What's your MPG?

Ideal flat calm up at Nootka inside last week. 2 pax, 1/4 tank of fuel, all my gear on board. Dialled back on the rpm to about 3600. 23 ft Grady with a 2019 Yamaha F250. Somebody on this site told me that new Yam F250’s weren’t more fuel efficient that an old 2003 F225. They were wrong. This new motor burns 10-20 % less fuel. With more torque.

View attachment 68476
Seafarer?? Staying at moutcha?

Seafarer. But stayed at Critter. Dropped fish at St Jeans tho at Moutcha on last day.
I like you fuel numbers, I ran moutcha bay to the whistle bouy 5 times and got around 2.3 mpg with my seafarer and 2005 f225. I could have slowed up, but with my new 17 pitch prop I have to carry a bit more speed. Seems I should settle on 16 pitch, 15 was to low, 17 is ok if I run light but not for fishing days.

My great numbers around Stuart Channel and surrounding home waters went for a $h!t when I cruised up to Savary Island on Monday with a stiff following sea. No more than low twenties for speed with motor trimmed in to prevent slamming and a bit of tabs helping out. Save the body, save the boat kind of trip which was manageable if not ideal.
At least it wasn’t in my face like the trip I did two years ago which repeatedly buried the bow at 12 mph

I like you fuel numbers, I ran moutcha bay to the whistle bouy 5 times and got around 2.3 mpg with my seafarer and 2005 f225. I could have slowed up, but with my new 17 pitch prop I have to carry a bit more speed. Seems I should settle on 16 pitch, 15 was to low, 17 is ok if I run light but not for fishing daysI am in the market for a prop for my Seafare with an

I am in the market for a prop for my Seafare with an 2004 F225. What prop did you get and what kind of performance numbers are you getting?

Thanks

I like you fuel numbers, I ran moutcha bay to the whistle bouy 5 times and got around 2.3 mpg with my seafarer and 2005 f225. I could have slowed up, but with my new 17 pitch prop I have to carry a bit more speed. Seems I should settle on 16 pitch, 15 was to low, 17 is ok if I run light but not for fishing days.
I run a 3 blade 17 if I remember correct. My old 2003 F225 needed 4200 rpm to really stay on plane. The new F250 is on step at 3700 and with a load 3800 same prop. Not sure but they sales guy told me the gearing is a bit different. It just burns less fuel. And that’s a good thing.

I run a 3 blade 17 if I remember correct. My old 2003 F225 needed 4200 rpm to really stay on plane. The new F250 is on step at 3700 and with a load 3800 same prop. Not sure but they sales guy told me the gearing is a bit different. It just burns less fuel. And that’s a good thing.
Ya the new 4.2l engines are geared higher than the old 3.3l engines. Saved a bunch of people money on props!

These things happen, it's amazing how much stuff fits in a boat. We ran from Campbell river to Mcneil today. Avg was around 3-3.1 best was 3.4ish around 31-34mph cruise. We used 32 us gal traveled 100 miles. Easy math, 3.125 MPG. I've got her loaded right up. holding just over 340L of fuel and enough goodies (beer, food tackle ice) for 10 days.

At least the ride quality is fantastic when they are heavy.
Pretty damn good

20‘ Hewescraft Searunner 200ET w/ 150hp Honda.
Cruise at 4000rpm at 24.5 knots and get 6.1mpg or 4gph. 4500rpm @ 28.5 knots gets 5.7mpg or 5gph

Weldcraft 260 Cuddy King LOA 30.5' with twin 225 Verados, 75% full fuel tank approx 340 liters, fishermen and gear etc. totals around 8500 lbs

On my last couple trips I re set my Smartcraft gauges to see if they calculated the fuel economy evenly between the two trips with the same load in the boat, same approx wind/water conditions and same distance of trip on cruise and on troll. Both trips were very much the same when the numbers were calculated out. I've done this before and always come up pretty close with my numbers but some factors always come into play a bit like tide/current, wind/water conditions etc affecting the boats fuel economy.

My best cruise numbers range from 1.6 to 1.8 MPG @ 3800-4000 RPM @ 24 to 26 knots ( 28-30 mph) When the water/wind conditions aren't as favorable I can see numbers around the 1.5 mpg range. On rare occations with **** on a plate water conditions and a tail wind and lighter load I've seen the gauges hit 2 mpg at the same cruise and rpm but that's very uncommon conditions on our coast of course.

ETEC 130 on a glass Lund 19 runabout delivers 4.0-4.2 mpg anywhere in the 25-32 mph range. Cruising at a lazy 4000 rpm gives 25.5 mph and 6 gph fuel burn. Using plain 17P 3 blade Evinrude aluminum prop. WOT is 39.5 mph @ 5500 rpm with fishing gear, full tanks and 2 adults. Running solo and with stand-up canopy rolled up it can be coaxed out to 41.5 mph.

Previous power on this hull was early 90s Merc 150, best fuel burn at cruise was 3.0 mpg. The Etec has so much more torque yet it's cleaner, quieter and less thirsty.

Back