Where to buy stuff on Vancouver Island

Nigels

At last we sold our house and we are moving to the Maple Bay/Duncan area, 1st August, so being very new to the area I need to learn about all the best Pubs, Restaurants, Fishing spots, tackle stores, boat parts, etc.

One thing though is a job I need to start myself when I get there is to replace the ring gear on my 4.3 Mercruiser, it's a 14 inch 168 tooth ring gear, I will also need a engine alignment tool, bell housing/upper unit gasket and some O-rings, rear crank oil seal, and other things that might come up when I am doing the job........where are the best places to shop for these items?

All advice greatly appreciated and hope to meet some of you guys on the water or at the watering hole sometime!

Monty boat sales is the one to go to around that area. Watch there prices tho. Some times they are low. Other times there prices are through the roof

The old Brig pub, now the Rampant Lion pub (Scottish theme with a couple of good Scot beers on tap) in Maple Bay has the best deck for watching the waters of Maple Bay.
Quamichan Inn for a more formal dinner.
Bucky's in Duncan for tackle and great advice on local waters. Bigger tackle selection at Cdn Tire, but no advice.
Steve at Lakes Marine (behind Thriftys) for marine fittings, or Lindstrom's at Maple Bay Marina.
The mechanical parts you'll need, I doubt if anybody in town stocks them, but you could order them in.
Coastal Outboard (Izzak has done work for me - good guy), Cowichan Outboard, Dean's, Monti's etc., or order up from Victoria/Nanaimo.

Welcome to the valley.

These guys might be able to help you in Duncan.

http://www.montisboatsales.com/services.htm

Definitely don't go there.. Horrible service and way to expensive I found myself over the years.

Go and see Jim at Malahat/Mill bay Marine and Auto parts. Jim's good and if you really don't know how to do with something that have a lot of mechanics that work on those motors coming in there say if you get stuck. I recommend Jamie South he does my motor work...Does it right in your driveway...

As for others Calvin at Bucky's for fishing gear, and Steve from Lakes marine. There is also the place in Cow Bay that has good marine parts but Bo who used to own it isn't there anymore. I hear new guy is pretty good... They often carry a lot of unique/used parts you just can't find.

Last edited by a moderator:
Definitely don't go there.. Horrible service and way to expensive I found myself over the years.

Go and see Jim at Malahat/Mill bay Marine and Auto parts. Jim's good and if you really don't know how to do with something that have a lot of mechanics that work on those motors coming in there say if you get stuck. I recommend Jamie South he does my motor work...Does it right in your driveway...

As for others Calvin at Bucky's for fishing gear, and Steve from Lakes marine. There is also the place in Cow Bay that has good marine parts but Bo who used to own it isn't there anymore. I hear new guy is pretty good... They often carry a lot of unique/used parts you just can't find.

Definitely not Montis they tried to screw me royally but in the end got the last laugh. Stay far away.

Go see Dean at Deans marine , down in the industrial park , right beside ICBC claim center ... does great work

If you are interested I have a brand new ring gear that I would sell for $100
I am in Victoria.

Cheers

I have been to Monty's quite a bit lately. I find some stuff in there is the cheapest around. Service hasn't been bad lately (for me anyway). I used to hate going there.

Lakes Marine supply is awesome. http://www.lakesmarinesupply.com .

Buckys\canadian tire \ walmart for tackle. If you ever head to Nanaimo, Gone fishin is great for tackle and of course wholesale sports.

Welcome to the valley.

Thnks, guys looking forward to moving over should be in the new house 1st August

Back