Where to move on vancouver island?

I would have taken a 2.5 acre view property in Victoria for the same money! We're about an hour from airport, ferries and Victoria. Just close enough for an evening out in Victoria, better if we can find a free bed!

I've lived in Campbell river, Nanaimo , Victoria and now Powell River. If I could I would move back to the south side of Campbell river . The cost of living is still reasonable , the fishing and cruisIng in the boat is good, the access to the north island rivers for steelhead is good and you have access to gold river and the west coast. You are also about 45 mins to the top of mount Washington . There are also a ton of lakes around if you are into that. In my opinion if you like the outdoors and fishing it's the best place to be.

Spend a week or so staying in a bunch of candidate areas to see what they are like, and then narrow your search down from there. Lots of good options.

there aren't any fish in Victoria.....especially not halibut....don't go there

I'm partial to the Comox Valley. Far enough away from the crowds and grind of 'big city', good value for dollar but yet big enough for most amenities. If I could move from Alberta, that's where I would go. You have options for moorage as well. Campbell River would be a good second and Parksville third.

If you are not put off by west coast weather in the summer and won't be driving into Victoria or back during rush hour then Sooke would be a great choice. Affordable and only 40 minutes to Victoria for nights out to see entertainment and only 25 minutes to Langford for the box stores (Costco) when you want to stock up.

WELL I live in sooke and love it I dont need to go to Vic that often .... WHY everything you need is in langford and thats 15 mis away TRAFFIC sucks as soon as you get off the off ramp onto main highway and compared to Vancouver its not that bad .....there is 2 underway projects to improve the highway as for fishing there is no fish in either places thats why they keep putting us under restrictions..... and yes thats saracsim... LOL

Weather wise, don't go north of Campbell River. Most of the land south of Campbell River is owned and controlled by forest companies, restricted access. Marina spaces are readily available in Campbell River. Fishing available 12 months of the year. Calm waters on most days or places that are. Spectacular inlets to explore and fish. Excellent hunting oportunities or wild life veiwing.

Miles of logging roads and hundereds of lakes. Camping is spectacular.

The disadvantage is that we're on Vancouver Island, it rains a lot and we do get the occasional snow fall. No mosquitos or other bugs to speak of, best water there is for drinking. McIvor, Lower Campbell, Upper Campbell and Buttle lakes feed the Campbell River. Walking trails in the city and along both the Campbell and Quinsam Rivers.

1&1/2 hour driving time to ferries in Nanaimo. Look up houses for sale in CR for pricing etc.

Last edited:
yup, pros and cons to all areas for sure.

Lived in a few places on the island, im In nanaimo now, and feel like it may be the best of most worlds...

Decent sized city with amenities, Weather is good, 10 mins to ferries or planes, hour to ski hill, under an hour to Port Alberni, central to Tofino or Victoria, decent fishing and exploring locally, real estate somewhat pricey but what isn't these days...

I'm from CR. off the top. Someone mentioned Black Creek and I am in agreement this is sort of a best of both world scenario for you. You can definitely afford acreage given your budget, you are close to Campbell River fishing. kitty Coleman and pacific playground launches. On a calm day not far from grants reef. No problem with a 2359. ( can get rough in afternoon of wind picks up ) Shopping considerably better in courtenay / comox than CR. ( more of the big box type stores the wives like.) Comox much cleaner in appearance. Mount Washington is 40 minutes away and rivals whistler. ( especially their lift pass fees) the freshwater lakes and hiking around the entire area are literally endless. Wish there were more Hali kicking around tho.....

I lived in Comox for 9 yrs, and Vic for 30, agree about the rain, 40 days more and many more mm on average in CR, but they invented gore tex. My concern is with the future, all gates and access is locked on south island, due to idiots, hunting close is getting next to impossible. Campsites anywhere close that were fun are now packed and with a different type of people. CR still has mostly open gates, and trout lakes accessible. Who thinks the new exchange or bypass will fix our traffic problem??? Traffic will still be gridlock, just moved. Life's to short to wait at a green light to visit Costco, Home Depot or Wallmart. Love your sarcasm Wolf, all true now, (ssh fishing is still great, salmon and hali), was awesome 20 years ago, lots of rockfish, cod, remember breakwater red/white jigs for nighttime black bass, what happened to them all? I'm thinking now till 5-15 years out during retirement as Dmurph asked, Vic will be something different, and maybe places North will be the Vic of 5 years ago. Nice.

Now I will stop, cant have to many people wanting to move to CR or places north. Any 1-2 acre lots for sale in CR for a dream house? Looking for a quiet neighbor Dmurph?

HM

I would have to disagree with you halimark. There are still plenty of areas to hunt on the South Island. Is it a drive to lake cow or Jordan river.....you bet but roads are good and really not that far. Forestry sites you are absolutely correct about. Anyone who is trying to hit any stores on mill stream on a weekend is just asking for a headache.....but go any weekday after work and it's a breeze. I lived in cr for a dozen years, and absolutely zero chance I would move back.....comox valley, maybe. For now victoria just has way to much to offer (besides my job). In the last 7 days if one wanted they could have gone to two good concerts (I went to one), the dine around victoria launch, royals hockey games and the boat show. And it's not this week is out of the ordinary, beer fest, rib fest, brewmaster dinners, great breweries and distillers, tons of derbies.....on and on it goes. If you want something slower than Vancouver but not full stop victoria is a great little city.
My2cents,
GnB

Look at Esquimalt in Victoria. Launch at Esquimalt Anglers and you're 25 minutes by boat to Sooke or Constance Bank. 8 minute drive to downtown Vic. Best secret on the Island.

Look at Esquimalt in Victoria. Launch at Esquimalt Anglers and you're 25 minutes by boat to Sooke or Constance Bank. 8 minute drive to downtown Vic. Best secret on the Island.

No doubt Victoria has a lot to offer, but many would say there are other Island places that they love more than Victoria.
Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't this thread start with saying he had only $500,000 to spend?
if you have a decent house to sell in Victoria for that amount...let me know...I'll buy it in a heart beat.

Whatever the two of you are planning for work will likely have a big affect on your choice of where to land. If you are working remote, somewhere outside Sooke might have what you are looking for. Many great places on the island...but the larger the town/city...the further you will be from your ideal for under $500k. $500k in Jordan River/Shirley/French Beach and you can build or buy a great house. There is an elementary school on that side of Sooke too. Again, this depend if you plan to work online from home or need a local job.....which is not easy in Sooke and why many are forced to drive into Victoria. The way I look at it, is that ANY commute is unpaid time taken away from what you REALLY want to do (fishing!!) and should be a high priority in your relocation decision process! Again, knowing your work requirement would help all us bias islanders give an opinion.

And....like @pescador said, look at ESQ. You have to luck out for prices/timing because places have been selling for stupid numbers lately, but we do know people that just got a place for $450 (need a bit of work but not much). Your money won't stretch as far as many locations on the island....but I must say that I am one very happy person being 1 block from the best launch in the city. My lines can be wet withing 15min of walking out the front door. School is 2 blocks. Your guy could be in Jasper's class!

Retirement for me means work when I want more toys, bigger trips. Currently live at the far end of millstream, not sure about the after work time you state GnB. Takes me an hour from downtown to home daily, no matter the time, 4, 5, 6, less at 7 pm, lets not talk AM. Hunting past the garbage on Jordon rivers 1 open for now road, or cowichan is still a 2 hr drive, that's more than I want before I start hunting each morning on day hunts. 2 yrs ago when Butler and San Juan were open was great but idiots screwed that up. Was at IO show today, yes fun (good job guys) but traffic was again a factor. On way home family from Ont stated "this reminds me of Ont" when we hit the stopped cars on highway and McKenzie intersection at 4 pm on a Sat. Even a trip to superstore has a new meaning becauce of traffic. Not a hockey fan, don't drink much but hunt and fish the world. As Dmurph stated live and fish, raise a family, Vic may be OK now but I worry about stocks in years to come when the new hordes discover fishing at beachy, trap, Constance, border, mud hole and hunt the closed gated roads at Jordon River, Sooke, Port Renfrew and beyond?

Good news is the more people that like Vic the less busy other Island areas will be.

HM

Back