Why are jets banned on the Gold?

quote:Originally posted by Dave H

Island Fish Lifter wrote:

"Wow Dave H. Your name-calling appears to show your intelligence. What a stand up guy. You must have some kind of "penis" envy. Cheers, Dave H."

Could someone translate this into something intelligible for me please.

Apparently I've called someone a name, I'm intelligent and I can stand erect with an envious penis, or some such combination.

I never realized I was so multi-talented. :D

Take care.

Since I havnt had the pleasure of debating, arguing, or whatever with you before, I can say with all honesty that my first impression of you tells me that youre somewhat of a bully.. Anyway, my name is Dave H., thats why I signed it that way.

untitled.jpg

Fill the dam tub!

quote:Originally posted by Dave H

Island Fish Lifter wrote:

"Wow Dave H. Your name-calling appears to show your intelligence. What a stand up guy. You must have some kind of "penis" envy. Cheers, Dave H."

Could someone translate this into something intelligible for me please.

Apparently I've called someone a name, I'm intelligent and I can stand erect with an envious penis, or some such combination.

I never realized I was so multi-talented. :D

Take care.

Since I havnt had the pleasure of debating, arguing, or whatever with you before, I can say with all honesty that my first impression of you tells me that youre somewhat of a bully.. Anyway, my name is Dave H., thats why I signed it that way.

untitled.jpg

Fill the dam tub!

It's late I'm tired but I want to put up a quick pic taken on the Gold years ago just as the ratbags were conspiring to ban jetboats.

That's Greg M holding the fish and I think Ken Fishmyster was using a jet raft as I remember meeting him on the river that day.
Carl Z
Vancouver BC

goldriversteelie.jpg

billreidsalmon.jpg

It's late I'm tired but I want to put up a quick pic taken on the Gold years ago just as the ratbags were conspiring to ban jetboats.

That's Greg M holding the fish and I think Ken Fishmyster was using a jet raft as I remember meeting him on the river that day.
Carl Z
Vancouver BC

goldriversteelie.jpg

billreidsalmon.jpg

Good post Ken. Banning Jets is about as lame as making rivers fly fishing only. It all comes from the same cry babies whining to their freinds in power because they think only "ELITE"[:eek:)] fishermen should get to enjoy the resource. If you dont like the fishery here maybe you should move to the middle of nowhere on the north coast where you can be all alone, I definitely wont miss you.

Good post Ken. Banning Jets is about as lame as making rivers fly fishing only. It all comes from the same cry babies whining to their freinds in power because they think only "ELITE"[:eek:)] fishermen should get to enjoy the resource. If you dont like the fishery here maybe you should move to the middle of nowhere on the north coast where you can be all alone, I definitely wont miss you.

quote:Originally posted by Dogbreath

Carl Z
Vancouver BC

goldriversteelie.jpg

billreidsalmon.jpg
Ah the great Greg Mcinroy.Lots of memorable trips jetting the Gold and Stamp and lots of Fish.Those were the days.Where and what is Greg doing these winter months??????

quote:Originally posted by Dogbreath

Carl Z
Vancouver BC

goldriversteelie.jpg

billreidsalmon.jpg
Ah the great Greg Mcinroy.Lots of memorable trips jetting the Gold and Stamp and lots of Fish.Those were the days.Where and what is Greg doing these winter months??????

Youngsteelheader, you and I seem pretty closely aligned on this topic.

Fishmyster, thanks for taking the time to communicate rationally on this topic. My recent experience will not put me off all jetters, but it does reinforce my instinctual belief that jet access to BC rivers should be regulated. There is no need for a free-for-all. There are enough rivers here to open a few to shared use with jets, giving ample opportunity for both recreational jetters and guides, as well as joyriders and thrill seekers, without depriving those of us who chose to fish from alternate platforms, or for other reasons than the chance at huge days, to enjoy the sounds and smells of nature within a short drive from almost any town on the Island.

I like the idea of devoted and qualified guides making a living on VI. They can be a strong voice for conservation, and provide eyes on the water looking for changing conditions and for poachers. But limiting jet access does not preclude a viable charter industry. Many guides make a good living all over (for example in the Rocky Mountain Foothills) leading guests on foot or on drifts. Rather than encouraging entrepreneurship, deregulating jet access would probably drive many guides out of the market, and keep many more experienced outdoorsmen from entering the industry. Deregulation could/would make jet boat charters the norm, such that drift or walk-and-wade charters would become obsolete. This would drive the cost of entry into the industry much higher, effectively barring many would-be guides from even contemplating the business. Instead, a few bigger operators, like Murphy's, would come to dominate the industry, hiring fishing labourers at a day rate; independents would have a hard go. Now, there may not be anything inherently "wrong" with this picture, but it is not the ideal future of VI steelheading as I envision it.

To be clear, I do not have any concrete view regarding jets on the Gold. My opinion is that, since jets have become an entrenched part of BC steelheading, we need to determine which rivers they will be allowed to run. But unfettered access should not be the default, with restrictions being imposed on a stream-by-stream basis. Jets should only be allowed on those flows where there is good reason to permit them.

There has been a lot of dreck on this tread. Lots of name calling, especially directed towards bank anglers. This troubles me. First of all, it is deeply hypocritical. The constant refrain is "bankies are cry babies". But in post after post, it is the pro-jet crowd who is whining -so loudly that it can be heard over the whine of their jet pumps. You guys should take a look in the mirror before you start throwing mud, and consider whether such baseless insults are going to do anything to help your cause. You may have noticed, the anti-jet crowd is winning the policy debate, even if it is somewhat subdued on the fishing site.

Secondly, we are all avid and passionate fishers on here, and that should come first. Myster has it right, the biggest threats to out beloved steelhead are habitat loss and climate change. Terminology like "bank maggots" will make collaboration on the more important issues almost impossible. Unreasoned self-interest is perhaps the most serious of all threats to our wild fish.

Thirdly, Myster asked that I not let one bad jetter form my opinion of the whole group. It won't. But the mean spirited, selfish, bullying attitude expressed by all but one of the jetters who have contributed to this thread will. Many of you guys come across as complete a$$ holes. You seem like the type of people who will start yelling or resorting to physical intimidation at the first sign of criticism or argument. I understand that some of you are passionate about regaining access to the Gold, but that does not entitle you to being jerks. Once again, I am not wholly opposed to jets. But I am opposed to being slandered with derogatory epithets because I choose to fish in the least intrusive way I can, which I also find to be the most rewarding personally.

I think this is an interesting topic, and it deserves more than a pot-kettle ***** fest.

Youngsteelheader, you and I seem pretty closely aligned on this topic.

Fishmyster, thanks for taking the time to communicate rationally on this topic. My recent experience will not put me off all jetters, but it does reinforce my instinctual belief that jet access to BC rivers should be regulated. There is no need for a free-for-all. There are enough rivers here to open a few to shared use with jets, giving ample opportunity for both recreational jetters and guides, as well as joyriders and thrill seekers, without depriving those of us who chose to fish from alternate platforms, or for other reasons than the chance at huge days, to enjoy the sounds and smells of nature within a short drive from almost any town on the Island.

I like the idea of devoted and qualified guides making a living on VI. They can be a strong voice for conservation, and provide eyes on the water looking for changing conditions and for poachers. But limiting jet access does not preclude a viable charter industry. Many guides make a good living all over (for example in the Rocky Mountain Foothills) leading guests on foot or on drifts. Rather than encouraging entrepreneurship, deregulating jet access would probably drive many guides out of the market, and keep many more experienced outdoorsmen from entering the industry. Deregulation could/would make jet boat charters the norm, such that drift or walk-and-wade charters would become obsolete. This would drive the cost of entry into the industry much higher, effectively barring many would-be guides from even contemplating the business. Instead, a few bigger operators, like Murphy's, would come to dominate the industry, hiring fishing labourers at a day rate; independents would have a hard go. Now, there may not be anything inherently "wrong" with this picture, but it is not the ideal future of VI steelheading as I envision it.

To be clear, I do not have any concrete view regarding jets on the Gold. My opinion is that, since jets have become an entrenched part of BC steelheading, we need to determine which rivers they will be allowed to run. But unfettered access should not be the default, with restrictions being imposed on a stream-by-stream basis. Jets should only be allowed on those flows where there is good reason to permit them.

There has been a lot of dreck on this tread. Lots of name calling, especially directed towards bank anglers. This troubles me. First of all, it is deeply hypocritical. The constant refrain is "bankies are cry babies". But in post after post, it is the pro-jet crowd who is whining -so loudly that it can be heard over the whine of their jet pumps. You guys should take a look in the mirror before you start throwing mud, and consider whether such baseless insults are going to do anything to help your cause. You may have noticed, the anti-jet crowd is winning the policy debate, even if it is somewhat subdued on the fishing site.

Secondly, we are all avid and passionate fishers on here, and that should come first. Myster has it right, the biggest threats to out beloved steelhead are habitat loss and climate change. Terminology like "bank maggots" will make collaboration on the more important issues almost impossible. Unreasoned self-interest is perhaps the most serious of all threats to our wild fish.

Thirdly, Myster asked that I not let one bad jetter form my opinion of the whole group. It won't. But the mean spirited, selfish, bullying attitude expressed by all but one of the jetters who have contributed to this thread will. Many of you guys come across as complete a$$ holes. You seem like the type of people who will start yelling or resorting to physical intimidation at the first sign of criticism or argument. I understand that some of you are passionate about regaining access to the Gold, but that does not entitle you to being jerks. Once again, I am not wholly opposed to jets. But I am opposed to being slandered with derogatory epithets because I choose to fish in the least intrusive way I can, which I also find to be the most rewarding personally.

I think this is an interesting topic, and it deserves more than a pot-kettle ***** fest.

S2, An excellent post, I totally agree with many of the points you made. I also share your concerns about the derisive names used to describe shore anglers. Just to make sure this reply is not percieved driven by jealousy let me say that I own and use both a driftboat and a jetboat.

S2, An excellent post, I totally agree with many of the points you made. I also share your concerns about the derisive names used to describe shore anglers. Just to make sure this reply is not percieved driven by jealousy let me say that I own and use both a driftboat and a jetboat.

There are lots of flows on VI that jets could and never will be able to access. Natural obstacles such as falls, logjams and strong rapids. These flows usually the smaller more delicate rivers will always be "quiet" and "special" for those seeking that type of outing. For those seeking something different there should also be that option. Right now all jets are crammed into one flow, the SSS. The larger systems can handle jets on them. It has been the mandate of "mainly" one user group who doesn't share this opinion. Nobody is slagging the bank fisherman, were all are bank fisherman at times. Speaking from experience I know that everyone on this thread still fishes from the bank time to time. On those rivers that bank access is a more "effective" way to fish that particular system. Its very well known on VI that the user groups that have pushed for "jet bans", "bait bans" and "fly only" rivers are the fly fishing community. Certain small groups in each town close to a certain river have had there way steering the DFO and MOE in the direction that serves there interest best. This is not a claim rather a fact. Were not asking for "jet only", "bait only" or "gear only" rivers. I believe the rivers should be available and open to whatever gear choice and means of of traveling it you see fit. It is a risk every day going out in a jet boat, drift boat, pontoon boat and even wading the bank. That choice should be mine though, I don't like being dictated to by others...

Pass the Pack

There are lots of flows on VI that jets could and never will be able to access. Natural obstacles such as falls, logjams and strong rapids. These flows usually the smaller more delicate rivers will always be "quiet" and "special" for those seeking that type of outing. For those seeking something different there should also be that option. Right now all jets are crammed into one flow, the SSS. The larger systems can handle jets on them. It has been the mandate of "mainly" one user group who doesn't share this opinion. Nobody is slagging the bank fisherman, were all are bank fisherman at times. Speaking from experience I know that everyone on this thread still fishes from the bank time to time. On those rivers that bank access is a more "effective" way to fish that particular system. Its very well known on VI that the user groups that have pushed for "jet bans", "bait bans" and "fly only" rivers are the fly fishing community. Certain small groups in each town close to a certain river have had there way steering the DFO and MOE in the direction that serves there interest best. This is not a claim rather a fact. Were not asking for "jet only", "bait only" or "gear only" rivers. I believe the rivers should be available and open to whatever gear choice and means of of traveling it you see fit. It is a risk every day going out in a jet boat, drift boat, pontoon boat and even wading the bank. That choice should be mine though, I don't like being dictated to by others...

Pass the Pack

Instead of turning left in Campbell River, why not just go straight on thru to the Nimpkish. I see nothing about a power boat ban there. There are even some access points there, no?

Wow, amazing to see this tired old thread resurrected.

Anyways, I've enjoyed my jet boat trips immensely, and really can see how not a single piece of even remotely fishable water gets missed by a skilled angler\skipper combination. Truly the most efficient means of maxing out your catch ever devised for the flow.

IMO, thats the problem. Even using a drift boat (which I do regularly) there are certain sections of holding water that you simply can't reach, and when you've done your business in a given run, you move on and oan't come back. Not so with a jet boat. Every little slot, eddy, boulder and seam is accessible for as long as you want to fish it.

With the use of jets, there is simply no where for fish to get any rest or security. They're all vulnerable to multiple encounters on any given day.

I don't pretend to be any kind of expert in this stuff, but common sense tells me that once a fish has been hooked X number of imtes 9even in the same day) that its chances of a mortal encounter with a deep hook must increase?

I don't resent those that use them, although I don't enjoy the noise and exhaust satink (especially from 2 strokes). In then end, If I had to offer advice to MoE and TC, I'd suggest that rivers like the SSS, Skeena, Lower Dean, Fraser etc that are big enough to handle the physical impacts, and have healthy enough runs to handle the pressure, should definitely allow the use of jet boats for anglers that prefer them.

Smaller flows, fragile runs, etc leave 'em alone - if you want to fish them, get out and walk like the rest of us. No one's stopping you. It appears from this thread that the whining is going both ways [}:)]

Gooey.

Back