Where to go in September

RossP

So we always take the week after Labour Day off, this year September 1-8, we work with kids and that week is just crazy with all that goes on getting kids back to school. So that being said, we want to go fishing for the week, we have a 1976 Boston Whaler 15ft. with a centre console and a 40hp Mercury pulled by a 2013 F150 4X2. We were thinking some where on the Island. We will be camping out of the back of the Truck. Just the two of us and we are open to suggestions. We have only had the boat for just over a year and have been out in Vancouver Harbour and Howe Sound with it. I am very comfortable on the water having sailed the gulf islands many times and working the west coast in my younger years (read 1976-1980) as an oiler then and engineer on the boats.

September out in Sooke can still have very good fishing especially the first two weeks. The crowds dies down which is great and some big whites can still be around.. Some of my biggest springs were in that month.That would be my vote... And with you boat we are mostly an inshore fishery the weather and winds are usually not the bad. Just have to pick your day....

Pt Alberni should be great 1st week in September.
Crowds will be starting to die down.
We used to fish that week out of China Creek campsite.
Good water for a small boat.
Should be lots of Coho and Chinook.

This September Sooke for sure. With the predicted size of the Sockeye run they are likely to still be around in decent numbers until after labour day. As already said some of the biggest springs of the summer are often caught in Sooke in early September. (Sooke and Harrison stocks) Not a dig against PA but the springs in Sooke at that time are still chrome as they still haven't been milling around the river heads waters for a few weeks and darkening up.

Stick to local waters. The Sandheads last yr rivaled any Westcoast Island destination for big Chinook. And no expensive ferries...

Stick to local waters. The Sandheads last yr rivaled any Westcoast Island destination for big Chinook. And no expensive ferries...

Sand heads will be epic for sockeye this year. I picked up a nice 23 pound spring there last year too. And saved a heck of a lot on ferry boat rides.

Fraser and cap mouth off Vancouver for big chinook plus if the sox run is what they say you may be able to still pound on them too. Giddy up !

centennial campground , bamfield… the wall in sept is beauty !!

I agree with trophywife. Bamfield is a great place that time. Lots of protected water. Short runs to a lot of different hot spots and the campground has washrooms, showers, boat ramp and a place to leave the boat at the dock. Only problem check regs as the season gets on in time because last year they changed the spring limits. Another thing to consider is there is 77kms of gravel. The road was in good condition most of the season last year.

Thanks to everyone who replied. I like the sound of Bamfield now all I have to do is convince SWMBO that, that is where she wants to go. Now I will plant the seed and hopefully it will grow....

Back