Windlass questions..

smp747

Crew Member
I made an impulse buy without any research on a Lewmar Profish 1000 windlass. After purchasing I came to realize the gypsy is oversized for my boat (skagit orca 24xlc). The gypsy requires 5/16" g4 chain and 9/16"-5/8th 3 strand rode.

I'm looking to purchase a chain and rode for it but I'm wondering If prior it is worth downsizing my gypsy to accomadate 1/4" chain and 1/2"rode for capacity reasons? Or am I overthinking this?

Also I'm aware of at least a boat length of chain but I'm curious what the amount of rode is appropriate for my boat? Ive read a bit and it seems like 200' plus is required, with varying scope ratios, I just have no idea what the capacity of my anchor locker.
I intend to get a Rocna anchor for it and will get a separate anchoring system for halibut.

Thanks for the help.

1.5-2x boat length for chain on a sport boat is pretty good depending on where that leave you for length 200-250 of overall is plenty you can get away with less. In deeper steeper anchorages carry a stern line and you’re all set. Can also get the 3 strand yellow poly from wesco for a stern line 300’ should do you in almost any situation. If you have a big anchor locker no need to downsize

Wesco industries in Burnaby and Langley for chain and rope best pricing. They can do the splice upon request.

Last edited:
I agree with Brando. It's sound advice.

If you read what Rocna publishes about chain, they say it's most valuable as a chafe guard so 20-30 feet is very functional. 3:1 total rode length to depth is a pretty standard and conservative ratio for most recreational power boats. If you're in calm conditions, you can get away with less scope safely.

From my perspective the answer to your question should be based on how deep you want the windlass to be set up to anchor in and at what scope ratio. If you want it to use in fairly protected conditions and don't plan to need it for high winds (storms), you could probably get away with 2:1 or 3:1 scope. If you want to anchor in unprotected anchorages and want to be set up for riding out a storm then I would want to have 5:1 or more which may necessitate the change to thinner rope etc depending on space constraints.

If your locker will accommodate the minimum that meets your needs, personally, I would buy as much rope as will fit and keep the chain to no more than 30'. I have never regretted having a longer anchor line. I carry 600' in a 20' boat.

I have 200’ of 1/4” chain and a 150’ of rope with a 15kg Rocna.
The boat is 30 feet and 15,000 pounds. Have never anchored in a spot where I have had to get into the rope.
Most times I am 3:1 rode and around 100 feet of chain.
I always make sure to back down on the anchor but the Rocna’s almost set immediately.

I do stern tie when I can.

If you get a 10kg Rocna, 50 feet of chain and 200 feet of rope you should be great.
Besides chafe protection the chain helps keep the angle of pull low to the anchor.

Appreciate everyone's inputs!!!

It's been a crazy year and I need to get this thing in the water!
Lots of great advice here.

Safe anchoring is more dependent on choosing a sheltered spot and good bottom conditions than on the ground tackle. Choose mud, gravelly or sandy bottoms. Rocky bottoms and heavy eel grass bottoms should be avoided. Nylon rode is great - it's a natural shock absorber. 8 plait will splice to chain very nicely. Heavier chain acts like a kellet, improving holding power. Scope is the ratio of rode out to the depth from deck to the bottom. It should never be less than 3:1 in good conditions. Avoid anchoring in surge, steep chop and in winds over 25 kph. Allow for swinging room or stern tie. If the wind is likely to carry you away from the beach toward deeper water, then 7:1 scope is required. Heavy cleats, well-attached, and chafe protection are critical considerations. Don't use your windlass in place of a cleat or bollard.

If you are running lots of chain, make up a rope snubber, eye slice in one end and chain hook on the other.
Otherwise it is a noisy night as the chain creaks and groans over the roller.
You can also lead it over a side cleat if conditions warrant.

For those of us without a windlass or an anchor locker, what are folks using to store/coil their rode and chain with the minimum of tangles? Just a big bucket, rubbermaid bin or the like?

For those of us without a windlass or an anchor locker, what are folks using to store/coil their rode and chain with the minimum of tangles? Just a big bucket, rubbermaid bin or the like?
Your want something that drains. Punch some holes in the bottom of a bucket.
Really it's all about how you retrieve. Big messy coils need a wider target than a nice one arm length coil.

Rolltop waxed canvas with a couple brass grommets in the bottom for drainage. It's held up well, 10 years old now. Holds 600' of 3/8' braid. Takes a bit more care to pack the rope into it, but it's zero tangles when taking rope out. The roll top keeps the rope tightly stowed so it doesn't shift around and get tangled no matter how much you throw it around.

Attachments

• IMG_20150617_181125356 (2).jpg
    IMG_20150617_181125356 (2).jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 15
If you have an anchor locker, put a mini traffic cone right below the hawse pipe. The rode will flake off to the sides instead of building up in a pile below.

If you have an anchor locker, put a mini traffic cone right below the hawse pipe. The rode will flake off to the sides instead of building up in a pile below.
This is so much better than my wife knocking it down manually. Genius.

Heavy duty tote with holes drilled in it.

The one addition I would make to the excellent information above: either purchase (or fabricate your own) a high quality snubber

A few years ago, I bought myself a birthday present—- a Mantus snubber made out of dyneema….its one of the best pieces of kit I’ve ever brought on my boat…. As mentioned above don’t ever use your windlass as a cleat

image0.jpeg

Attachments

• image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    20.5 KB · Views: 8
The one addition I would make to the excellent information above: either purchase (or fabricate your own) a high quality snubber

A few years ago, I bought myself a birthday present—- a Mantus snubber made out of dyneema….its one of the best pieces of kit I’ve ever brought on my boat…. As mentioned above don’t ever use your windlass as a cleat

View attachment 105561
Great idea, I carry 2 with me and a bridal one is heavier duty for the chain, the lighter smaller one I use on the rode and the bridal is for either in the event of any rougher conditions. I made my own of everything you can get dyneema endless climbing slings that work great for this purpose at somewhere like Mec or wesco etc.

Thanks everyone. I'm down in vancouver for the weekend and have found a couple different options to buy slightly used...

Which would be better?

15 feet of chain and 250 feet or rope
Vs
100 feet of chain and 170 feet of rope

Back