Wing or Nut

sir-vivor

Just read it's better to use Lock Nuts than Wing Nuts on your battery posts, What u guys think. I'm using wing right now

If you want a good connection at the battery use star washers and a nut. Do not use wing nuts-don't ask me how i know.

Wow, been using wing nuts for over 30 years , guess I've been lucky , so what kind of lock nuts , Stainless ??? Going to change over so what's best (with or without nylon inserts)

Last edited:
Hey , this is a site to share info, if MY THREAD is a bother to you then stay off it. (PS had FA to do with knowing what a star washer was, was just wondering about AIKs experience with a wing nut was )

Last edited:
Hey , this is a site to share info, if MY THREAD is a bother to you then stay off it. (PS had FA to do with knowing what a star washer was, was just wondering about your experience with a wing nut was )
Not trying to be a troll man, it’s just that was a pretty basic question.
We all try to help where we can and come here looking for advice (which you got plenty of) and the forum is a great resource. There are some things though that maybe don’t need to be asked with google at your fingertips.

We all try to help where we can and come here looking for advice (which you got plenty of) and the forum is a great resource. There are some things though that maybe don’t need to be asked with google at your fingertips.
No use taking this any further , u see and hear what you want , be safe and stay off my threads please

Nothing wrong with asking any question. Google often provides superficial and wrong information. Questions, even those seemingly simple, often reveal more complex underlying issues, outcomes and unique experiences, yielding us shared learning opportunities. Did you know ECM's can be permanently damaged through loose battery connections? I found out the very expensive way. So instead of being dismissive, perhaps consider what the question provokes that you did not expect to learn or at least be tolerant and consider what others might learn.

ECMs and alternators are both sensitive to voltage spikes, loose connections or turning off battery switches with a running motor cause huge voltage surges. >80volts.

Last edited:
Thanks for a small but good tip once again, I love SFBC forum. I have been using wingnuts
for ever, but last year while waiting for a bite I checked the battery wingnut and burnt my fingers
from the nut been slightly loose. I just tightened it and never gave it another thought. I will be replacing
them now.

Back