Why Not Use a Bilge Type Pump For Cooling?

Fishing?

Just wondering why it would not work?

Cars went to electric fans instead of mechanical for the most part.

It is water flow that is the important thing.

Some of these pumps are doing many hundreds of GALLONS per minute/hour.

It should not be hard to bypass or insert to the cooling system, in - out.

Ideas? Could save fuel and be way easier to maintain. IMHO.

I am sure there will be an engineer along soon to talk about efficiencies.
Basically you are looking at taking power from the flywheel to power 'traditional' raw water pump vs. belt driven alternator sending power to a battery to power an electric bilge pump.

Just wondering why it would not work?

Cars went to electric fans instead of mechanical for the most part.

It is water flow that is the important thing.

Some of these pumps are doing many hundreds of GALLONS per minute/hour.

It should not be hard to bypass or insert to the cooling system, in - out.

Ideas? Could save fuel and be way easier to maintain. IMHO.

They do have pumps that are designed to do this. If memory serves they are called constant duty cycle pumps. Yes water flow is important and you have to trigger the pump at the right time. For example you don't want the pump running when the engine is not that's why you don't just hook it to the ignition when the key is on but the engine is not. Again if memory serves, you use a pressure switch that runs off oil pressure.
I'm not an engineer so you will have to do your own research on the recommended pumps and hookups.

Ok try this.

Mount a bilge pump with and automatic float switch on your transom and run the discharge hose through a one way check valve to a Y valve on the flushing attachment on your engine for cooling when the engine is idling.

Now mount a ¾” piece of pipe down the transom of your boat with a 90 degree fitting facing under your boat. Run another hose, again through a one way check valve, to the Y valve at the flushing port on your engine. When you open the throttle and get up on plane water pressure will force the water up the hose and into the cooling system.

Still unsure as to the reason for this exercise.
If it to save fuel, putting anything into the laminar flow of water with the hull is highly inefficient.
Belt power take off should have similar efficiency, then transforming that to electrical through an alternator, losing some through the wire to the bilge pump, then pumping back to the engine cannot result in fuel savings.

Cars sit in very hot environments with a/c running. Cannot cool the engine with mechanical fan, so some have electrical assist or primaries.
That is not a problem for boats in tidal waters BC.

Is this just theoretical or trying to solve an actual problem?

Still unsure as to the reason for this exercise.
If it to save fuel, putting anything into the laminar flow of water with the hull is highly inefficient.
Belt power take off should have similar efficiency, then transforming that to electrical through an alternator, losing some through the wire to the bilge pump, then pumping back to the engine cannot result in fuel savings.

Cars sit in very hot environments with a/c running. Cannot cool the engine with mechanical fan, so some have electrical assist or primaries.
That is not a problem for boats in tidal waters BC.

Is this just theoretical or trying to solve an actual problem?
No. just about to change the impeller again and wondered why this wasn't an option.

Years ago most cars had AC and mechanical fans, some still do

We went to electric fans in our race cars and saved around 12 hp needed to run a mechanical fan, the alternator already is running all the time and the power steering so there should not be any extra loss of power.

I might give it a try, just hook the raw water feed to a bilge pump that has an "in" and "out" and the out to the cooler and exhaust.
You guys in the gummies already?
No, just going crazy reading DFO reports, have to be stoned for those to make any sense. The latest, fish can't swim because there is too much water too fast this year. Like there has never, ever been lots of water moving fast ever before in history? Yep, have to be stoned to agree with that.

Sometimes I think it's smart to keep it simple.. The raw water pump on my ski boat doesn't even have a belt, it also has ram water intake, I doubt that pump uses 1 hp. I had to replace it once because I forgot to reinstall a 1/8" pipe plug on the suction side and melted my impeller, four screws on the front plate to replace the impeller, pretty much maintenance free. I can't see an electric water pump making a significant reduction of fuel flowing through that 750 cfm Holley to feed the 450 hp.

lose the power steering pump and belt and go fully hdy steering better gains to be had that way ...

seems crazy to go from a proven piece of equipment like a engine driven impeller pump to save 3 bucks a year in fuel. I think would put my faith in a mechanical pump Vrs anything electric in a saltwater boat.

the cost of a impeller is pretty cheap when your blowing a steam geyser in the middle of the ocean.

but what do I know? good luck with the science experiment maybe your on to something?

Back