Who fly's flag's?

Sculpin

Just wondering who fly's flags on their vessels and which ones and why?

I just put a nice jolly roger up on my am/fm antenna. I have been looking for salmon and halibut catch flags but having a hard time finding a halibut one. I know the Salmon University guy's put out some through Silver Horde but I can't seem to find them. I want to start flying some catch flags this year. I have never seen anyone up here with them but I thought it would be a fun thing to try:).

I bought some clips that only fit my narrow am/fm antenna and want to know what others do to attach to their thicker vhf antenna's. Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers,
John

Last edited by a moderator:
Nucks flag fly`s on my boat. Also have a pirate bandana that my boat reps hard.

DSC_0512.JPG

a Tyee Flag perhaps.

a Tuna Flag wouldn't hurt either :)

Awesome stuff Dave. I don't need to ask why lol. Does it just slip over the antenna or how is it attached?

a Tyee Flag perhaps.

a Tuna Flag wouldn't hurt either :)

I think a custom tyee flag would be awesome:). I haven't seen one yet. Maybe us Canuck's should make one.

The albacore flag's are readily available by Taylor Made and a few other manufacturer's and I will be getting one in short order:cool:. I probably will get a catch and release flag as well as we do alot of that on my boat.

I really want to know what is the best and quickest way to attach a flag to your VHF antenna? Quick removal is a must as well. The spring clips I bought won't work on a VHF antenna. Maybe they make bigger ones?

This catch flag thing is really popular in other parts of the world and you just don't see it up here at all. I just think it would be fun is all. Fishing is supposed to be fun right? lol.

I really like FB's suggestion of a Tyee flag. I'm going to talk to my graphic artist guy and see what it would cost to pump out a couple hundred. If they aren't too much I may think of selling them and putting all of the profit toward's something good for wild fish. It's just an idea. How many folks would like a Tyee catch flag to fly proudly on their vessel? How many folks would like a halibut catch flag?

Have them run a few of these while your at it. Might just fly off the shelves. haha

Attachments

• DFO.jpg
    DFO.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 51
I'm in for a tyee one Sculps

Just wondering who fly's flags on their vessels and which ones and why? Any help would be appreciated. Cheers, John

Good thread, John. I fly a Canadian pennant from the all-around lamp post on the hard-top - attached with tie-wraps until I come up with something better. It's a patriotic and gratitude thing - I'm a fortunate and proud Canadian and I love this country: warts and all. I come from a military family so it's a tradition, as well.

I fly a Molson Canadian flag on mine. The plain white one with the big red maple leaf. It's my good luck flag and have had lots of comments on it.

Dave

Awesome stuff Dave. I don't need to ask why lol. Does it just slip over the antenna or how is it attached?

Slides over antenna, punched a hole in fabric at top and bottom of flag, thread zap strap through hole and around anteena.

Here's a halibut one from Charkbait but they are out of stock.

605Z-Halibut_small.jpg

The are out of stock on the salmon one as well.

605AA-Salmon_small.jpg

I was thinking maybe one similar with just the head and then the word Tyee written to the shape of the salmon body followed by the tail would look kinda cool.

Cheers,
John

I was thinking maybe one similar with just the head and then the word Tyee written to the shape of the salmon body followed by the tail would look kinda cool.

Cheers,
John

I think that would look pretty good....it would look pretty good in a "burgee" style too.

If you do get any made up John you should look to a fairly bright colour....if you're looking from the distance to see a "white" Tyee flag/burgee it's going to be tough to see. Something like orange with navy lettering/graphic would look pretty good and guys would be able to tell at a distance it's you. Definitely a bit mor unique as you don't see many orange flags/burgees out there at all.

I think that would look pretty good....it would look pretty good in a "burgee" style too.

If you do get any made up John you should look to a fairly bright colour....if you're looking from the distance to see a "white" Tyee flag/burgee it's going to be tough to see. Something like orange with navy lettering/graphic would look pretty good and guys would be able to tell at a distance it's you. Definitely a bit mor unique as you don't see many orange flags/burgees out there at all.

Good idea Scott. No pink? ha ha (had to throw that in there). My boat came with a Salty Dog flag (ifish forum saltwater section) but I lost the damn thing. It was pretty cool and had a bulldog head with a pirate patch over one eye.

John, was your idea behind these a trophy flags or 'for your info' flags.

I've watched program where they were fishing Black Marlin, couldn't say where at the moment, but they had a simple black triangle flag that you would post coming into port if you managed to catch one.

Another I saw was a similar flag to the salmon and hali flags you posted from charkbait, but when a sizeable trophy catch was made, they would fly the flag upside-down.

John, was your idea behind these a trophy flags or 'for your info' flags.

I've watched program where they were fishing Black Marlin, couldn't say where at the moment, but they had a simple black triangle flag that you would post coming into port if you managed to catch one.

Another I saw was a similar flag to the salmon and hali flags you posted from charkbait, but when a sizeable trophy catch was made, they would fly the flag upside-down.

I don't think catch flags are necessarily for trophy's I think they are more for your info and just for fun. You don't see them up here much at all so I thought what the heck let's start flying some:). I'm not sure of the history of them but I'm assuming they got started in tournament fishing.

I'm going to fly a Canadian flag as well like Foxsea to show my patriotism.

Cheers,
John

Back