Winter Spring Fishing with PLUGS!

Andrew P

Hey Guys,

The ol sooke thread was getting derailed from report to more detailed(and GOOD) tackle discussion. I figured it deserved a thread focused on targeting winters with Plugs, which is different than summer hunting of course.

Apparently this is very common in Puget Sound.

I'll post later with some pics of my favorite that have worked for winter's.

Ap

Andrew, perhaps you maybe guilty of trying to reinvent the wheel. Those in the know have been using plugs for decades to catch Spring salmon, summer/winter, as well as other types of game fish. Various plug techniques have probably been discussed on this forum and many others, but hey I applaud your enthusiasm and yes I'm sure even old dogs and new fisherpersons could learn...:)

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the general consensus seems to be that plugs only work offshore or on staging Chinook.

I have some of those small Tomics like the one shown in the Sooke thread and have thought a few times about tying one on... But never have.

I wonder who else is using them?

Never had much luck with plugs on ECVI, Funny because as a young buck fishing with my dad in Campbell River we used them with success, but fish would bite anything back then :p

Fishing plugs is a lot different then spinning flashers. You have to kick up your speed which is a good thing as you cover much more ground in a hurry. I would suggest a Tomic 5" 500 as a good start.;) eman

We fished plugs 40 years ago with great success off Bates beach ECVI and Kitty. Last season Pirates Den, Salty-dog and I put LEDs in tomic plugs with excellent results-see no reason why they wouldn't work on winters

We fished plugs 40 years ago with great success off Bates beach ECVI and Kitty. Last season Pirates Den, Salty-dog and I put LEDs in tomic plugs with excellent results-see no reason why they wouldn't work on winters

Anything will work when put in front of a winter chinook. betcha the correct spoon will out fish any plug for winters if put in front of the fish.

Um...yep winters eat everything, after all, thy call them feeders...:)

Andrew, perhaps you maybe guilty of trying to reinvent the wheel. Those in the know have been using plugs for decades to catch Spring salmon, summer/winter, as well as other types of game fish. Various plug techniques have probably been discussed on this forum and many others, but hey I applaud your enthusiasm and yes I'm sure even old dogs and new fisherpersons could learn...:)

I know, I know sammy ;)....there's been lot's of discussion in the past. But I couldn't find one for winter springs in particular....which is obviously a different game from the summer chinook. Anyhow, it's nice to hear how many people are using them besides WCVI.

I have tried them a few times for winters in the last couple years and not only did they work, but it sure is nice not having a flasher in between.
I've only tried glow plugs....but I reckon that would be a pretty big help when looking for them deep on the low light winter days.

Has anyone every come across a good needlefish type plug and had good success?? I lathed one up our of wood and excited to give it a whirl.

Andrew, talk to Robert at Pacific Net and Twine in Parksville. He is a very good salmon fisherman that slays fish on plugs on the ECVI. He even has models of Tomics named after him. You will see RVP at the beginning of the number. These are plugs that he came up with.

Unfortunately he is no longer a member on here.

That has some serious potential, nice work. I guess the trick is getting the nose just right, but if you're willing to make a edits you're gonna have a winner. Most fish I catch in the winter are full of needlefish.
That has some serious potential, nice work. I guess the trick is getting the nose just right, but if you're willing to make a edits you're gonna have a winner. Most fish I catch in the winter are full of needlefish.

I'm certainly not apposed to a nose job if needed. I fashioned this shovel(pic below) for the nose from a copper spinner blade. Not sure if it needs it or not, but most needlefish plugs that I've seen online usually have some sort of fin/blade on the front...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1385705201.522216.jpg

Sculpin, it's about 5 3/4". 1/0 hook. I was thinking of running a second hook up front. Open to ideas on rigging.

Also, there are 2 holes in the front so it could have the line come out the front or out the top(like how you would do the elastic truck to have the line coming off top with a bigger plug for slower speeds) to play with the action....because I don't really know what to expect.

Pretty sure it wont work...........if you send it to me I will dispose of it for you :p:D

Seriously needle fish imitations usually slay them, and that looks pretty good.
As mentioned you may need to tune the front for the desired action but I would try re-threading the line first.
Just a guess but with the hook attachment point farther back it will dampen the action. If you can have the hook attachment point farther forward (albeit it will need to be spaced back with beads or stops) it might free up the wiggle a little???? Like I said just a guess.
Gotta get it wet and try.
I really like the Pogue Plugs Candlefish that is very similar to the one you made but smaller @ 4", locally its a killer
Heres their link http://www.pogueplugs.com/candlefish.html
You can see how the hook attachment point on these is right at the front and they have one hell of a sexy wiggle.

Not a lot of experience fishing plugs myself. But when I did we were trolling fsst and deep. ..so issues with blowback from friction on downrigger line. Needed either bigger weight or thinner diameter line (another reason I switched to braid).

Anyway. ...good idea....will try out a plug next winter trip :)

Back