Winter fishing yes/no

Angling pressure on salmon varies from area to area and the main angler effort has always been and will always be primarily heavier during the spring, summer and early fall months. This said we have gone from around 200,000 tidal water licences sold to over 300,000 in just a few short years. Is winter angling effort up during the winter months?! I'd say that it is negligible on an overall average. It most certainly is possible that some areas of this huge coast maybe seeing some increased fishing traffic, but it is not the case coast wide.

Do you know the number of annual vs short term licenses?

Might be an increase in “salmon tourism”.

Or maybe everyone went out and bought a boat with their BC real estate winnings....

Is winter angling effort up during the winter months?! I'd say that it is negligible on an overall average.

I agree with this and think it will probably allways be the case unless we start seeing more summer time only restrictions.

In lots of areas of the coast you can still go out in the summer bonk your two daily and bring home 4 with no max size restrictions.

Thanks, that was interesting!
Please follow up as to what lack of prey for salmon and increase of predators and disease has to do with winter fishing?
The point I took was that the numbers of the main source of southern BC winter chinooks aren’t doing so great.

I’ve provided my 2 cents worth on this topic and won’t be commenting anymore. Flame away

Not quite, some areas,for instance North of Cadboro pt. already have a 62 cm minimum. I’m told,although I can find no evidence that this was based on Science? Interesting to see though whether or not this is true or if DFO would decrease a minimum size.
Follow the money from Oak Bay and Pedder Bay marinas owned by Bob Wright when the limits were implemented and I think you might have an idea why the minimum size limits get larger as you get further away from those marinas :)

If you ever do find the science please let us know.

From what I’ve found from experience, especially this year, the winter Chinook numbers are huge. Just not the size of them.

I would suggest that it is extremely unwise for actual sport fishers to be attacking the sports regulations in any area as being somehow too liberal and that doing so harms the interests of all salt water sport fishers everywhere in the province. Trust me there are more than enough of those outside the sport fishing community working to reduce and eliminate sport fishing because they gain financially from doing so including the ENGO’s. How helpful for them to be able to say that even sport fishers want more reduction and point to public comments on forums such as this as proof.

This nonsense over the minor variance in minimal Chinook size limits by area is a great example of us shooting ourselves in the foot. Is it uninformed petty jealously that somehow it is unfair or inappropriate that in one area you can keep a 4 lber where as in another area it must be a 5 lber, because it sure as hell is not a conservation issue when the facts are examined closely.

There are a great many valid reasons why regulations vary by area and clearly DFO agrees with them or the regulations would be the same everywhere. If that is what you want, be careful what you wish for, because you sure as hell may get it.

We really need to consider the totality of all regulations in a given area and the reasons why these differences exist. Sure you can keep a very slightly smaller Chinook off Victoria in the winter compared to some other areas; big deal!
Last spring we caught a nice Chinook off Oak Bay that was a little under 20 lbs which we release beside the boat (early extreme slot restriction). Sure, if we had caught it a kilometer farther north we could have kept it in that area which has the slightly larger minimum size limit but no slot. I doubt the fishers in that area would want to trade off the very slight minimum size difference between our area and theirs for the massive negative impact of adopting the very low upper size limit required by our early extreme slot restriction. Like I said, be careful what you wish and argue for, you may just get it.

Last edited:
I would suggest that it is extremely unwise for actual sport fishers to be attacking the sports regulations in any area as being somehow too liberal and that doing so harms the interests of all salt water sport fishers everywhere in the province. Trust me there are more than enough of those outside the sport fishing community working to reduce and eliminate sport fishing because they gain financially from doing so including the ENGO’s. How helpful for them to be able to say that even sport fishers want more reduction and point to public comments on forums such as this as proof.

This nonsense over the minor variance in minimal Chinook size limits by area is a great example of us shooting ourselves in the foot. Is it uninformed petty jealously that somehow it is unfair or inappropriate that in one area you can keep a 4 lber where as in another area it must be a 5 lber, because it sure as hell is not a conservation issue when the facts are examined closely.

There are a great many valid reasons why regulations vary by area and clearly DFO agrees with them or the regulations would be the same everywhere. If that is what you want, be careful what you wish for, because you sure as hell may get it.

We really need to consider the totality of all regulations in a given area and the reasons why these differences exist. Sure you can keep a very slightly smaller Chinook off Victoria in the winter compared to some other areas; big deal!
Last spring we caught a nice Chinook off Oak Bay that was a little under 20 lbs which we release beside the boat (early extreme slot restriction). Sure, if we had caught it a kilometer farther north we could have kept it in that area which has the slightly larger minimum size limit but no slot. I doubt the fishers in that area would want to trade off the very slight minimum size difference between our area and theirs for the massive negative impact of adopting the very low upper size limit required by our early extreme slot restriction. Like I said, be careful what you wish and argue for, you may just get it.
You highlight one of the major issues within the Sportfishing family, total lack of transparency and poor communication by DFO! It should not be onerous to get an answer nor considered negative to have the audacity to question as to why rules differ from area to area. In fact I would say if you don’t you deserve what you get! If DFO has a reason to implement different rules from area to area, they should be quite happy to not only publish a rule,but be quite willing to defend it and provide background on how it came into being. It should never be a mystery why there is a variance, this simply leads to speculation . If there is a valid reason for a specific rule that impacts the public, it should be made public! If it’s a good rule, logical , defendable through facts and common sense it will be accepted! If you just accept and never question governments decisions, you may not get what you asked for, but you’ll get what you deserve.

I agree with you and not to worry no one is pushing for any change in that area. It is already over regulated as it is, and there is no concerns.

I agree with you and not to worry no one is pushing for any change in that area. It is already over regulated as it is, and there is no concerns.
Which area is already over regulated and there is no concern about? Just curious.

Which area is already over regulated and there is no concern about? Just curious.

Why? What difference does it make just curious?

Do you fish in area 19 and 20 where Rockfish fishes? If you did you most likely wouldn't have made your comments above.

My opinion.

Last edited:
Why? What difference does it make just curious?

Do you fish in area 19 and 20 where Rockfish fishes? If you did you most likely wouldn't have made your comments above.

My opinion.
Wow, no need to get so prickly! If you make a cryptic statement on an public forum, you should expect to be asked for clarification! If you don’t want to backup your post , try using a PM. Clearly I didn’t know where Rockfish fishes or I wouldn’t have asked the question now would I?

Wow, no need to get so prickly! If you make a cryptic statement on an public forum, you should expect to be asked for clarification! If you don’t want to backup your post , try using a PM. Clearly I didn’t know where Rockfish fishes or I wouldn’t have asked the question now would I?

Ok buddy. Again why do you keep poking? Do you want our winter fishery closed? I guess you arent paying attention yet. Carry on.

Last edited:
I’ve deleted my response to the last post! Someone needs to be the adult, sorry Admin.

Again, some proud fishermen with their catch of Springs off the Victoria area.
Some will say a fish is a fish, but is this the best way to manage this precious resource?
I have said it before, these small winter feeder springs travel in large schools and when you are on them fishermen can limit out in short order.
This is a nursery area for springs from in December, January and February. Lets use common sense and lay off them!!!
winter fishing Feb. 12, 2019 (2).jpg

Last edited:
Fogged in, I don't agree with you very often, but I do with this post. If you were a deer hunter, would you target fawns?

That photo look familiar? This was taken from a photo from Justin at Tailspin charters a few days ago. I don't see what the issue is.

We aren't going to be pushing to remove the winter fishing opportunities in Victoria/Sooke. There is no data to justify it, and the impact I would say is minimal.

It seems yet again were stuck in the same scenario to make ourselves feel better by tossing other fisheries under the bus. Is that what you want fogged in? A complete shutdown of Chinook fisheries all year round in area 19/20?

Last edited:
Here’s the thing – little chinooks, even hatchery fish, given the opportunity, grow into big chinooks, and big chinooks are Orca food.

Imo, anglers are losing the public relations battle on social media and need to be more proactive. Whales are the big ticket and some much needed positive publicity would be achieved if anglers announced they would voluntarily stop this fishery.

That photo look familiar? This was taken from a photo from Tailspin charters a few days ago. I don't see what the issue is.
We aren't going to be pushing to remove the winter fishing opportunities in Victoria/Sooke. There is no data to justify it, and the impact I would say is minimal.
It seems yet again were stuck in the same scenario to make ourselves feel better by tossing other fisheries under the bus. Is that what you want fogged in? A complete shutdown of Chinook fisheries all year round?

Yes, it's from a recent trip by a charter.
We have a dozen or so charter guys available to fish out of Victoria and some of them are fishing and limiting out regularly on small, immature springs.
Add that to the sporties (remember the guy in Dec. who said he took 18 last week and another who said never seen so many boats) and the numbers become significant.
Again I ask...is this a good use of this precious resource?
As you say "I don't see what the issue is." I can only assume you feel this is a good way to manage the resourse.
We all have our opinions, I just don't agree with you!

Back