When the fog clears

I'm a bit confused about how changing tides affects you running aground on a log boom which moves WITH the tide.

We were nearly run down in fog, by a Princess charter boat, while fishing on LaPerouse Bank. We had a reflector mounted high, as well. The skipper had "looked away for a minute". 20 faces looked down in shame. Tips should have been poor, that day.

Last edited:
colregs rule 5 states: Every vessel shall at all times maintain a proper lookout by sight and hearing as well as by all available means appropriate to the prevailing circumstances and conditions so as to make a full appraisal of the situation and of the risk of collision.

colregs rule 5 states: Every vessel shall at all times maintain a proper lookout by sight and hearing as well as by all available means appropriate to the prevailing circumstances and conditions so as to make a full appraisal of the situation and of the risk of collision.
Was that the one I got wrong on my PCOC test? 😂

Seen a few boats operating at speed in fog
Electronics are nice but as we can see operating according to conditions might seem prudent
That’s one hell of a park job

Maybe was trying to save fuel and get a free ride ?

Seen a few boats operating at speed in fog
Electronics are nice but as we can see operating according to conditions might seem prudent
That’s one hell of a park job

Maybe was trying to save fuel and get a free ride ?
I Like the guys running full speed in the fog with there head down looking at their GPS.

Radar don’t pickup log booms and doin 30 mph in fog‘s a bad idea. Where he landed didn’t happen at 5 mph. Coming up the Fraser in fog I’ve seen this exact accident twice last year.

I Like the guys running full speed in the fog with there head down looking at their GPS.
Close call in port renfrew one time from this. Its spooky when you can hear them coming but can’t see them til they blast past you 50-60 feet away. Radar reflector mandatory on all our boats

When I was commercial fishing there were a few guys who had radar but seldom bothered to turn it on and look at it. They would proudly say, "I let the other guys look out for me". This is especially problematic when tuna fishing and the combined speed of two approaching vessels is 12 knots. You cover alot of ground at 12 knots.
I am sure there are some guys running around at 30mph with the same attitude.

Close call in port renfrew one time from this. Its spooky when you can hear them coming but can’t see them til they blast past you 50-60 feet away. Radar reflector mandatory on all our boats
That's my point Clint, most don't have radar and have there eyes on the GPS instead of out the window. Radar reflectors are only good if the other guy has radar. I hear you though , it's almost worse when you have radar and see them coming and have to stop and they go by you and don't look up from the gps. I can't count how many times this has happened to me at Telegraph

That's my point Clint, most don't have radar and have there eyes on the GPS instead of out the window. Radar reflectors are only good if the other guy has radar. I hear you though , it's almost worse when you have radar and see them coming and have to stop and they go by you and don't look up from the gps. I can't count how many times this has happened to me at Telegraph

How about picking up kayakers on radar out in the fog around that area, shaking my head thinking about that!

Back