not the new ones.
They changed over a couple of years ago when they switched to the new motors.

The circuit breaker is there to protect the motor. The fuse is there to protect the wire in case of a short circuit. I run a 30 amp auto resetting circuit breaker on each side instead of a fuse. This allows for protecting the motor on the ace line hauler.

Back