Whos doing your Insurance?

NootkaSounder

The Tuna thread got me thinking, Who's doing your insurance? and what does it cover?

Are you insuring your boat for theft and sinking?
Are you just doing 3rd party insurance to cover your guests?
or do you even feel it is necessary?

I know a few guides who run with no insurance and as I read some wont run without it.

been pricing out insurance for this year to cover myself and investments anyone have a good person(agent) to talk to?
what's your opinion?

Geoff Hope at Hun Intl Barton Campbell River. He was a guide when he was young and i've been insuring my boats with him for over 25 yrs. He will take care of you.

The cheapest insurance policy isn't the best one

If you are in the Victoria area check out Christie Phoenix Insurance. They have very good rates and have policies that will cover you farther out them the standard 5 miles offshore limit. This is important if you do any offshore bank or tuna fishing. Here is there link: http://www.christiephoenix.com/

Thanks for the reply, Im Located in Calgary and work in a mine up north, I called TD insurance and they only do boats newer then 15 years old.

I run out to constance now and then when im on the island with myself and friends, but my big concern is when my guide takes clients out to the highway outside of Nootka. More making sure they and myself are protected.

IF something ever did happen I could care less about the boat the artificial reef can have it, more worried about the people onboard and the outcome that could result against myself or my guide.

Last edited by a moderator:
Whoever you go with ensure it covers "Hull & Machinery". I use Coast Claims. Had an excellent experience having a complete inboard covered due to catastrophic failure.

Back