Wing or Nut

The mast on our cruiser has a tabernacle with a wing nut to hold it in position.
Sucker fell down with a thud while I was onboard the other day, had a look and thought of this thread!
Nylock replacement on the short list!

If you want a good connection at the battery use star washers and a nut. Do not use wing nuts-don't ask me how i know.

Always used to use the wing nuts. About 20 years ago, one day after the boat was launched I started the motor and all of a sudden there was this loud chirping, after looking around and not being able to figure out the source, I decided not to go fishing and pulled the boat out of the water. The next day I trailered it to Nanaimo. After telling the Mechanic about the chirping, he looked at my battery connections and chuckled. He installed star washers and nuts and told me that wing nuts are a NO NO, because most people only hand tighten them. Since then never had an issue.

Find an old 9/16" & 1/2" combo wrench and tuck it into one of the battery boxes so you always have it handy. I wrapped mine with red electrical tape to make it easy to spot. And don't forget stainless lock washers to go with those nuts.

Last item of marine electrical etiquette: the maximum number of connections on any terminal is two. This is particularly true for battery terminals. Should be just the main fuses heavy gauge leads to battery switch and beyond, plus direct power to auto bilge pump. Nothing else.

Back