What's your MPG?

Just topped the boat off with 500 Litres of fuel. Finally did a rough calculation of my MPG and came up with about 1.5. Is that any good? I wasn't accounting for the back and forth from the fishing grounds and the moving about. I think it was a trip to Deep Cove, a trip to Gambier and my entire trip to Egmont. That was running 28MPH the whole time with a 15000lb boat. I'm actually not sure I was filled it right up when I last got fuel. I'm trying to be super conservative here.
Miles as in nautical miles? Gallons as in US gallons?

With, my 1996 20ft Ocean Pro, fully fueled and all gear and 2 hefty fisherman, I'm about 3200 lbs
I have a 1996 2 stroke 200HP Ocean Pro that wines everytime we are within 20 miles of a gas dock.
At 4200 RPMS , doing 33 MPH, Shes sucking .. Hold on to your fishen rodes ...my MNMEA2000 is telling me shes suckin 13 GPH ....NOW YOU ALL KNOW HOW HAPPY AND RICHER I'll be when I put the New 200 hp merc on this winter
Hell I wont even be bitchin about the price of gas for a year or so Haha

206 Double Eagle with 2003 F225 Yamaha.
4600lbs 3/4 loaded. 3mpg (us gallons) when the sea is reasonably flat. That’s about as good as it gets. - 25-30mph and 3800-4200rpm.

Great thread. One thing to watch out for -- guages in gallons may be showing those tiny US gallons [it takes 1.2 US gallons to make an imperial gallon]. Pacific Yachting's mpg figures are in US units - so multiply them by 1.2.

So my 23 Hourston with D3-200 hp Volvo duoprop diesel weighs about 6500 lbs wet. At 3300 rpm, I cruise at 27 mph, and burn 7 US gallons per hour [5.8 Imperial gallons]. If I'm doing my arithmetic right, I get 27/5.8 = 4.6 mpg [imperial] or 3.9 in US units.

I love diesel. My old V8 gas engine burned at least 50% more.
And diesel is cheaper.

My gauges show about 2.4mpg, US G I’m guessing, but that is under reporting as my gps was showing 1-2mph faster speeds. 25.5 C-Dory 2 guys, 2 boys and a bunch of fish, 6500lbs maybe, running 20mph in some pretty crappy conditionsp
New boat testing vs real world shows the effect of having too much stuff on board. Supposed to be hitting 3.7mpg, I think extra weight is the biggest drag on efficiency. Maybe I didn’t need the extra downrigger, cannonballs, 100lb halibut gear on this last trip!

With, my 1996 20ft Ocean Pro, fully fueled and all gear and 2 hefty fisherman, I'm about 3200 lbs
I have a 1996 2 stroke 200HP Ocean Pro that wines everytime we are within 20 miles of a gas dock.
At 4200 RPMS , doing 33 MPH, Shes sucking .. Hold on to your fishen rodes ...my MNMEA2000 is telling me shes suckin 13 GPH ....NOW YOU ALL KNOW HOW HAPPY AND RICHER I'll be when I put the New 200 hp merc on this winter
Hell I wont even be bitchin about the price of gas for a year or so Haha
By all accounts 2.5MPG is not bad for that old 2 stroke. With the increase in gas prices, you might manage to break even!

That’s outstanding! What rpms are you running at above, what’s your approximate loaded weight and what prop are you using? I know it’s a lot of questions but I’m curious what it takes to get that kind of efficiency. (Besides just running a 23 Hourston that is)
Prop is 16 inch 18.5 pitch stainless
Just myself in the boat with what you see for fuel
I keep things pretty light gear wise .. boat is around 6500 ish
Can’t remember rpm which doesn’t help ya much
Water was flat

Back