Why are jets banned on the Gold?

quote:Originally posted by Dinnertime
I would say that when a great guide such as Mcinroy can't make a living there anymore your days are numbered as well.

Hey, would that be Greg McInroy, originally from the Lower Rainland?

bug.gif

I have learned silence from the talkative, toleration from the intolerant, and kindness from the unkind; yet strange, I am ungrateful to those teachers.

Fishmyster:

You make an interesting point - that repeated C&R has absolutely no impact on fish. Period. Ever.

As a pretty keen angler myself, and one who does at least his share of C&R I wish you were right. But unfortunately you're not. It's basic common sense. The more a fish is hooked, the greater its shance of a fatal encounter with a deep hook. I'm not raving eco freak or C&R apologist. I like to catch fish as much as the next guy and have no issue with C&R or retention, for that matter. The chances of a fish getting f#ed up by a hook increases directly with the number of times its caught. Its simple probability my friend. What you do does impact the stock, as does my fishing time. Thats what mortaility rates are all about. They may be low, but they're not zero.

What does make sense is your assertion that by repeatedly catching the same fish over and over again, that we achieve greater social and economic beneift from that fish. True enough, and excellent justification for continuing or increasing hatchery production in rivers that are conducive to the kind of pressure that jets create.

I have abolustely no issue with what you do, I just don't agree with the idea that its a good thing for every flow.

Tight lines...

Gooey out on this subject.

Hi Gooey. As far as I remember I claimed that repeated c&r doesn't harm the fish STOCKS not fish. You might have misinterpreted me? c&r does hurt fish lots!!! That's probably why they fight so hard he-he.
Fish are the fruit of the aquatic environment. The loss of a few individual specimens due to hooking mortality will not affect the future stock abundance or fruiting ability of any stream. I'm finding that the fish caught and observed in remote rivers are conciderably more thrashed and beat up than in heavily fished rivers. There can be a natural predation free for all in remote places. To loose large high percentages of a returning brood year to predation is natural. That's why they have so many eggs for seed. Habitat loss is the real threat to future sh stocks. Not c&r fishing. The economic worth of angling activity is the best hope for protecting the streams from habitat depriving encroachments in the future.

Back