What's the deal with idiots driving so close to fishing vessels?

I was out at the green can a couple weeks ago, literally the only boat there. Had one of our regular members do a 30mph flyby 50' away twice in the space of half an hour. Pretty lame

whale watching boats, cant wait for the season to pick up, last weekend polier, guy steers towards shore on way up island. then jams right through the fleet of trollers. 4-6 footers, hang on honey this isnt good. all he had to do was steer the other direction and go around.....

Yeah, you're always responsible for damage or injury caused by your wake, but it's hard to teach common sense etiquette to some of these fly by donkeys....

happens all the time in renny,morons run the beach all the way in the middle of the pack instead of going around,cant fix stupid period,back in the day there would of been a lot of knuckle sandwish handed out at the docks.

hence fitted my boat with a nice set of air horns and i don't mind one bit giving someone an earful .....

if i think where getting to close to each other......

Yeah, you're always responsible for damage or injury caused by your wake, but it's hard to teach common sense etiquette to some of these fly by donkeys....

Don't get me started on the morons in the 35' planing hull party barges dusting by you at half throttle, throwing a massive wake. You're not doing us any favours by slowing down! We couldn't get you out of our fishing spot fast enough!

Come to sooke and see the guys weaving in between the guys fishing or running the shoreline at otter pt waking the kayaks and small tin boats in stead of going around everyone like they should .... or my favorite roar up past you then stop in front of you then tie some gear or set up rods etc just sitting there without boat in gear.

"COMMON SENSE IS A SUPER POWER"

Come to sooke and see the guys weaving in between the guys fishing or running the shoreline at otter pt waking the kayaks and small tin boats in stead of going around everyone like they should .... or my favorite roar up past you then stop in front of you then tie some gear or set up rods etc just sitting there without boat in gear.

"COMMON SENSE IS A SUPER POWER"
Amen

Please be kind and try to forgive the idiots that get too close. They have a different level of common sense. Unfortunately
they have always been there and more than likely always will.
Can't fix stupid
Stosh

I see a certain situation come up all of the time.
I'm heading north, trolling. A different vessel is heading east, trolling towards my Port (red) side.
I'm not sure why, but so many people's instinct in this situation is to veer slightly left, increasing the likelihood of a collision.
If you see a boats Port side, from a distance, just veer right and you'll pass safely behind them. As long as you don't pass stupidly close (like 50') you're not going to mess with their gear.
I spend a lot of time getting out of the way of people when I have the right of way, and typically there is an easy way, if you work together and act early.
It's people with a weird sense of entitlement who always make it difficult, deciding which way "everyone - typically 3 out of 12 boats" is going. And these same people typically ignore contours, simply driving straight when the feature it's doing an interesting bend, pocketing fish. So many times I'm starting at their green side, not changing course or speed, glaring and making the whole process miserable for everybody involved.
Work together, don't just look at it from your own point of view, and act early. If I see someone overtaking me, and they're pinned between me and shallow water, I make room for them,I only have to nudge my steering. I could be pushy with my right of way, but what's the point in that? I'm out there for fun.
Life is much simpler that way.

Last edited:
I see a certain situation come up all of the time.
I'm heading north, trolling. A different vessel is heading east, trolling towards my Port (red) side.
I'm not sure why, but so many people's instinct in this situation is to veer slightly left, increasing the likelihood of a collision.
If you see a boats Port side, from a distance, just veer right and you'll pass safely behind them. As long as you don't pass stupidly close (like 50') you're not going to mess with their gear.
I spend a lot of time getting out of the way of people when I have the right of way, and typically there is an easy way, if you work together and act early.
It's people with a weird sense of entitlement who always make it difficult, deciding which way "everyone - typically 3 out of 12 boats" is going. And these same people typically ignore contours, simply driving straight when the feature it's doing an interesting bend, pocketing fish. So many times I'm starting at their green side, not changing course or speed, glaring and making the whole process miserable for everybody involved.
Work together, don't just look at it from your own point of view, and act early. If I see someone overtaking me, and they're pinned between me and shallow water, I make room for them,I only have to nudge my steering. I could be pushy with my right of way, but what's the point in that? I'm out there for fun.
Life is much simpler that way.

not sure if this works with right shoulder to shore has right of way,, when it comes to trolling a shoreline..

not sure if this works with right shoulder to shore has right of way,, when it comes to trolling a shoreline..
That's a great agreement to make among friends, but you can't expect strangers to agree.
The collision regulations are the rules.
Especially when right rod to rocks is going against the current

We had the same thing happen with a sail boat however this guy steered straight at us.
we were the only boat in the area and the dork made a beeline for us.
I had to do a 180 deg turn at the last second to avoid a collision while he barked that he had right of way.
at some point common sense should prevail ??

Scott we had a similar incident with an entitled twit driving a larger sailboat. It was a little bumpy and windy and this sailboat was moving fast. We were one of a large number of sport boats fishing in a tight pack in the Possession Point area.

Contrary to the myth there are circumstances where a sailboat is far more maneuverable than a sport boat with gear down. The fleet was very tightly packed and fishing in a east to west and west to east to direction when the sailboat twit drives his boat into the flank of the fleet at speed does a tac and crosses back through it again. It was like a shark going through a school of fish.

There were very few options for the sport boats. You could not turn to port or starboard as you would be running into other sport boats or there gear and if you stop the current will grab you and push you into the path of other boats or gear and there are boats coming up your stern. Once the sport fleet gets out of sinc. it could end up like a multi car accident on a freeway in the fog. There was no reason for that sailboat to come anywhere near the tightly packed sport fleet with their gear down but he’s a sailboat and can do what he wants.

Last edited:
Scott we had a similar incident with an entitled twit driving a larger sailboat. It was a little bumpy and windy and this sailboat was moving fast. We were one of a large number of sport boats fishing in a tight pack in the Possession Point area.

Contrary to the myth there are circumstances where a sailboat is far more maneuverable than a sport boat with gear down. The fleet was very tightly packed and fishing in a east to west and west to east to direction when the sailboat twit drives his boat into the flank of the fleet at speed does a tac and crosses back through it again. It was like a shark going through a school of fish.

There were very few options for the sport boats. You could not turn to port or starboard as you would be running into other sport boats or there gear and if you stop the current will grab you and push you into the path of other boats or gear and there are boats coming up your stern. Once the sport fleet gets out of sinc. it could end up like a multi car accident on a freeway in the fog. There was no reason for that sailboat to come anywhere near the tightly packed sport fleet with their gear down but he’s a sailboat and can do what he wants.
any overtaking vessel ,including sail, is the give way vessel .
beemer

The "Luna Sea" or Luna Star or whatever it's called is the last one to get me. Buzzed us 30-40 yards away doing 12-15 kts basically pushing out max wake with a full deck of "jiggers" off Thrasher.

Seems like the close to rock mentality is also throughout the island. Last week was fishing off Duval up in Hardy when an idiot buzzes my buddy and some other boats yards away. I mean he was super close going like 25knots or so, and water was dead calm. He runs right through everyone fishing close in, and didn't even slow down.

He wasn't even fishing the area just on his way up North. I just don't understand why its hard to go around the fleet on the points. Takes a few seconds to go around.

whale watching boats, cant wait for the season to pick up, last weekend polier, guy steers towards shore on way up island. then jams right through the fleet of trollers. 4-6 footers, hang on honey this isnt good. all he had to do was steer the other direction and go around.....
Hate those guys, wish fishermen would quit giving them info when they come on the radio. They really are not good for the whales or us.

Hate those guys, wish fishermen would quit giving them info when they come on the radio. They really are not good for the whales or us.

Not all are bad. I called one in last year after they nearly swamped out a family in small tinny out in east sooke. He lit his motors up very close and it was unsafe. The captain apologized and company took responsibility. If you don't say anything they don't get message

Back