who needs the big qualicum

Thanx chev, I made a brief appearance that turned into seeing a few buddies and having a chinwag. Lots of ho's being done in this morning with reports of a shwack of fish layin off the beach.-dirty
Bye the way the gem was a little slower at first light, with only a handful.. Better than sleepin in I guess..

I took the sleep in route this morning. Figured i had my fun for the weekend. Got my plan for next weekend though:saturday-warm up at the show for a few hours sunday-chasin steel

"They" in question have no freakin clue buddy, whoever "They" may be.. I will give you one freebie seeing's how that river has no chance in hell in producing a pair of wild natal coho.. Going years back, and not anything recent, there was once a small push of lgr. than normal wild fish that would enter the system as late as the third week of dec.. Given the water conditions, which are usually favourable at that time of year, you would encounter a squirrel of a fish while targeting the first of the winter steelhead runs.. I have sat and watched guy's (right up to last season with the artificial fly regs. in place) kill a nickle bright steelhead, all the while thinking he got an odd coho late in the season.. Mother nature dictates when the last run occur's, take it from someone that has grown up his whole life fishing and studying such streams.. Twenty guy's can give you the answer your looking for and if they have the least bit of knowledge regarding the life cycle you may get within a certain hair of the answer.. I am sure you know which hair I am talking about..
Take your time when asking certain questions, especially on this board if you don't want to be eatin by the buzzards. One thing I have learned, listen to everything that is being said, and as much as you would like to throw your two cents in, hold back and pay attention.. You will learn more from listening than you will trying to b.s. your way through the majority of these threads..
This also goe's for the other newbie's that have entered this site.. Spend the 90% of the time that it takes to learn by what you hear and the other 10% in asking for help.. It comes down to, especially when guiding, knowing when to keep the yap shut and try to extract a bit of useful info out of something you may hear.. I have watched grown men cry in their pillow half way through a 4 month season because the b.s. their way into a position they could not make.. Listen do not beek!!!!whew-dirty

OK i have a problem. I cant decide between fishing and snowboard this winter. Many people told me there is nothing to fish for in the winter and the chance of me getting steelhead anywere is slim to none. Is this true? I would say fishing hands down but if i wont ever catch anything is it worth it? If it is worth it i will buy a new flyrod and waders if not a board. also if its worth it where should i go?

beachcomber NANOOSE

quote:Many people told me there is nothing to fish for in the winter and the chance of me getting steelhead anywere is slim to none

practice makes perfect. Steelhead fishing is a sport that does require a bit more skill and knowledge than flossing for coho. It may take a while before you hook your first steelhead but the effort is worth it.This year will be my 6th season of steelheading(would have been more but i am only 18). It probably took me a good 10 trips to the stamp before I finally got my first steelie(thanks to Darren M) so you might have to put some time into it. So if you think you want to catch steelhead then dont put it off another season.

Tried a different little river and got 5 coho between 6-10 pounds. Lost 1 and purposely lost a chum. All this in 45 min and after the sun hit the river not a bite.

beachcomber NANOOSE

quote:
anyone got info about Muir creek? The one between Sooke and Jordan river. Found it at the end of the coho run,hear there may be steelhead there,if so,let me know.Let's save the Vancouver island steelie.

ben wright

quote:
anyone got info about Muir creek? The one between Sooke and Jordan river. Found it at the end of the coho run,hear there may be steelhead there,if so,let me know.Let's save the Vancouver island steelie.

ben wright

quote:
anyone got info about Muir creek? The one between Sooke and Jordan river. Found it at the end of the coho run,hear there may be steelhead there,if so,let me know.Let's save the Vancouver island steelie.there won't be any steelhead showing up until december

ben wright

quote:
anyone got info about Muir creek? The one between Sooke and Jordan river. Found it at the end of the coho run,hear there may be steelhead there,if so,let me know.Let's save the Vancouver island steelie.there won't be any steelhead showing up until december

ben wright

Back