When they say you don't have to bleed right away

Video I watched said you need the entrails intact for backpressure.
So just clean out the old Roundup sprayer good?
I have a friend that cuts the tail and hold the hose on the kidney bones like the show around the 2:45 part. Clean the blood right to the tail where you cut it off

i use the sharphooks method but do remove the head as we are living on the boat dor days and even with a half size commercial tote on deck ice and space can be at a premium, packing the belly with salt ice and icing the space between cooler walls and each fish cannot be underestimated as important.

For salmon, I net, remove the hook, bonk ,slit, gills and point it into aft scupper of deck. I don't have time to pressure bleed, the bite is on. once the rods are back in the water or as soon as I have time, they go into the fish hold on ice. I have only been guided twice and both times the guides didn't want to bleed the fish right away and left them until the trip was over. Learned my lesson when I ate those fish. Bleeccchhhh.

I have eaten properly bled fish that were also properly vacuumed sealed as long as 18 months after catch and they were still fine. Care of your catch is so important.

Waterwolf
I used quick connect garden hose fittings, and found a couple of old ball point pens that fit into the end. This is what the guy who showed me had done. I'm sure there are better ideas on you tube/google how to make a pressure bleeder.
You need to be able to reduce the water pressure, so my quick connectors go into a plastic valve that the quick connect fits into.
Hope this helps
Good luck
Stosh

My buddy made one out of a air nozzle gun. There cheap KMS tools or Princess Auto
OTC-Air-Blow-Gun.jpg

I have a spray pump on board (just pulls saltwater) with a quick connect so this should be easy. Does it work as well on Ling?

if the fillets are cold but still a bit of blood they can be run skin side down on an edge hanging the filet while giving a light rinse with salt water. you can watch the blood come out of the filet, preventing a pic like the poster.

If you keep a pot of water handy, when you're not busy you can vacuum seal fillets right on the boat. You just submerge the zip lock bag in water with the opening exposed, close most of the seal, squeeze out the tiny bit of air left at the top and then finish sealing and drop it in the cooler. There is absolutely no way to have fresher salmon, and a seasoned fisherman can do 4 salmon in around 7-8 minutes, especially with a proper cleaning table and washdown pump.
I absolutely agree that immediately bleeding fish is the single most important thing you can do to get great quality fillets, followed by getting them cold fast. If you can get them vacuum sealed in a zip lock quick that's just yet another thing that can increase quality.

If you keep a pot of water handy, when you're not busy you can vacuum seal fillets right on the boat. You just submerge the zip lock bag in water with the opening exposed, close most of the seal, squeeze out the tiny bit of air left at the top and then finish sealing and drop it in the cooler. There is absolutely no way to have fresher salmon, and a seasoned fisherman can do 4 salmon in around 7-8 minutes, especially with a proper cleaning table and washdown pump.
I absolutely agree that immediately bleeding fish is the single most important thing you can do to get great quality fillets, followed by getting them cold fast. If you can get them vacuum sealed in a zip lock quick that's just yet another thing that can increase quality.
Thats all fine till the CO comes by. You are supposed to be able to prove the species and size of your catch when questioned. Technically you are not even supposed to fillet at the dock and keep at least the tail on until you get home. not that any one does. But I sure would keep the fish intact on the water.

Thats all fine till the CO comes by. You are supposed to be able to prove the species and size of your catch when questioned. Technically you are not even supposed to fillet at the dock and keep at least the tail on until you get home. not that any one does. But I sure would keep the fish intact on the water.
I find many Chinook are clearly large enough, with a tail on filet of around 62cm, and clearly labelled packages.
I haven't had an issue yet

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/salmon-saumon-eng.html

CLEARLY states on how or what your allowed to do.

I will say however leaving water in exposed filleted fish for a anytime with out it going into freezer right away will saturate the fish turning it into a mushy product best to do the above method at home then right into freezer.
I filet and cut into half all my clients fish with tail on DFO has seen it many a time.
YOU WILL get busted if they see you cutting into 1 or 2 lb chunks at dock with no fins or tail on it and stuffing it into ziplocks .

And bleed all fish and flush them get that slime off as much as possible the price of going out and gear etc respect the fish you get and care for it properly.

IT astounds me when I see a guy flop a fish on the table after its been sitting in a fish box uncovered in the sun not cared for.

Good luck wolf

Back