Newbie needs advice for a Kicker

mryakker

As a newbie to boating, I recently bought a 2005 17' hourston that came with a Yamaha 90 hp 4 stroke engine, and I'd like to add a kicker. I see a lot of boats with 9.9hp kickers, but I'm wondering if it would be too much weight on the transom or if it would make the boat a little too stern heavy? How does one determine the minimum HP for a kicker? Since I can't find any specs for the boat online, I thought I'd ask for some advice. Thanks!

You'd be fine with a 6-9.9 HP kicker. Maybe go with a 8 horse 2 stroke kicker to save on weight and use it as a fail safe and troll on the 90HP.

The 90 hp can probably be throttled down slow enough for trolling in most situations - may require some additional control hardware. Now the question is if you want a kicker as a spare 'get me home' motor. Some people don't like running up hours on the main and want the kicker to do that work, but as you suspect, there are real costs beyond the purchase of the motor: weight, complexity, rigging, security (surely nothing is stolen more often in the boating world than kicker motors).

In a lot of outboard lineups, the 8 hp, 9.9 and sometimes 15 hp are all built on the same platform, rated output is determined by fuel management. Some have a slightly different lower unit, but generally they will weigh the same within a couple of pounds. Ancillary hardware hanging off that transom is more significant: that electric start, power tilt/trim unit is gonna weigh a good bit more than a simple pull start manual tilt.

If you envisage that you'll be fishing areas with fast tidal currents, you'll want the torque of an 8 hp or 9.9, but a 6 hp would mostly do it for a 17 ft hull. Actually you could probably just add a second large deep cycle and go with an electric troller for silent operation and never a risk of bad gas. Would electric get you home from out in the middle of the Strait though? Ummm no

Right now I'm thinking of it purely as a backup. Would I be better off plumbing fuel into the main tank or running a second tank? My hourston has a large aluminum tank, so I have limited space. That said I didn't even consider a 2 stroke kicker for saving weight.

In that case I would look for a 6 hp 2 stroke and run a small portable of mixed gas.
Weight about 50 lbs
Make sure you start at least once a month and use Stabil

Last edited:
Right now I'm thinking of it purely as a backup. Would I be better off plumbing fuel into the main tank or running a second tank? My hourston has a large aluminum tank, so I have limited space. That said I didn't even consider a 2 stroke kicker for saving weight.
As Scott said. Mixed gas will be needed.

As a newbie to boating, I recently bought a 2005 17' hourston that came with a Yamaha 90 hp 4 stroke engine, and I'd like to add a kicker. I see a lot of boats with 9.9hp kickers, but I'm wondering if it would be too much weight on the transom or if it would make the boat a little too stern heavy? How does one determine the minimum HP for a kicker? Since I can't find any specs for the boat online, I thought I'd ask for some advice. Thanks!

No it isn't too much weight. May need to put batteries other side. I would get the 9.9 4 stroke. If you ever have to sell it separately they tend to keep value.

Doesn't make sense to hang 100 lb kicker off the back that isn't going to be used much.
May as well lighten the load.

My 16ft double eagle I had had a Yamaha T8 high thrust on it. In fast currents loved it.

Many times I came in on kicker only. Actually kicking myself I didn't put a 15hp when I re powered.

Anyway good luck on whatever you buy....

what are your thoughts on tohatsu 2 strokes? Spec-wise they seem to be one of the lightest motors out there
Go 4 stroke 6 or 8 hp. Plumb into main tank, so much easier and you can run the kicker to save hours on your main. Crazy how many hours you put on a kicker using it for trolling. I have 100 hour on my main in 2 years and about 1000 on the kicker

Only 57 lbs for the 6 hp Tohatsu
Not sure about the dealer network
stick with the more reputable brands Yamaha is a nice kicker , Honda is a nice kicker , fuel line right from your main tank no mixing , got to have enough power to get you up the current or thru the waves , just my two cents would say get a 8 hp

I would go with an 8 or 9.9 . Anything smaller is 1 cylinder. 17 hourston very popular boat and most have kickers on them that are used for fishing. Should be able to talk with someone who actually owns one.

Have an 8hp and a 115 on my 89 17’ hourston, moved cannon balls to the opposite side and really doesn’t effect it much wouldn’t want any less power you won’t regret having the extra power trolling into the wind and tide especially if the main fails you’ll be able to make it back a lot safer.

Attachments

• 017A5DDE-CD2D-4303-B071-86F9D081434F.jpeg
    017A5DDE-CD2D-4303-B071-86F9D081434F.jpeg
    298 KB · Views: 26
Yamaha 4 stroke 8hp hi thrust can’t go wrong

tohatsu 9.9 EFI. loved mine. lower price than yamaha. Tohatsu makes kickers for many of the "name brand" makers.

Back