whats the report on evenrude e tecs?

Yhe Rep even told me if your Etec runs dry it will power down to 1500RPM and run for over 5 hours with NO OIL!

they actually have a small reserve in the powerhead that holds oil and thats what they will run on. at those speeds as you probably know they burn next to no oil (equally due to very low fuel consumption and a high mix ratio) so it lasts.

Great motors! enjoy em.

thanks for the compliments and support guys. I really have no idea how this hull will perform at any speed. I know they were designed for big Great Lakes water, so I don't doubt its seaworthiness, but as far as its rebirth as a raceboat lol I have no clue what to expect!

John, didn't you say something about 65 mph???

thanks for the compliments and support guys. I really have no idea how this hull will perform at any speed. I know they were designed for big Great Lakes water, so I don't doubt its seaworthiness, but as far as its rebirth as a raceboat lol I have no clue what to expect!

John, didn't you say something about 65 mph???

I might have............

My guess will be 57mph WOT...but like the guys said have fun getting there LOL! you will have handeling issues way before that speed, the hull is simply not designed for that...it is a scary feeling, and will throw you from your helm faster then you can blink...can wind up being pretty painful...

still cool though!!!haha and I understand the purpose is power when you need it, not neccessarily top speed and I completley agree with that...especially for the offshore use you plan on

I understand the purpose is power when you need it, not neccessarily top speed and I completley agree with that...especially for the offshore use you plan on

That is where it is needed. Not the the top end on a perfectly flat day with no current or wind chop, like we are all pointing out. Good post CZ. Nick will need that power with 3 or 4 guy's on board with a deck full of cooler's loaded with albacore, fighting an offshore swell or tide.

The other part is interesting and fun however.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ya top end will be spooky but yes, all that power is meant for climbing those big offshore mountains of water should I need that extra push :) But being a stickler for fuel I don't see WOT happening too often, because that's where fuel economy falls WAY off for this motor, burning I believe 25-28 gallons per hour WOT. lol

I have always believed in having more power as you can't reach for it if you don't have it. Learn how to manage it and you will love it.

Just wondering -what is the intial cost of say a 300 e-tec vs a yamaha 300 4 stroke. I believe they have a better warrenty and I think are lighter. What's the downside for powering a heavy boat like a 24ft xlch Orca. Don't want to hi-jack the thread and get into a 2 stroke 4 stroke debate but if I switched to a 300 e-tec vs 300 Yammi what are the pro's and cons while I have the e-tec guys looking?

The only "Pro" I found when researching a 4 stroke compared to the E-Tec was personal preference. There was no definitive option or spec that made one for stroke better than the other I found. The Yamaha guys loved their Yamaha's, Zuke guys love their Suzuki's.

" Self winterizing, low maintenance (every 300hrs, but no oil changes, pretty much plugs and joint lube), less parts, more torque, more amps, gear driven alternator, less emissions, quiter at idle, comparable fuel economy (to 4 strokes), lighter, faster....."

As someone mentioned though, it would be great to see a comparison of the other MFG's 2 strokes vs. the ETEC.

Here's a great feature...winterizing in 45 seconds

[PvNBF8Az0ic] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvNBF8Az0ic

Just wondering -what is the intial cost of say a 300 e-tec vs a yamaha 300 4 stroke. I believe they have a better warrenty and I think are lighter. What's the downside for powering a heavy boat like a 24ft xlch Orca. Don't want to hi-jack the thread and get into a 2 stroke 4 stroke debate but if I switched to a 300 e-tec vs 300 Yammi what are the pro's and cons while I have the e-tec guys looking?

Not sure the cost of the 300 but for the 225s Evinrude has a big savings.

2013 Evirude 225 incuding all rigging, prop, controls, cables, gauges is $19,250 with a 5-year warrantee.

2013 Yamaha 4.2l 225 bare bones is listed at $24,422. Then add another 1200 bucks if you need controls, cables and prop. This is list price but you may be able to negotiate for less.

Additionally the Yamaha dealer service is more frequent and expensive. And the whole "2-stroke oil costs extra" is nearly eliminated when you factor in the oil and filter replacement schedule for the 4-stroke.

EDIT: These are quoted Canadian prices, USA prices are lower.

A big THANK YOU has to be given to TRENDSETTER. Aside from knowing a ton about these 2 stroke motors, he's actually the guy that found the great deal I got on my motor. Without him it's doubtful I would be in my current position with this new motor.

Kudos to you my friend. Your find will surely be rewarded with time at the throttle.

Thank you!!

A big THANK YOU has to be given to TRENDSETTER. Aside from knowing a ton about these 2 stroke motors, he's actually the guy that found the great deal I got on my motor. Without him it's doubtful I would be in my current position with this new motor.

Kudos to you my friend. Your find will surely be rewarded with time at the throttle.

Thank you!!

Hey no problem. I look forward to seeing this beast in action.

Wow, that thing is going to be quick. Sip your coffee at the dock and watch the boats leave, and then still be the first boat with gear down lol... Should be fun!

Twin 250 e-tecs 2007's 330+ hrs no major issues, not changed plugs yet but have serviced the gearcases. Replaced one shift rod seal. Buy my oil bulk and save around $8.00 gal. Very pleased with overall performance.

Where are you buying your bulk XD100 and for how much?

Dealer said I can get a 16 gallon barrel for about $32 per gallon...

Seems to me that is about what I paid at Martin Motor Sports in Edmonton, around $600. with tax. Buying individual gallons about $43. before taxes.

Where are you buying your bulk XD100 and for how much?

Dealer said I can get a 16 gallon barrel for about $32 per gallon...

Back