What's with the clipped coho?

That's an interesting observation. Maybe the ocean survival conditions have improved??

I think it is very time and place dependent, last weekend we could only get wilds off Nanaimo. I haven't heard about any major changes in hatchery clipping practices but it sure would be nice if true!

Being that they were released during the Covid crackdowns I would be surprised if more got clipped.

There were a couple people years ago who got fired from the qualicum hatchery for not clipping coho, thinking they were saving the species.... maybe this has had an effect. Does anyone else know this story?

Hatchery raised fish tend to travel in schools. When i fished offshore of Tofino we would get waves of them where every coho would be clipped for 20-30 mins them they were gone or more unclipped would be in the mix

Over the last couple weeks off Nanaimo I'd probably say the ratio clipped to unclipped is close to 50/50. The wild fish are definitely bigger though around 6 pounds compared to the 3 pound hatchery.

I noticed more clipped last fall in sooke. Could it be the USA hatcheries? They use a machine that clips all the fish (as I saw on the news).

Washington state Coho…. They use an automated machine that gets 90%
Some of the fish are missing on part of their fin which is consistent with an automated clipper not getting the “whole” fin
Even using scissors by hand you end up with half removed or incomplete removal…

Back