Bilge Pumps in Small Places - A Solution

Saxe Point

I have seen seen many innovative ideas in this forum. This one is not huge, and it is not mine - I read about it on the internet and it sounded like a good idea. It has worked out great for me, so I thought I would share it.

There is very little room in most bilge areas. My 16 foot Double Eagle's bilge is no exception. There's a small recessed area in the floor at the very back against the transom, where the plug is. Rather than try to screw anything into the floor or transom [i.e. the pump, a block, a bracket], I simply mounted the pump to a piece of checker plate aluminum cut to fit in the small recessed area. This accomplishes several things. It's easy to pull the whole unit out when cleaning and using the drain. This also makes it easier to see if anything is blocking the plastic screen/filter base to which the pump connects. It's also a snap to replace pumps - just unscrew the base from the checker plate [one of the pictures shows the new & old holes in my plate]. And best of all, no hassle mounting or screwing anything to the boat in a spot where there no room to maneuver. Just place the plate in the bilge and the pump sits properly, right were it should. I recessed the screws and coated the corners of the plate with Marine Goop. Here are a couple of pictures I took to show you what I'm talking about. I replaced my pump and the pictures show the new one.

I am a lousy handyman, so I was pleased that I pulled this off.

Attachments

• IMGP1296.jpg
    IMGP1296.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 187
  • IMGP1297.jpg
    IMGP1297.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 193
Our boat, that we purchased recently, came with a bilge pump already attached to an aluminum plate. I was concerned that it may fall over in rough weather, but it has endured some pretty good pounding and still stayed upright. Great idea!!

Our boat, that we purchased recently, came with a bilge pump already attached to an aluminum plate. I was concerned that it may fall over in rough weather, but it has endured some pretty good pounding and still stayed upright. Great idea!!

Interesting. New or used boat? What make? Was the plate a factory job or home made?

Interesting. New or used boat? What make? Was the plate a factory job or home made?

It is used, Starcraft SS, and the bilge pump is homemade pump/plate set up that is wired to manual switch. It would be a good idea though to set up a separate automatic pump for back up!!

Back