Which Boat?

Made by merc if you looked a smaller boats you would get a better boat for the money just a thought.

Not ideal, but given my budget...
Any thoughts on Mariners?
http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/van/boa/3259035308.html

Mariners are Mercury motors with a gray paint job. I've owned one in the past and it was a decent motor.

The price point on that trophy seems like a good deal but you really should have it surveyed before buying. An older boat like that could have hidden issues. If it's in great shape as he says then it's a good deal. No pic of the kicker but if it's a 4-stroke 9.9 that would be a bonus. That's a big boat and with twins I bet it could handle some rough seas. Also sounds like you could negotiate a lower price if the seller is leaving the country soon.

The repairs he listed on the engines are typical repairs needed after a 2-stroke has been left unused for a long period of time. The good news is that if all those repairs were actually done then the motors should be in great running condition. At a minimum you should have the compression tested and go for a sea trial to see how they run on a plane. If the compression checks out and the lower units are good those engines could last a long time.

Two strokes are also thirsty on fuel but they're lighter and easier to maintain than 4-strokes. But at this price you are better off buying 2-strokes as there is more bang for your buck. They can be just as reliable as newer motors as long as they are maintained.

As someone mentioned if you were looking at smaller boats you could get a much better condition boat with newer and more efficient engine. If I come across anything I will pm you.

Cheers

With a $15 budget I would be looking for the best boat I could find with a single 2 stroke that passes a mechanics check. While you may burn a bit more fuel, they are easier and cheaper to maintain and they are also cheaper to rebuild. Even in a worst case scenario where a 2 stroke caves after a season, so long as the block and crank are ok they are about $3k to rebuild.

The boat above that Pescador has linked to looks like it has a deposit on it by a fellow on Great Grady :

Hi Everyone,

I've put a $500 deposit down on this vessel..

http://raleigh.craigslist.org/boa/3264787388.html

What are your thoughts? It had 139hrs which is almost more concerning than it is good as I've heard low hours over a long time can do more harm than good. Also it doesn't have trim tabs.. It's been in freshwater up until 2008.
Is $18,500
a) to much
b) an 'ok' price
c) a bargain
d) awesome find and good deal.

This boat is being imported into Australia so if you know anyone who wants this trailer for $500 let me know.. Also can anyone recommend a good boat shop in or around chapel hill / Raleigh NC?

Thanks

Its probably too small anyway and no HT. To add a WMW HT to a Grady is way too costly so better to buy a used Grady with one. The Gradys are big for their overall length for example my 228 has similar feel and size to some 23-24' boats. The Grady 232 Gulfstream is a huge 23' with huge 9'3" beam and is feels bigger than some 25' - 26' boats , especially cockpit size.
A 97-98 226 or 228 with Saltwater series yami will go for about 15-19 K in eastern US which is not that different cost from a 208. A 228 is more boat for very little cost diff. A 232 with twin 2 stroke 150's .... a great boat but for 15-20K budget you'd be early nineties and motors with lots of hrs

Yup

With a $15 budget I would be looking for the best boat I could find with a single 2 stroke that passes a mechanics check. While you may burn a bit more fuel, they are easier and cheaper to maintain and they are also cheaper to rebuild. Even in a worst case scenario where a 2 stroke caves after a season, so long as the block and crank are ok they are about $3k to rebuild.

This is starting to look like the way to go.
Thanks

ive got a 25' grady with newer etecs and newer trailer for sale. pm me if you want any details! $35000 ready to fish

I' ve got a 21 ft Trophy hard top,with an Alaskan bulkhead,podded ,with a 2001 200hp evinrude ,230hrs,lots of extra's, 13750,PM me if you want more info

To the OP, your profile doesn't say where you're located, but forget looking on Vancouver Island. Great place to be selling a boat, but buyers will pay close to 20% over the street price on the mainland, and WA and OR are a bit less again.

With a budget of 15 K and a desire for a 24 - 27, You are in for a very difficult time trying to find much of anything. Your only options is stateside, unless you want a real question mark. I would look in California. Dryer weather and low humidity means that older boats with wooden stringers and/or transom are likely to be in better shape. Remember that California has a population equal to all of Canada and an extremely active boat market in a very depressed economy. This will be your best opportunity to get what you are looking for.

Back