Which kicker to chose for Campion Explorer 492?

I have the same boat. 492 with 90hp and I run an 2018 8hp yamaha on the back (I like it for the safety factor) I troll of the 90 mostly.

Nice little run around boat. As stated heavy in the rear with the 90. I think I am going to switch out the 2 seats for a flippable bench or leaning post to gain some room to move around.

Been thinking of selling this spring for something more lasquiti friendly.
Maybe a Skagit Orca😎

It’s something you make up yourself. Just has to be something to deflect water back if a wave comes over your stern.

I can’t emphasize enough about the weight in the stern. I really suggest you bag the thought of a kicker, put an anchor in your bow compartment for worst case scenarios and make sure your cell phone is charged up if you ever need to have someone tow you in. This is not a charter boat being fished in all conditions for 90 days a year.
I’m gonna vote the same on this one. I had a 16’ Hourston that used to be a sewells boat with a 40hp yam 4stroke. Think the motor was an 02 used to run it out of Indian arm to the cap troll all day long and run home. Fuel usage was next to nothing around 45L for the day. No idea how many hours were on it but must have been thousands by the end get a good battery stay on top of your maintenance and just run the main.

Should have a vhf on board tho cell phones great but the guy next to you doesn’t have your number..

I’m gonna vote the same on this one. I had a 16’ Hourston that used to be a sewells boat with a 40hp yam 4stroke. Think the motor was an 02 used to run it out of Indian arm to the cap troll all day long and run home. Fuel usage was next to nothing around 45L for the day. No idea how many hours were on it but must have been thousands by the end get a good battery stay on top of your maintenance and just run the main.

Should have a vhf on board tho cell phones great but the guy next to you doesn’t have your number..
I agree with trolling on the main in these cases too. I do personally like a aux motor on pretty much anything however. I put a 5hp single merc sail drive on my 17.2 DE and it works good. Pushes the boat to 5mph in calm seas. This motor is just as a backup so I don't mind the additional noise relative to a twin.
You have to fish a substantial amount to make the trolling hours you put on the main make a difference to life of the motor...

Back