WHERE IS DFO WHEN YOU NEED THEM?

Four officers and approximately 150 square miles on the SE V.I. coastline , 12 hour days , allow 2 hours in and out time from launch , allow 25 minutes time per boat.
Look out at the fleet in being from Victoria to Shearingham Point and do the math ............... until we hire more we will not get more enforcement .............. period !

AL

Last time a saw a DFO.. Was sitting at Mcdonalds..

Do they even work weekends???

I fish on a fairly regular basis in both salt and fresh water. I haven't been approached by a fisheries officer in almost two years. As far as I am concerned there is no enforcement. Just the other day I saw a guy cleaning a fish on the beach near where I live. I walked over and said what have you caught. He said a salmon. I said a pink or coho, and he said I haven't a clue. I took a look and it was a coho. I said it's a coho, is it clipped and he just gave me a blank look. Actually it was a clipped fish, but he had no idea what he had. I said there is a head recovery programme and if you put the head in the bucket with your details on the tags provided you could win a prize. He said I'm not doing that, got in his car and left. Probably didn't even have a licence and certainly didn't know the rules. That's the sort of thing that's going on now. Makes me sick.

been stopped by DFO once in 23 years personally and that was for chum in campbell river - glanced at my fish, complained about the air pressure in my trailer tires, and that was it. You could say there was a shortage of policing!

Geez, if I was them, I'd just bring out a deckchair at any marina in any given day in September (plain clothed of course), and stalk every guy that comes up to clean his 15 lb white gummed 'spring'! That cash from fines would flow pretty quick. Go from marina to marina each day, would be stupid how much money you bring in. The 'idiots' would eventually get the point. 1 guy, devote 2 weeks to going around daily to each marina in Sooke/Victoria and repeat once you have done them all. Is it that hard? Makes more sense then playing cat and mouse on the ocean.

Good onya Smiley...I have called DFO 4 times allready and have given the operator the information and still havent had a reply, but if we all started calling the 24 hour report line.....1-800-456-4436
DFO might start to take us seriously....
Imagine DFO showing up at the Nitnat and tiketing the snaggers etc...might just send the CORRECT MESSAGE....

Hootey- Have you INSISTED on a callback???? And have you followed up if you didnt get one??
(Like asking the secretary in the office you called what the RDGs direct line is????)
If you dont ask-- you wont get.

Intruder2-2.jpg

20ft Alumaweld Intruder

hey cubra...
spoke to the same guy , he really didnt seem too interested actually thinking about it all he really was concerned was with getting my name and getting off the phone[?][?][?][?] Am heading out to Nitnat on wednesday after being thoughorly disgusted with the SNAG SHOW on the mouth of the San Juan today at Renfrew,,,,,:(

DFO not to be seen[?] And why would they stop a person that was not doing anything wrong[?] And to take someones picture[?] I do think the DFO does do a good job for the amount of area protected. Here is a situation what would you do. I was on the --------- River yesterday and there was some sort of discussion going on over a fish, if snagged and what type with a person on shore and a person fishing and you know it could have gotten serious if the person on shore had not backed off, this would have been a good time for the DFO to be watching.

Fire-Ex

quote:Originally posted by HOOTEY

hey cubra...
spoke to the same guy , he really didnt seem too interested actually thinking about it all he really was concerned was with getting my name and getting off the phone[?][?][?][?] Am heading out to Nitnat on wednesday after being thoughorly disgusted with the SNAG SHOW on the mouth of the San Juan today at Renfrew,,,,,:(
You think Renny is bad, you will die when you see what happens at Nitty!

Back