Who do you support

Bod

It has been said that we are pretty disorganized bunch and we don't have much of a voice to fight DFO. So what should we do? What do you do?
I belong to Nicomekl Enhancement Society. A good bunch of volunteers that raise a lot of fish. As I don't live near there anymore and can't help out taking brood stock, picking eggs, releasing fish and all the other work that goes on I donate a fishing trip that they raffel off to raise funds.
By belonging there I am a member of BCWF.
Who should we support?
Ken

I support the BCWF because I hunt & fish. Got to renew my membership.
I also started the WSA (Wild Salmon Alliance) and had about 300 or more members once. Then the RCMP accused me of making bomb-threats against 3-offices of the DFO here in BC, and pretty much everyone bailed. Life goes on.

BCWF and the Nanaimo & District F & G Protective Assn.
Dave

i have four hatcheries within 5 mins of my place:),, i need to get more involved:cool:, used to catch brood stock for the coquitlam hatchery..takin the kids to the salmon festival today at hyde creek after their done cleaning this mornings prawn haul..:D

I support the Sunshine Coast Salmonid Enhancement Society (Sechelt, Gibsons, Pender Harbour).

I don't live close enough to volunteer, but have been sending money for more than a decade.

Just got this via email over the weekend:

Become a Volunteer with the Sunshine Coast Salmonid Enhancement Society!

Working at the Chapman Creek hatchery is fun, socially enjoyable, educational and results in a program that stocks our rivers, streams, lakes and offshore salt water with several varieties of salmon, rainbow and cutthroat trout. During the last year, approximately 1,300,000 quality salmon were released into the many rivers and streams of the Sunshine Coast. This impressive program furthers economic growth in tourism, retail sales, education and recreation for residents and visitors alike.

The SCSES is a non-profit organization that is funded by provincial, community and individual contributions. The Chapman Creek hatchery depends on the professional management of Bob Anstead and a number of volunteers who assist in the hatching, rearing and release of young salmon throughout the Sunshine Coast. The SCSES is also served by a Board of Directors who support the program in numerous ways.

The Chapman Creek hatchery is now accepting applications for volunteers who can contribute at least three to four hours a week. The work is interesting, not physically demanding, and offers an opportunity to enjoy the camaraderie of working with an outstanding group of associate volunteers. There is also an opening for women or men to assist in the hatchery office for whatever time one can contribute.

SCSES also requires three more members for the Board of Directors. A position on the Board requires attendance at a monthly, two hour meeting. Additionally, Directors assist in several social functions such as the annual Rivers Day observance and the Dinner/Auction fund raising banquet. This is a voluntary opportunity that is enjoyable and rewarding in a number of ways.

Ken........ you might want to consider joining the Pacific Salmon Foundation. They take on the issues of the fishery at a more political level. www.psf.ca

A good topic. I have always believed we should put something back into the resource and sport we all enjoy.

I support the PSF - been on the organizing committee for the Qualicum Beach Banquet for the past 6 years. The PSF has supported a large number of habitat and public education projects on Vancouver Island. The PSF is an excellent organization, and I would highly recommend anyone who is looking to put their efforts into something that will help put salmon back in our waters, they are an excellent group to work with.

I support the BC Federation of Drift Fishers, who have done a great job representing the interests of river anglers as well as working hard to establish cooperative relationships with First Nations and seeking ways we can work with other NGO's such as the BCFFF, BCWF, SSBC etc on conservation issues. I've been involved as a Director with the BCFDF since inception, and can say that most folks have really no idea how many great ways the BCFDF has worked across the province to help promote sport fishing, educate youth and encourage new young anglers through the Pathway to Fishing program, and lobby for conservation.

Regardless which conservation organization you like, I would really encourage others on our forum to get involved. You will benefit through the great people you will meet, and the nice feeling from helping make a difference for our fishery....and hopefully we can do something to ensure there are plenty of fish for our children and grandchildren.

I have spent a few days voluntering on the Nitnat doing broodstock collection and egg processing. Just today i sent a proposal for a look at the managing techniques of area 23 DFO. When you think how much we use and care for the resource its clear most like me havent done nearly enough. Hats off to those of you making a difference and i will definatly try make more of a contribution.

Back