Where we buying checker plate

Call these guys. They sometimes have material, and it's not marked up that high. Right in downtown Vic.

Metal Supermarket is severely marked up, and would avoid personally.

You could get a sheet at Wholesale from Cascadia metals, but you need a place drop/unload it.

Last edited:
Would not use checker plate personally, it’s hot in the sun very reflective and imo not the best material for the job as it can get quite slick. Make a piece from ply, pre drill your holes seal properly and finish up the same as the rest of your floor but that’s just my opinion..

Would not use checker plate personally, it’s hot in the sun very reflective and imo not the best material for the job as it can get quite slick. Make a piece from ply, pre drill your holes seal properly and finish up the same as the rest of your floor but that’s just my opinion..
I disagree with all of those points on checkerplate and it is durable as all hell
However I don’t disagree that fibreglassing a piece and matching the floor looks good as well
Guess it comes down to personal preference

I would like it to look like the rest of the floor. I hated having to cut the floor out to get at the tank. The checker plate sure is the quick and easy solution

I would like it to look like the rest of the floor. I hated having to cut the floor out to get at the tank. The checker plate sure is the quick and easy solution
I would agree, if you had an AL boat then sure.. I work in metal trades welding/fab and still wouldn’t go that route in a glass boat but again just my opinion I’d say spend the extra time and have your floor the same, bare feet on metal in the summer not for me.

Metal Supermarket would have what you need...
Those guys are rip off. I went there for 6 ft piece of square tubing it was the same price as a piece I bought from my local machine shop they are so expensive. go to any metal fab shop and they should have or cab order it for you

Those guys are rip off. I went there for 6 ft piece of square tubing it was the same price as a piece I bought from my local machine shop they are so expensive. go to any metal fab shop and they should have or cab order it for you
Yeah F that place. It's insane that people shop there.

I just bought a new welder, is there an alternative to them other than fab shops? Or do the fab shops give you a better price?
For aluminum in the Lower Mainland I couldn't beat that place off Marine and Byrne ML Building Supply. They might have moved to Delta. And then for steel I ordered from bar-zal. I'm not "in the industry" so there might be better places. @SteelyDan would know better.

ABC metal in Langley has lots of metal steel and aluminum they had checker plates there last weekend but I get most of my metal from ladner harbour machine shop in ladner great people to deal with

For aluminum in the Lower Mainland I couldn't beat that place off Marine and Byrne ML Building Supply. They might have moved to Delta. And then for steel I ordered from bar-zal. I'm not "in the industry" so there might be better places. @SteelyDan would know better.
Yep as previously stated AJF is good for full sheets. Thyssenkrupp also sells crops and full sheets.

Looking for places in South Island only guys. Found a guy an Saanichton to 225+ tax for 2 1/2 wide 6 feet long 1/4 thick. Unfortunately I have nothing to base that price on good or bad?

Back