WHY

otter

Got to thinking about why a Anchovie proper roll is important.
Why would the so called successful spinning type action be more productive then a slower roll be it a wide roll or a narrower roll. Why would a Salmon focus on the tight roll? What difference would it make?
Just wondering. If a Salmon is feeding then the Anchovie itself would be a target.

B Gibb

The why, is answered by looking at injured bait. They don't roll around in a lazy helicopter roll, rather freshly injured smaller bait usually spins around in a tight jerky motion. Tight is right.:D Plus it closely approximates the natural death roll of fresh kill, and that is what salmon will target.

Having said that, I'm sure someone out there will take issue with that and recommend a helicopter roll death spiral, which works if there are enough fish around in a feeding frenzy....the most effective is still the tight roll. It also works for large herring, but even that is really a tight roll when you take into account the larger bait rolling on a large axis compared to small bait and small axis.

Searun

th_067.jpg

The tight roll with maybe 3 full rotations a second and a slight hestitation in each rotation often is the ticket with chinook. A wider flashy faster roll for coho generally better although a coho will even take a bare hook if they are feeding well. (A bet was won some time ago when a fellow bet he could catch a coho with a revolving cigerette butt cut with a 45 angle! ) A coho is attracted more to the darting fast flash, I think. I think the chinook is likely enticed by a particular roll type and often a tight roll because it more closely imitates the action of a injured baitfish after its been hit. If you have 'the' roll, the chinook's natural predatorial instinct drives it crazy enough to make a big mistake :D A Spoon also looks very much like a baitfish hurt and swimming and wiggling about in a fairly tight path.

This goes in the column, we will never really know. You would have to be a fish. All I can say is have lots of rolls in your arsenal because the preference changes sometimes daily with the movement of different runs. One day a tight roll will work, the next a big wide one will out fish every thing. So many factors determine what they will take. Just having the killer whales pass through chasing the crap out of them can change them onto something specific the next day. How many times do I see "Farmers Days" in the year. A day where only the guys who seldom catch good numbers, are cooning them. While the hot rods only watch and scratch their heads.

Ah so true pro a good friend who taught me to fish used to call them goof days.lol

One day in sooke when fishing was slow my broher puts on a rhys davis head that he had drilled extra holes in it, puts it out the anchovie had about a 2' roll . I said Ha Ha in about 10 minutes he said ha ha ha when he caught a nice 25 lder I said dumb luck , then other fish. I was trying my best to punch a hole in another head with what ever I could find on the boat.[?]

Back