Where to move on vancouver island?

Comox. Pretty sure that's where I want to retire to.

if it was retirement , 20 mins from boat launch, land and buildings out by stamp falls, i think it is called beaver creek rd? i got wowed!

Yes the idea of selling out of our current place would be to retire young and work as I choose to help pay for vacations or toys like Halimark has stated. Hence keeping the budget low. So many people cashing out only to buy a equally expensive place.We want to be within a really short distance to a marina and wouldn't want to be launching everytime. 500k and under was the number to be somewhat work free. A year ago that number got you alot more. That number still seems to get you pretty nice normal 2 to 3 bedroom house and the odd acerage through out the island excluding Victoria which isn't an interest. The concern is really the boy and what his life will be like. If it was up to the wife and I we would do something really out there like buy the out post in winter harbor or something. Don't think that would be to fair to the boy. Lots of good suggestions and input thanks for all the effort. We like the idea of sooke seems like good value that's really close to the fishing. It's at a high right now there but we've been watching for quite a few years and the prices really seem to go up and down there. It is a concern the restrictions dfo keeps putting on that area though. Traffic wouldn't be a concern for day to day life. Anyone Moore up there? What's it like as in long wait lists or pretty easy to get in? Anyone spend much time in ukee, think that's a poor life for a kid growing up?

If you are open to other areas maybe check out Powell river . Real estate here has gone up but is still reasonable. Salt and freshwater fishing and boating over here is awesome. The town has good sports facilities, a junior A hockey team and a lot of outdoor things to do. The marina is very nice , not very expensive and I can honestly leave work and be on the boat fishing in 15 minutes.

If you are open to other areas maybe check out Powell river . Real estate here has gone up but is still reasonable. Salt and freshwater fishing and boating over here is awesome. The town has good sports facilities, a junior A hockey team and a lot of outdoor things to do. The marina is very nice , not very expensive and I can honestly leave work and be on the boat fishing in 15 minutes.

Yes some nice places there for sale. Have been checking it out.

Suggest considering Tahsis in your search. World class fishing, great amenities and a K-12 school with an amazing outdoor program. You can have a waterfront home and buy a new boat with your budget.

Suggest considering Tahsis in your search. World class fishing, great amenities and a K-12 school with an amazing outdoor program. You can have a waterfront home and buy a new boat with your budget.

Yes my wife has checked out listings there lots. This is the type of stuff that's interesting to her. I think there was a hotel or something she was interested in. Unconventional stuff that the average person doesn't think about. Out struggle is what will be a good up bringing for the boy. Whistler is epic. So many good activities and the town layout is just awesome with the valley trail connecting all the parks and lakes. So many young families. I actually really like my job which is kind of unique and niesh. Problem is with these crazy house prices we question whether we should make a move while it's so frenzy high. Kinda like sitting on a lotto ticket provided one sells and then buys cheap. This is when something like tahsis comes into play. Anyone on here raise there kids in anyplace really remote.

Yes my wife has checked out listings there lots. This is the type of stuff that's interesting to her. I think there was a hotel or something she was interested in. Unconventional stuff that the average person doesn't think about. Out struggle is what will be a good up bringing for the boy. Whistler is epic. So many good activities and the town layout is just awesome with the valley trail connecting all the parks and lakes. So many young families. I actually really like my job which is kind of unique and niesh. Problem is with these crazy house prices we question whether we should make a move while it's so frenzy high. Kinda like sitting on a lotto ticket provided one sells and then buys cheap. This is when something like tahsis comes into play. Anyone on here raise there kids in anyplace really remote.
Super jealous of you Dave lol I'm waiting patiently for my kids (teenagers) to finish school and cash out of the lower mainland and head that way

There's plenty of people raising kids in remote locations. And plenty travelling the world with kids too. Just because it's unconventional doesn't mean you can't work to make a wonderful, experience-rich upbringing for a child. I know a family that invested their money into rental property rather than their own home, that gives them income. They rent a place at one or another of the interior ski hills for the winter and home school their kids. May-November they are on the road in their fifth wheel crisscrossing north america. They're assessing and adjusting as the kids approach high school age but they have a fantastic life and get more time with their kids than anyone else I can think of.

I could list off others I know that have various other unconventional takes on the work/travel/recreation/education balance for their family. The point is there are many, many ways to make it work for your own family if you want to pursue it. Needs to suit the personalities and likes/dislikes of each of the family members, it will be a custom solution. Don't for a moment think you couldn't create a rich childhood experience in any of our more remote communities, it would just look different to what would happen in Whistler or the city.

There's plenty of people raising kids in remote locations. And plenty travelling the world with kids too. Just because it's unconventional doesn't mean you can't work to make a wonderful, experience-rich upbringing for a child. I know a family that invested their money into rental property rather than their own home, that gives them income. They rent a place at one or another of the interior ski hills for the winter and home school their kids. May-November they are on the road in their fifth wheel crisscrossing north america. They're assessing and adjusting as the kids approach high school age but they have a fantastic life and get more time with their kids than anyone else I can think of.

I could list off others I know that have various other unconventional takes on the work/travel/recreation/education balance for their family. The point is there are many, many ways to make it work for your own family if you want to pursue it. Needs to suit the personalities and likes/dislikes of each of the family members, it will be a custom solution. Don't for a moment think you couldn't create a rich childhood experience in any of our more remote communities, it would just look different to what would happen in Whistler or the city.
X2 -- You can always change it up as your son approaches high school.

Back