Which new 120 hp 4 stroke to buy?

nicnat

i currently have a 2003 90hp suzuki 4 stroke on my 17 1/2 foot aluminum boat. this has been a great motor, no issues or breakdowns at all, i want a little more power than what I have and have decided to buy a new 120 hp 4 stroke, and sell or trade my 90 hp. I'm looking for input on your recommendations, pro and con, on the mercs yamaha's and suzukis. i kjnow the johnson efi's are nice engines and i know the owner of lordship quite well, but i am sticking with a 4 stroke for sure. i'm thinking i'll probably go with whichever one i can get the best deal on but would really appreciate any feedback on these engines.

cheers nicnat

Don't know if any new 120 but there are lots of 115. My choice would be Suzuki or which ever dealer that you know and trust by from them. There all good

My recommendation would be the 115HO etec from Lordship but you say you're set on 4-stroke. If it has to be a four stroke then I'd say Suzuki as well. The Yamaha's are nice motors but you'll be paying an extra grand when all said and done for a Yami over a suzi.

Whatever you buy make sure you get a 5-year warranty. All new out boards should come with that.

I have both. 225 Suzuki on my lake boat and twin 175 Etecs on my ocean boat.
Suzuki is a great engine and I would buy again if all was the same as when I originally purchased. I have had since new in 2008 and hasn't missed a beat. Change the oil every spring and your good to go. Other than the fact that Suzuki has done a really poor job with support in the last few years. My dealer told me lately that the cost of Suzuki has increased significantly. Parts are even harder to come by and can also be expensive. And that is not what anyone needs. The Etecs are great and work very well with lots of power. I use them for trolling down and they work great. No loud kicker buzzing your ears all day. For the hours I am able to get out, it doesn't create a concern as far as putting extra hours on the engines. Now the 2 stroke oil does frustrate me somewhat and is a costly. My suggestion would be to go with Yamaha. They are very reliable, thousands of them around and in most cases or areas repairs shouldn't be a real issue. That would be very important to me!!
If you have any questions that I can assist with just PM me. Good luck!!

Last edited by a moderator:
sorry had a brain fart when I 1st posted, I did mean a 115Hp 4 stroke. thanks for the replies

Yamaha. Very reliable. Very common. They are investing in there marine product for the future and will be around for a long time with a good dealer network.

Personally I buy a Mercury, I am sick of Yamaha. They fail to warranty anything. They corrode from the inside and outside and release statements that they recognize the problem but won't warranty it. They have had so many problems over the years yet fishermen continue to think that it ok.

I'd buy Mercury then a Suzuki even an Etec..... Won't see me buying another Yamaha for some time to come

Personally I buy a Mercury, I am sick of Yamaha. They fail to warranty anything. They corrode from the inside and outside and release statements that they recognize the problem but won't warranty it. They have had so many problems over the years yet fishermen continue to think that it ok.

I'd buy Mercury then a Suzuki even an Etec..... Won't see me buying another Yamaha for some time to come

My sentiments exactly……

Thought my first one was a rare case but after the second one rotted out I will never own another yammi.

Merc has been good to me and support is easy…..

My sentiments exactly……

Thought my first one was a rare case but after the second one rotted out I will never own another yammi.

Merc has been good to me and support is easy…..

I have always been a Yammi guy but I hear you loud and clear-this last deal with the rotting mid-section-a pure design flaw which should have been re-called finished me!!! I refuse to reward Yamaha for their shoddy warranty and design practise by buying another one!!

Which motor has the issue with the rotting mid section??
150 225 250?

I have always been a Yammi guy but I hear you loud and clear-this last deal with the rotting mid-section-a pure design flaw which should have been re-called finished me!!! I refuse to reward Yamaha for their shoddy warranty and design practise by buying another one!!

The first 225 hp 4 stroke from 2002/03 into the early 2006 models when they changed the coating on the metal

So what we're the suzuki's, merc's, etc like in that same era?...... 2002/2003? Are we comparing apples to apples? Much has changes in 10+ years for all manufacturers!

So what we're the suzuki's, merc's, etc like in that same era?...... 2002/2003? Are we comparing apples to apples? Much has changes in 10+ years for all manufacturers!

Well in 02-03 I blew up three Mercury's and always said if you go black you won't make it back. Now days I'd buy the Mercury. So much has changed...

Yamaha used to stand behind there product back then but when thing started going wrong they just said sorry its salt water your using our products in and this will happen. Like WTF....

Suzuki's came out with a solid main but a crappy vibrating kicking same goes today..... Not so many issues considering from what I've seen in there larger motors. Got to give them credit for that. But still not going to buy a small motor from them.

the oil is the main reason i'm sticking with 4 stroke. my 2003 90hp suzuki has never broken down. i bought it in 2004 it had been used at a lodge for (westcoast resorts milbanke) for 1/2 a season. also no signs of corrosion anywhere on it. it still runs like the day i bought it, so i am leaning towards the 115 zuke for sure now, unless i get a really good deal on a merc. there are no zuke dealers very close to where i am (north van) but the boat is on a trailer so not that big an issue. used to take it to marpole whenever i wanted the impeller changed.

Just spent a weekend on my 300 etec. Everyone complains about the oil. I put $400.00/ 260l gas in it and half gallon of oil, $25.00.
The etec full bar is quieter than my 4stroke kicker trolling
Sent from my C625a using Tapatalk

I was at lordship marine today talking to Murray and it looks like I just may go with the 115 etec. i was not expecting the price to be that much lower than a 4 stroke zuke or merc, looks like about 2,000 less. yamaha is definitely out of the picture now. thanks for all the input guys.

Back