what size inverter?

albernifisher

I want to install a microwave and coffee maker in my boat and am wondering what size inverter I should get? is one brand better then another?

Buy highend. These are like car amps a 1000 watt piece of crap it not as good as a 400 high end one.bigger is not always better in this case. Xantrex is a good marine brand.

Fairly big.... Just make sure you have the battery power to back that thing up..Inverter alarms are annoying

What batteries do you have available? That will determine the max capacity you can get regardless of what you want to run.

Minimum 1500 watt inverter for those appliances. Also be aware that you will need a heavy gauge wire set running from your battery to the inverter. 1500 watts is 125 amps on the 12v side so plan for a 0 gauge wire connection maybe larger depending upon distance from the battery to the inverter.

It's ok to use a modified sine wave inverter for a coffee maker or a microwave (read as cheaper inverters) just don't use it to run sensitive electronics. Canadian tire has a good selection that goes on sale frequently.

Small coffee maker will use 1200 watts, microwaves normally 1500, I would not go anything lighter than 2000 watts out put at 110 volt. Which will draw about 100 amps when brewing or cooking from your house bank of batteries. Large battery bank necessary to support that kind of draw. x2 on xantrex, outback also a good brand. Review their web sites some inverter / charging units, recommended minimum battery bank sizes, etc. etc.

don't buy motomaster or Canadian tire brands there crap , they have xantrax that do go on sale or you can go to a marine place and get a marine one. I have a 2000 in my boat I think maybe a 1000 xantrax was 80 bucks on slaw at Canadian tire and going strong for 4 years I don't run a wicrowave though.

Note that even a small microwave that is rated for 600 or 700W requires about 1200W (or more) to actually run it as: 1_ the power rating is the power of the microwaves, 2) the conversion efficiency is around 60% for a microwave 3) The start up current is a bit higher than the average draw. So with a small microwave you can get by with around a 1500W inverter but as SecretP mentions above, 2KW would be better. As mentioned above, a large inverter will require large wires and the wires get bigger the longer the run. This link - http://www.cncphotoalbum.com/doityourself/wiring/wiring.htm - provides guideline for wire size needed for a given current draw and distance. Wires for a 2KW inverter need to be quite large and good large gauge marine wiring is expensive and difficult with which to work.

1200W draws 100A at 12V. If you have a single 4D or 8D marine battery (both are big suckers), you probably have a 100-200A-Hour capacity. So for 50% discharge, you can run the 1200W inverter for 0.5 - 1 hours. On my boat, I haven't installed an inverter for these kind of high level draw. I have a diesel stove on which to cook and it draws very little current. I use a cheap 400W inverter to power a small crock pot (125W draw) which I can use to cook soup or stew. I heat up hot water either on the stove or using electricity while I'm at the dock. It keeps well in a thermos all day. Starbucks VIA instant is an OK coffee for fishing use. I didn't put a microwave on the boat as other than quick heating of liquids, they're not very useful for cooking. Instead I installed a nice toaster/convection oven that I run either off a 2KW Honda generator OR I run off of shore power when at the dock. The toaster oven allows me to bake, toast and broil and is IMHO a much better use of space than a microwave. My recommendation is that you really think hard about whether an inverter to run a microwave and a coffee maker is really the best use of space/$. It might be less money/more flexible to buy a 2KW generator. Also, you can buy 12V coffee makers that take a little more time to make coffee but which only draw 20A DC.

Another .02 af...

Since you all that room under the back deck... Run a 2 battery system but with 2 6v golf cart batteries for the house and another for the crank.

P.S. Can you get a 100A alternator for an OB?

The question is when are you going to use the coffee pot and microwave? On the pick? The inverters are a good thing some times but also have to think the space and weight of the batteries and wiring. If you are thinking just the odd time to keep the wife happy, maybe a little portable generator like a 2000 Honda or Yamaha.you take when you think you are going to use it and can still use around the house or hunting.

I have a single 8D house battery,Blue sea ACR to keep the house and starting batteries charged and the motor has a 70 amp alternator.We would just use the coffee maker in the morning and the microwave to reheat whatever the wife brings for meals.There is allso a coleman and a bbq on board.

Good marine inverters also act as shore power and as chargers when plugged in. I bought a heart inverter (2000 watt) 15 years ago and its still going strong.

I have a single 8D house battery,Blue sea ACR to keep the house and starting batteries charged and the motor has a 70 amp alternator.We would just use the coffee maker in the morning and the microwave to reheat whatever the wife brings for meals.There is allso a coleman and a bbq on board.

Best advice so far.

Lots of good stuff on this thread. Basically remember that a 1500 Watt heater or coffee maker will require at least a 2000 Watt source, minimum. More importantly, you will need a solid battery bank to store that much amp/ hours. An extra 8-D should cover it, however you need the means to store it and consider the extra weight when mounting it.

Since you have an 8D already, I think you should install a starting battery and run them into a selector switch, ensuring you have a back up always.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good thing you have all those ponies on the back end , to help with all the extra weight.

Waffles would be too.. Ya waffle maker...... just teasing man.. if you pull up the rigger on one side and drop the bumpers ill pull up for a double double :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
Back