Winter Spring Fishing with PLUGS!

Pretty sure it wont work...........if you send it to me I will dispose of it for you :p:D

Seriously needle fish imitations usually slay them, and that looks pretty good.
As mentioned you may need to tune the front for the desired action but I would try re-threading the line first.
Just a guess but with the hook attachment point farther back it will dampen the action. If you can have the hook attachment point farther forward (albeit it will need to be spaced back with beads or stops) it might free up the wiggle a little???? Like I said just a guess.
Gotta get it wet and try.
I really like the Pogue Plugs Candlefish that is very similar to the one you made but smaller @ 4", locally its a killer
Heres their link http://www.pogueplugs.com/candlefish.html
You can see how the hook attachment point on these is right at the front and they have one hell of a sexy wiggle.

Thanks Sr SQ, I was thinking the same thing about freeing up the wiggle with the hook coming more off the front. That's part of the reason that I put more holes through than are necessary.

Those Pogue Plugs look pretty darn good for sure.

Thanks!

out here in Barkley ,
baits change from year to year , anyone that has fished with me during the winter season has learned ,
theres always a hot go to ,Needlefish mostly the past 2 years , greens and blues are key,,, uv's ,,, most importantly , it should GLOW ,
2 seasons ago , anchovies were all these feeders were interested in , atleast in consistent numbers ,
, small presentations , get ur balls dirty , and go FAST : )... get a good whip goin , SHORT leaders on gear.
LONG leaders on bait , or no flasher at all above a dummy...

, gettin the lines down next week , should be startin ta show themselves in decent numbers anytime now...

my experience in nutshell ,make that plug GLOWWWW : )

m2b

gd lk

fd

Last edited by a moderator:
Andrew, good work on the plug.
JMO, "Little Jimmy" next best substitute to a real needle fish, tried & true - Connie killer...;)

Andrew, good work on the plug.
JMO, "Little Jimmy" next best substitute to a real needle fish, tried & true - Connie killer...;)

amen, nothing is more consitent when they are keyed in on needlefish - but it's nice to get away from a flasher on the small guys.

out here in Barkley ,
baits change from year to year , anyone that has fished with me during the winter season has learned ,
theres always a hot go to ,Needlefish mostly the past 2 years , greens and blues are key,,, uv's ,,, most importantly , it should GLOW ,
2 seasons ago , anchovies were all these feeders were interested in , atleast in consistent numbers ,
, small presentations , get ur balls dirty , and go FAST : )... get a good whip goin , SHORT leaders on gear.
LONG leaders on bait , or no flasher at all above a dummy...

, gettin the lines down next week , should be startin ta show themselves in decent numbers anytime now...

my experience in nutshell ,make that plug GLOWWWW : )

m2b

gd lk

fd

Hey, question for ya, Im heading up to Ucluelet next week. Do you have to go offshore for the feeders? What area do you usually fish in during the winter. Not asking for your secret spots, just a rough area like around crow, sail, stoppers, red can etc. So when you say go fast, are you talking coho fast like 3 + knots. I am not that experienced in winter fishing but would have thought they are not as active so fishing slower speeds would be better. Again, not that experienced with feeders. Please help. I have friends coming up and was hoping to go out hali fishing to south bank and if I can get some feeders in the boat, I would be the king. LOL

After the picture I posted which initiated this thread the 3" Tomic # 800 is continuing to out produce for winters. I have a hand painted 5" tomic which is my absolute go-to when plug fishing that I have been fishing on the other side and the little Tomic is way in the lead.

One note is that I have been fishing all my plugs with pins pulled and with a 2/0 octopus with a couple of beads. THis hook is much less likely to eye hook the little guys than the factory hook on the tomics and facilitates successful releases of the smaller winter springs that are not for the table.

I have also downsized all my spoons, hoochies and anchovies to similar tiny hooks in the last two years... particularly with all the wild Coho around Sooke in the summer. I figure better action... and with a 2/0 gammie.. no loss of holding power. And released fish are rarely eye hooked which is so common with J hooks.

Back