What's for dinner tonight ?

Halibut in Green Thai Curry
IMGP3754_zpsbnlcjxcg.jpg

Halibut Pakoras-first time I've ever done them and probably the last they taste great but too much work prepping/cooking/cleaning afterward.

IMGP3757_zps9b9qukdw.jpg

IMGP3758_zps1gmyxyxs.jpg

IMGP3759_zpseqltjudp.jpg

Fresh oven roasted halibut (unfortunately not caught by me but brought from a buddy on WCVI)....done with an heirloom tomato and other small tomatoes /basil/oregano sauce. Roasted beets, roasted broccoli with brown rice.

One of my favourite ways to cook FRESH white fish. ;)

image.jpeg

That looks great and healthy Scott! I only have a couple of meals left from last year and I'm almost ready to head out and try to get some for this year. Thanks for posting that. My wife loves tomatoes and she will like that one for sure :). Do you have the recipe for the sauce that you could share?

My wife loves tomatoes and she will like that one for sure :). Do you have the recipe for the sauce that you could share?

Hey John....it's a pretty simple recipe and amounts will obviously vary based on how much sauce you need.

Sauté onions and garlic in a medium/high heat pan with olive oil; you want a bit more olive oil than just a skim coating on the bottom of the pan as the oil will make up part of the liquid in the sauce. I start with the onions for a couple of minutes tops then add the garlic so it doesn't burn. About a minute after the garlic I add a splash of white wine and then the tomatoes. I have used regular sized tomatoes cut up but we almost always use cherry, grape, small heirlooms or like yesterday it was a bit of a mix. Small tomatoes go in whole....and you just continue to sauté until they burst. You don't want to cook them totally down but as they heat for a bit you'll hear a bit of a 'pop' as the burst. I press them down as they burst to allow the juice into the sauce. You want to ensure you reduce it down a bit once they burst so the sauce isn't too watery.

Pretty simple from this point....I add chopped basil and oregano right at the end with a small nub of butter (helps thicken the sauce a bit). In saying that....any fresh green herb will work as some people don't like basil. I then season with salt and pepper and the sauce is done.

It's a good one....pretty simple and fresh tasting; the basil adds a good flavour to it.

Looks yummy! Recipe please. Just got back from an Interior Lake fish out and chilli was my go to food two out of three nights. It really can't be topped on a windy, cold or rainy day meal. Total protein hit too for those of us trying to shed a few pounds with fewer carbs

makes about 12 quarts (a lot)
2 large potato's-+2 onion's- diced
1 red pepper+1 green pepper +2 jalepeno's-diced
3 stalks celery --diced
1 carrot-diced + 2 cups frozen corn
6 large mushrooms chopped
3 lbs of home smoked pork/ beef/venison or 3 lbs hamburger(use liquid smoke) if you don't have smoked meat
1 litre chicken stock
2 litres tomato sauce
4 cans of kidney beans or combinations of beans-i.e. black beans. You could also pan this out a bit more with another 1 or 2 cans of beans-- do not drain
4 heaping tablespoons finely chopped garlic (from a Jar)-more if you wish -to taste
1 large can of chopped tomatoes
Seasoning-hot chili powder, smoked paprika-cumin, cayenne, black pepper. Note : do not add salt unless after simmering you feel you need it. The canned beans ,tomato's and sauces have enough for most people. The predominant taste should come from the chilli powder -the rest you can decide. Watch the spice heat-- not everyone likes NUCLEAR chilli so keep it reasonable and carry bottled heat with you such as tabasco, Frank's, Cha-lula etc.
Method-gently simmer all fresh veg in chicken stock using a little water if required . When almost tender add all remaining ingredients including meat if pre-cooked and smoked. If you are using Hamburger fry it up a little so you don't have protein or cooked blood protein in your chilli. Season to taste. Reduce through gentle heat-if you want a thicker and healthier chili add up to 1/2 cup large flake oats for thickening agent.
Let totally cool and vac-pac in plastic vac bags required serving size-freeze re-heat by placing the bag in hot to boiling water-serve when hot and your boiling water is used for the dishes

image.jpeg
A couple of brined/ then Apple wood smoked chickens. A little behind schedule as it took longer than planned to get up to proper internal temps, so we are eating late.
Better late than never.

Looks just like Maritime Scrod!!!.....Yummy!!!! and almost fat free too!
We enjoyed this recipe , made it for some relatives the other day and it turned out amazing again , just make sure you have the halibut in the freezer , had to get it from costco this time .. 3 small pieces 55$

Back